Printing with Overlays

Post by Brad Rosma » Thu, 18 Jul 2002 08:50:56

I am trying to create an invoice that will print using an overlay created on
the PC.  I have followed all of the instructions on this that I can find.  I
created an AFP300 printer on my PC, printed to disk using the AFP300
printer, CPYFRMPCD to a file I created w/ record length of 32766, created an
overlay using CRTOVL and attached it to my print file specifying
DEVTYPE(*AFPDS).  My test is very simple, just one line, centered, bold and
underline that says "INVOICE OVERLAY SAMPLE".  When I print the invoice
however, the overlay is where I want it to be, centered, bold and underline,
but instead of the words I am getting garbled characters.

Does anybody have experience with this and know what I have missed?  Any
help on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brad

Printing with Overlays

Post by russandsand » Thu, 18 Jul 2002 15:26:47

Did you set the properties on the AFP driver to "overlay"? Many default to
Page Segement.

Did you set Level Check to *NO on the physical file?

Have you tried using an AFP240 driver?

RT

Quote:> I am trying to create an invoice that will print using an overlay created
on
> the PC.  I have followed all of the instructions on this that I can find.
> created an AFP300 printer on my PC, printed to disk using the AFP300
> printer, CPYFRMPCD to a file I created w/ record length of 32766, created
an
> overlay using CRTOVL and attached it to my print file specifying
> DEVTYPE(*AFPDS).  My test is very simple, just one line, centered, bold
and
> underline that says "INVOICE OVERLAY SAMPLE".  When I print the invoice
> however, the overlay is where I want it to be, centered, bold and
underline,
> but instead of the words I am getting garbled characters.

> Does anybody have experience with this and know what I have missed?  Any
> help on this will be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks,

> Brad

Printing with Overlays

Post by Ugo Gagliardell » Thu, 18 Jul 2002 17:42:39

[cut]
Quote:> underline that says "INVOICE OVERLAY SAMPLE".  When I print the invoice
> however, the overlay is where I want it to be, centered, bold and underline,
> but instead of the words I am getting garbled characters.

It appear as you're using font substitution instead of print windows
font as graphics.
This option is non available on winnt/2k (my workstation) so I cannot be
very helpfull, by the way I think you should select your host code page,
or use print text as graphics instead but the resulting file will be
bigger and therefore the overlay will print a little slower.
You can verify my thought displaying the overlay with CA afp viewer, it
you see correctly your sample text, it's it.

--
Dr.Ugo Gagliardelli,Modena,Italy-Certified uindoscrasher-AlcoolInside
Spaccamaroni andate a cagare/Spammers not welcome

Printing with Overlays

Post by Mike Fau » Thu, 18 Jul 2002 21:31:10

This is usually caused by incorrect font translations from the overlay
to your printer.  To correct this un-check the "Use Outline Fonts"
option on the printer driver.

Mike Faust
Check out my book "The iSeries and AS400 Programmer's Guide to Cool
Things" from MC Press at http://www.mc-store.com/isasprogguid.html
also look for other tips and tricks at
http://www.geocities.com/mikeffaust

> I am trying to create an invoice that will print using an overlay created on
> the PC.  I have followed all of the instructions on this that I can find.  I
> created an AFP300 printer on my PC, printed to disk using the AFP300
> printer, CPYFRMPCD to a file I created w/ record length of 32766, created an
> overlay using CRTOVL and attached it to my print file specifying
> DEVTYPE(*AFPDS).  My test is very simple, just one line, centered, bold and
> underline that says "INVOICE OVERLAY SAMPLE".  When I print the invoice
> however, the overlay is where I want it to be, centered, bold and underline,
> but instead of the words I am getting garbled characters.

> Does anybody have experience with this and know what I have missed?  Any
> help on this will be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks,

> Brad

Printing with Overlays

Post by Brad Rosma » Sat, 20 Jul 2002 01:42:28

Thanks guys, this solved my problem.  On the properties for the printer,
under fonts, I needed to un-select "Use substitution table."  Thank you all
for your suggestions.  This is why I love this group.  I just worked my way
through your answers until I found something that  I hadn't tried yet.  BTW,
I wish I'd known about this years ago.  What a great tool.

Thanks again,

Brad

> [cut]
> > underline that says "INVOICE OVERLAY SAMPLE".  When I print the invoice
> > however, the overlay is where I want it to be, centered, bold and
underline,
> > but instead of the words I am getting garbled characters.
> It appear as you're using font substitution instead of print windows
> font as graphics.
> This option is non available on winnt/2k (my workstation) so I cannot be
> very helpfull, by the way I think you should select your host code page,
> or use print text as graphics instead but the resulting file will be
> bigger and therefore the overlay will print a little slower.
> You can verify my thought displaying the overlay with CA afp viewer, it
> you see correctly your sample text, it's it.

> --
> Dr.Ugo Gagliardelli,Modena,Italy-Certified uindoscrasher-AlcoolInside
> Spaccamaroni andate a cagare/Spammers not welcome
> Spamers iros a la mierda/Spamers allez vous faire foutre
> Spammers loop schijten/Spammers macht Euch vom Acker

1. AFP printing with overlays

Actually just about any Windows application that can print to a Windows
print driver can be used for AFP form design. We use MS Word extensively and
it's actually quite simple.

Regards,
Richard Schoen
RJS Software Systems Inc.
"The AS/400 Report and Data Delivery Experts"

Web site: http://www.rjssoft.com

2. Welcome to comp.unix.shell [Frequent posting]

3. Trouble printing overlays via CA400

4. Some good links for CCNA/CCDA +++

5. AFP Overlays and very slow printing

6. Postgres Function Proble

7. Printing overlays on IBM Network Printers

8. HP MC / Service Guard / Oracle 8i

9. Advanced Function Printing Overlays

10. Printing, overlays, PSF, remote outq, ... HELP

11. AFP and overlays

12. C/S Screen Overlays

13. Color overlays on AFP forms...