16-bit ODBC + AS/400

Post by Rob Goe » Sat, 16 Dec 1995 04:00:00

This is probably an oft asked question.. I have a potential contract with
a client running an AS/400 (V2R3 I believe) with PC Support.  I am NOT
AS/400 proficient!  I understand the files I require access to on the 400
are ebcdic packed decimal format (if that's even relevant).

What I need is an odbc driver s.t. I can talk to the AS/400 files from
either Visual Basic 3.0 &/or Excel (VBA).

Do such odbc drivers exist, either as freeware or $, are they available on
the net anywhere, who sells them etc. etc.?

Thanks VERY much for any information you can share.  Both a public as well
as an e-mail response are appreciated.

TIA

--

16-bit ODBC + AS/400

Post by Martin Kjallm » Tue, 19 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Rob,

I've heard of the following drivers:

Client Access (requires V3R1)
ShowCase
NetSoft
Rumba

The drivers perform the necessary conversion from packed to decimal,
EBCDIC to ASCII etc, but be prepared for LONG response times. I've not
seen response times lower than one second for simple SQL statements.

BR

Martin Kjallman
Cortex International

says...

Quote:

>This is probably an oft asked question.. I have a potential contract
with
>a client running an AS/400 (V2R3 I believe) with PC Support.  I am NOT
>AS/400 proficient!  I understand the files I require access to on the
400
>are ebcdic packed decimal format (if that's even relevant).

>What I need is an odbc driver s.t. I can talk to the AS/400 files from
>either Visual Basic 3.0 &/or Excel (VBA).

>Do such odbc drivers exist, either as freeware or $, are they available
on
>the net anywhere, who sells them etc. etc.?

>Thanks VERY much for any information you can share.  Both a public as
well
>as an e-mail response are appreciated.

>TIA

>--
>Rob Goerz, Victoria, BC, Canada         Internet:

16-bit ODBC + AS/400

Post by Tim Bro » Thu, 21 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>This is probably an oft asked question.. I have a potential contract with
>a client running an AS/400 (V2R3 I believe) with PC Support.  I am NOT
>AS/400 proficient!  I understand the files I require access to on the 400
>are ebcdic packed decimal format (if that's even relevant).
>What I need is an odbc driver s.t. I can talk to the AS/400 files from
>either Visual Basic 3.0 &/or Excel (VBA).
>Do such odbc drivers exist, either as freeware or $, are they available on
>the net anywhere, who sells them etc. etc.?
>Thanks VERY much for any information you can share.  Both a public as well
>as an e-mail response are appreciated.

  HTTP://WWW.STAREWARE.COM - This has demo versions of StarWare's
16bit & 32bit ODBC drivers.

Attachemate (www.attachemate.com) also provides a 16bit ODBC driver
(read/write) with their Rally! Terminal emulation product (~$150US I
believe)

We currently use Rally's ODBC driver to pull data from the AS/400 into
Excel 4.0.  Works fine.

16-bit ODBC + AS/400

Post by Jerry Drap » Fri, 05 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>This is probably an oft asked question.. I have a potential contract with
>a client running an AS/400 (V2R3 I believe) with PC Support.  I am NOT
>AS/400 proficient!  I understand the files I require access to on the 400
>are ebcdic packed decimal format (if that's even relevant).
>What I need is an odbc driver s.t. I can talk to the AS/400 files from
>either Visual Basic 3.0 &/or Excel (VBA).
>Do such odbc drivers exist, either as freeware or $, are they available on
>the net anywhere, who sells them etc. etc.?
>Thanks VERY much for any information you can share.  Both a public as well
>as an e-mail response are appreciated.
>TIA
>--

The Netsoft ODBC is made by HiT Software and is very good.  Synapse
also sells the full read/write version of the HiT Software ODBC as
part of their WinAPPC display, printer, file xfer, etc CA400
replacement.

Jerry

16-bit ODBC + AS/400

Post by Pete Ha » Sat, 06 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Draper), the following was written:

Quote:>> Do such odbc drivers exist, either as freeware or $, are they
>> available on the net anywhere, who sells them etc. etc.?

I don't know of any freeware. There are several vendors on the WWW. I've
got quite a few on my links page at
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/pe teh/links~1.htm

hth

--
Pete Hall

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/peteh/

1. 32-bit vs. 16-bit

We have an application made up of modules written in CL, C and RPG. It is basically an agent that communicates via TCP/IP with a foreign 'master'. The agent modules have been created and compiled on a 32-bit AS400. We tried installing the agent on a 64-bit machine and the installation procedure told us that it was 'converting to 64-bit' and then hung. My questions are:- To what extent are the 32-bit and 64-bit machines compatible? Should we be upgrading our 32-bit machine to one of the new 64-bit machines? Can we compile on the 64-bit machine and create executables that will run on a 32-bit AS400? Why is there air?....:)

Any and all input would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks

Neville Kroeger

   -**** Posted from Supernews, Discussions Start Here(tm) ****-
http://www.supernews.com/ - Host to the World's Discussions & Usenet

2. HP200LX and Connectivity Kit Problems

3. *.FDF file for ASCII-transfer works on 16-bit not 32-bit CAWIN

4. Printing from a W2kpro to a zerox docucenter 255 probelm.

5. 16 bit CA API's unavailable for use when using 32 bit tcp/ip

6. TEX guide sought ...

7. Converting APPC API's from 16 bit to 32 bit ?

8. DE packets - what are they?

9. 16-bit ODBC + AS/400

10. 16 bit connection fram PC to AS/400

11. 16-bit application with APPC communication Win95->AS/400 ??

12. 16 bit RUMBA/400 under Windows NT

13. 16 bit app need 16 bit ODBC connection