6400 printer configuration problem

Post by AARONPE » Fri, 12 May 2000 04:00:00

I just got in a new 6400-10 to install on my 9404-E20 with V3R2. I have auto
config on and when it tries to configure the printer when the printer is set
for IPDS it gives me this error when the printer is set to emulate a 4234-12.
 Message ID . . . . . . :   CPF263C       Severity . . . . . . . :   40
 Message type . . . . . :   Escape
 Date sent  . . . . . . :   05/11/00      Time sent  . . . . . . :   14:15:19

 Message . . . . :   Automatic configuration failed to complete.
 Cause . . . . . :   An error occurred during automatic configuration that made
   it impossible to continue.  Description may be built, but may not be usable.
 Recovery  . . . :   See the previously listed messages in the QSYSARB job log.
    Correct the errors.  Then try the request again.

When we change it to a 4234-02, it works correctly, but the IPDS is no longer
available which is why I bought the printer in the first place. Any suggestions
on what the problem is and what it takes to fix it.

6400 printer configuration problem

Post by Rodney Johnso » Sat, 13 May 2000 04:00:00

You might want to check with IBM Boulder for possible microcode updates.  It
almost sounds like the printer is not properly emulating a 4243-12 (ie, reporting
as a 4234-12).

--
Rodney A Johnson
Technical Team Lead for AS/400 Spool

my employer, IBM.  All responsibility for the statements
sender.

6400 printer configuration problem

Post by Choppe » Sat, 13 May 2000 04:00:00

Not sure on that exact model, but on other IBM Printers I've done,  you have
to set both the standard (SCS?) address and an IPDS address.

Also, calling IBM Printing Systems Support usually gets you good results.

RT

>I just got in a new 6400-10 to install on my 9404-E20 with V3R2. I have
auto
>config on and when it tries to configure the printer when the printer is
set
>for IPDS it gives me this error when the printer is set to emulate a
4234-12.
> Message ID . . . . . . :   CPF263C       Severity . . . . . . . :   40
> Message type . . . . . :   Escape
> Date sent  . . . . . . :   05/11/00      Time sent  . . . . . . :
14:15:19

Post by Pat Barbe » Tue, 16 May 2000 04:00:00

> Not sure on that exact model, but on other IBM Printers I've done,  you have
> to set both the standard (SCS?) address and an IPDS address.

The printer only has ONE address

The 4234 is the printer the 6400 will emulate.....

The 4234 was/is  IPDS and I assume that you have the twinax version
with the IPDS option ????

Delete any printer device description with the address in question
Let the system autoconfig a good devd...

You will proably have to vary off the device and change the option
to IPDS=*yes

I have installed several 6400 printers on CISC machines with no
problems.

> >I just got in a new 6400-10 to install on my 9404-E20 with V3R2. I have
> auto
> >config on and when it tries to configure the printer when the printer is
> set
> >for IPDS it gives me this error when the printer is set to emulate a
> 4234-12.

1. IBM 6400 Printer Configuration -- IPDS/AFP?

I have a customer who purchased an IBM 6400 printer to connect to an
iSeries (AS/400).  They purchased it because the printer is fully
IPDS-capable and we have IPDS-coded barcodes.  They have it installed
as a *LAN printer, and in order for it to be IPDS-enabled, the system
is requiring AFP, an additional-cost software product.

My question is, is there any way to connect the printer to the
iSeries/AS400 without this additional software product?  If it's
defined as a *LAN printer, it looks like AFP is required, but there is
nothing in any of the literature on the 6400 to indicate at all that
AFP is required.  Since most printer will be connected via an Ethernet
connection, it seems like there *must* be some way to connect the
printer directly to the iSeries via IP without requiring AFP.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

2. Info on sim plus plus

3. printer 6400 15cpi problem

4. Local domain added to some requests

5. CA 5250 Printer Emualtion & IBM 6400 Printer Problems.

6. Mouse Problems

7. IBM 6400 printer and Ethernet

8. Genetic Algorithm vs Neural Networks ?

9. New 6400 printer

10. printer 6400

11. IPDS on 6400 printer

12. Connection IBM printer 6400 via TCP/IP

13. IBM 6400 Printer