AS400 Spool File to IFS file?

Post by Dean Hutchin » Wed, 20 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I am trying to copy an AS400 spool file to the IFS file system.   Can
someone please provide assistance on the steps that I need to complete to
make this possible?   I have encountered several issues:

1.  CPYSPLF - this allows you to copy a spool file to a PF, but not to a
source PF.
2.  CPYTOSTMF - this allows you to copy a source PF member to the IFS, but
not a non-source PF

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you.

AS400 Spool File to IFS file?

Post by Karl Hanso » Wed, 20 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I am trying to copy an AS400 spool file to the IFS file system.   Can
> someone please provide assistance on the steps that I need to complete to
> make this possible?   I have encountered several issues:

> 1.  CPYSPLF - this allows you to copy a spool file to a PF, but not to a
> source PF.
> 2.  CPYTOSTMF - this allows you to copy a source PF member to the IFS, but
> not a non-source PF

Try the COPY (aka CPY) command to get from PF to a "stream" file.  I
just did a quick experiment:
 > DSPUSRPRF USRPRF(FRED) TYPE(*ALL) OUTPUT(*PRINT)
 > CRTPF FILE(QTEMP/USRPRF) RCDLEN(132)
 > CPYSPLF FILE(QPUSRPRF) TOFILE(QTEMP/USRPRF)
 > cpy obj('/QSYS.LIB/QTEMP.LIB/USRPRF.FILE/USRPRF.MBR')
       toobj('/QDLS/FRED/USRPRF.PRT')
       tocodepage(*PCASCII) dtafmt(*text)

Mapping a WinNT network drive to IFS, I used WordPad to view the
USRPRF.PRT file and it looked like I would expect.

(Btw I agree it would be great if one could do this in one step with
CPYSPLF.)

--

Karl Hanson

AS400 Spool File to IFS file?

Post by Patrick Townsen » Wed, 20 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Dean,

You can do this in two steps. First use CPYSPLF to copy the spool file
to a database flat file. Then use CPYTOSTMF to copy to an IFS file
directory.

The CPYSPLF command will eliminate blank lines in the report. It can
make them a little unreadable. If you specify control characters on the
CPYSPLF command you can then interpret them to expand the report before
copying to your IFS directory.

Hth,
Patrick

--
IBM AS/400 communications, FTP automation, and network security
software and consulting services.

http://www.patownsend.com

  townsend.vcf
< 1K Download

AS400 Spool File to IFS file?

Post by Bradley V. Sto » Thu, 21 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>I am trying to copy an AS400 spool file to the IFS file system.   Can
>someone please provide assistance on the steps that I need to complete to
>make this possible?   I have encountered several issues:

>1.  CPYSPLF - this allows you to copy a spool file to a PF, but not to a
>source PF.
>2.  CPYTOSTMF - this allows you to copy a source PF member to the IFS, but
>not a non-source PF

>Any assistance would be appreciated.

>Thank you.

Check out my shareware tool called SPLTOOL (spooled file tools).  The
easy to use display (very similar to WRKSPLF) lets you select a
spooled file, and then you input the IFS location and you're done.

It will even format documents for browsers if you specify the HTM or
HTML extention.

Bradley V. Stone
http://prairie.lakes.com/~bvstone
"Closing my my mouth before I scream.  No one can shake my self-esteem." - YJM