NOTICE: IBM announcement 299-114 apparently full of shit.

NOTICE: IBM announcement 299-114 apparently full of shit.

Post by Charles Wi » Sat, 24 Jul 1999 04:00:00

My apologies for the subject line, however it most definitely conveyss my
frustration on the following matter.

I would like to quote IBM software announcement 299-144 dated May 11,
1999.

"Overview
ValuePak for AS/400 Printing (5769-PPK) is included in OS/400 V4R4."

Now as I read it, this means that 5769-PPK in now included in OS/400 as
opposed to being a separately chargeable feature.

My IBM Business Partner agreed with my interpretation of the
announcement.  However, it struck him as a little strange so he attempted
to get some clarification from IBM.

After spending a number of days communicating to various people inside
IBM, some of whom said "Yes, 5769-PPK is included at no charge in v4r4"
and some of whom said "No, 5769-PPK is not included".  We finally have
what supposedly is a definitive answer. "No , it is not included"

I would be interested in comments from anyone on this matter.  You can
take a look at the announcement yourself at:

http://www2.ibmlink.ibm.com/cgi-
bin/master?xh=cR7ZwV$xRCj0*p0USenGnN9332&request=announcements&parms=H%5f
299%2d114&xhi=usa%2emain%7cannouncements%5e&xfr=N

Thanks for letting me vent :-)

--
Charles Wilt
Miami Luken, Inc.

--->remove the no.spam.

NOTICE: IBM announcement 299-114 apparently full of shit.

Smells like a class action lawsuit to me.

--
NOTICE TO BULK E-MAILERS: Pursuant to US Code, Title 47,
Chapter 5, Subchapter II, 227,

  NOSPAM_twh.vcf
< 1K Download

1. IBM - Please take notice regarding documentation

I had to think long and hard about this post. I don't like posting such
things. I don't like to complain, particularly about IBM because they
catch considerable unwarranted flaming.

However, I can't remain silent on the issue with respect to ALL the
things IBM has done recently regarding documentation. For the record,
I'm a seasoned IBM midrange professional (over 20 years) and have many
years of progressive technical support experience. As such, I think I
speak with some level of understanding when it comes to documentation.

I simply ask those at IBM - Is your goal to prevent us from having any
AS/400 information? If so, congratulations, you're on the right track.
You've done a fine job of either hiding information or restricting
access to it. Hats off to you.

Now, all snideness aside, let's look at this rationally.

InfoCenter
----------
The InfoCenter stuff may be new, but it's not modern (I said the same
thing once at a late-in-their-careers Rolling Stones concert when he
announced a new song). For starters, it took me forever to even find the
portal to it. I kept wondering where V4R4 docs were, and one day I
accidentally stumbled across InfoCenter. Great I found it. Well, not so
great, I can't find anything in it. What a pain. And if you ever do find
what you need, you don't have the functionality you once had. Give us
back the ability to find things, search things, and even print them if
we so desire. What were you folks thinking when you came up with this
InfoCenter thing, anyhow?

Knowledge Base
--------------
IBM giveth, IBM taketh away. That's not very good policy as far as I'm
concerned. Especially given that this is documentation. Why on Earth are
you folks taking this away from the public? Does IBM simply not care
about those in the trenches that are trying to develop applications for
their hardware so that it will sell? It is incredible to me that IBM no
longer sees fit to share this little bit of information. Is this some
marketer's idea of a way of increasing Support Line revenue?

Now, if these were attempts at improving things for us, then I thank you
for your consideration. However, I add that you failed in your attempt
and should expedite the process of rectifying your mistakes.

I'll close by offering my apologies for the harsh nature and criticism
in my words. I think it is important for IBM to understand the
importance of documentation and given what's happened to the on-line
stuff, the CD stuff, the Knowledge Base stuff, the InfoSeeker stuff,...
well, suffice it to say that customers and users around the world are
now suffering for it. Hopefully, IBM will fix their problem before they,
too, suffer from it and lose ground with AS/400 sales.

Gary Guthrie
Editor, The RPG Source at http://www.news400.com/TheRPGSource
Technical Editor, NEWS/400 at http://www.news400.com

2. Do-it-yourself HP95 communications

3. IBM Announcement August 31, 1998

4. Partial Diff Equation

5. IBM Announcement: Java Technology Preview 1.1.4 for AS/400 now available

6. WIN 2000 Workstation

7. NT and the AS/400 (Was SPG Announcement will lead to a strong PSP/IBM reaction)

8. Question about MySQL and lwp_mutex_lock and lwp_mutex_wakeup

9. PC/5250 full screen i CA 95/NT not full

10. Why PC/5250 full screen not full

11. Disk full after IBM drive replacement

12. FTP between AS/400 and SCO apparently remaps characters ?