Backup conventions

Post by Jean Hag » Sat, 02 Aug 2003 06:25:16

Hi, I'm a new user of MySQL on Linux.

I have been an Oracle DBA; and know that anyone familiar with Oracle takes
backup procedures very seriously....

Anyone have recommendations for nightly backup procedures for MySQL
(transactional) databases?  The literature seems a little ambiguous on this.

I did 'turn on' the general, binary and error logs.  Does anyone shut down
the MySQL daemon regularly?  Anyone use mysqldump, or do folks simply use a
file system backup?  We have tons of databases and tons of tables, so I'm
not really considering the lock/flush procedure on tables...

Any suggestions?

Backup conventions

Post by Simon Windso » Sun, 03 Aug 2003 08:12:29

Hi

Backups/recovery procedures for MySQL are very simple, and efficient.

The approach I take, is to

- Implement a replicated dual master

and

- Flush mysql db logs
- Use mysqldump <db> | gzip -c > <db>.sql.gz at a quiet time
- Copy mysql logs

This is essentially, the same process one would use with oracle.

Simon

> I have been an Oracle DBA; and know that anyone familiar with Oracle takes
> backup procedures very seriously....

> Anyone have recommendations for nightly backup procedures for MySQL
> (transactional) databases?  The literature seems a little ambiguous on
this.

> I did 'turn on' the general, binary and error logs.  Does anyone shut down
> the MySQL daemon regularly?  Anyone use mysqldump, or do folks simply use
> file system backup?  We have tons of databases and tons of tables, so I'm
> not really considering the lock/flush procedure on tables...

> Any suggestions?

> --

Quote:

> --
> The information in this e-mail and any attached files is confidential.
> It is intended solely for the use of the addressee.
> Any unauthorised disclosure or use is prohibited.

> If you are not the intended recipient of the message,
> please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents
> to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the
> information in any medium.

> MailScanner, http://www.mailscanner.info, and is believed to be clean.

MailScanner, http://www.mailscanner.info, and is believed to be clean.

1. naming convention

Is there any documentation on table/database naming conventions anywhere? I
have a table named with a '-' hyphen, and this caused me problems (could
not drop table).

mysql version 3.23

--
Ryan Williams

2. Win2000 Pro - Win2000 Server?

3. MySQL BOF @ OpenSource Convention...

4. ANN: CAJ 11.18 (Delayed Edition) TOC

5. Going to the Open Source Convention?

6. Wanted: Picasso IV

7. Database of Dialing Conventions / Rules Needed

8. Make Money Today!!

9. Request For Database Object Naming Conventions

10. Looking for Oracle Database Object Naming Convention Standards

11. Looking For Database Object Naming Conventions

12. naming conventions constraint

13. ODBC + Client Access and table name convention