index and data on different disks

Post by Andrey Kotrekh » Sat, 27 Jan 2001 17:57:58

Hi!
I have so many data more than my SCSI HDD.
But I can add large IDE HDD.

I have an idea put index files on one HDD and data files to another.
What do you think about this idea?

What is more effictive, leave data to SCSI HDD or leave indexes on SCSI?

index and data on different disks

Post by John Jense » Sun, 28 Jan 2001 05:03:24

Hardware-wise, probably not. It might depend on your configuration.
On my server, the only IDE connection is dedicated to the CD-ROM.
Everything else, except the floppy, is SCSI.

Maybe one of the gurus here has a way around it, but I think your
indexes are part of your data.

It sounds like your best bet is to get another SCSI, redistribute
your directories, and update your fstab to match. If you don't know
how to do that, you might be safer backing up everything important,
and reinstalling Linux, which will configure the new drive for you.
Do you have games and accessories that are expendable, which could
gain you some space?

> Hi!
> I have so many data more than my SCSI HDD.
> But I can add large IDE HDD.

> I have an idea put index files on one HDD and data files to another.
> What do you think about this idea?

> What is more effictive, leave data to SCSI HDD or leave indexes on
> SCSI?

John Jensen
Jensen's Directories
www.college-without-classes.com/

1. Problems with splitting data across different disks under Windows...

Hi,

I'm working under Windows 98 with MySQL version 3.23.29.
I tried to connect to a database that is on a different disk from the data
directory (g:\mysql\data).
So I created a file g:\mysql\data\pfi.sym containing the path
e:\databases\pfi.
I compiled with the USE_SYMDIR option and launched the server with -s
option.

When I execute the "SHOW DATABASES" command, I can see that "pfi" database
exists.
When I try to connect to "pfi" database, I get the message "unknown
database".
Did I do something wrong ?

I had a look in the code and got the error in mysql_change_db function.
I saw nothing in this function taking into account the symbolic links...

Thanks

Patrick

______________________________________

Patrick Fiche - Prologue Software (France)
Software Engineer

Internet : http://www.prologue-software.com

2. Oracle CLOB and Visual Basic

3. 2nd Post : Problems with splitting data across different disks under Windows...

4. using the ADMT to bring local user into the domain

5. Ram disk and solid state disks for data acceleration

6. .ASP page to insert data into .xls file

7. different versions of MySql return different data types ?

8. U.S. Backs Merging Net, Phone Numbers

9. "Indexes use different block sizes" error with preloading fulltext indexes.

10. db on different disks

11. mysql Innodb: Create different db on separate disks

12. move log files to a different disk.

13. mysql Innodb: Create different db on separate disks