Access hosts wildcard.

Post by Matthew Stanfie » Thu, 15 Jul 2004 03:54:25

Hi,

I'm setting up MySQL databases on 'shared server' space I've rented using
cPanel's 'MySQL Database' interface. I can add 'access hosts' (it's not
limited to localhost) and it says the % wildcard is allowed. Forgive me if
this is a trivial or annoying question (I can't find the answer anywhere)
but how do I just 'allow any host'? Presumably I use % in some way maybe
'%.%.%.%' (an all encompassing IP address with wildcards instead of
numbers) or maybe it's just '%'?

Thanks,

..matthew

Access hosts wildcard.

Post by Frederic Wenz » Thu, 15 Jul 2004 06:02:32

 > [...] how do I just 'allow any host'? [...]
 > maybe it's just '%'?

AFAIK, that's it.

Greetz
Fred

Access hosts wildcard.

Post by Matthew Stanfie » Thu, 15 Jul 2004 06:55:46

 > I'm setting up MySQL databases on 'shared server' space I've rented
 > using cPanel's 'MySQL Database' interface. I can add 'access hosts'
 > (it's not limited to localhost) and it says the % wildcard is allowed.
 > Forgive me if this is a trivial or annoying question (I can't find the
 > answer anywhere) but how do I just 'allow any host'? Presumably I use %
 > in some way maybe '%.%.%.%' (an all encompassing IP address with
 > wildcards instead of numbers) or maybe it's just '%'?

>  > [...] how do I just 'allow any host'? [...]
>  > maybe it's just '%'?

> AFAIK, that's it.

Thanks Frederic.

Does anyone know any different as this doesn't seem to be working? --But
maybe the problem lies elsewhere. :(

..matthew

Access hosts wildcard.

Post by SGr.. » Thu, 15 Jul 2004 22:22:56

You can test if you can "see" the server from your other user's machine by
trying to connect to it with telnet. On the other user's machine, open a
telnet session to the server's address on port 3306 and press ENTER a few
times. You should be able to pick the server's executable name and version
number out of the response.  If you cannot make this connection, you have
issues other than MySQL authentication.
(http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Can_not_connect_to_server.html)

MySQL allows you to specify for which addresses a user account will be

log in using that name only from that one address. To allow users to log in
from multiple addresses MySQL, allows for wildcards in the "host" field of
the "user" table.
(http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Connection_access.html)

Here is a defacto FAQ about debugging various "access denied" problems:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Access_denied.html

I have no experience with that particular product (cPanels interface) but
it _should_ allow you to run the MySQL commands GRANT and REVOKE to let you
manually work around any UI issue, if one
exists.(http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/GRANT.html)

Sorry I couldn't be more directly helpful,
Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine

                      Matthew Stanfield

                                               Fax to:
                      07/13/2004 05:51         Subject:  Re: Access hosts wildcard.
                      PM

 > I'm setting up MySQL databases on 'shared server' space I've rented
 > using cPanel's 'MySQL Database' interface. I can add 'access hosts'
 > (it's not limited to localhost) and it says the % wildcard is allowed.
 > Forgive me if this is a trivial or annoying question (I can't find the
 > answer anywhere) but how do I just 'allow any host'? Presumably I use %
 > in some way maybe '%.%.%.%' (an all encompassing IP address with
 > wildcards instead of numbers) or maybe it's just '%'?

>  > [...] how do I just 'allow any host'? [...]
>  > maybe it's just '%'?

> AFAIK, that's it.

Thanks Frederic.

Does anyone know any different as this doesn't seem to be working? --But
maybe the problem lies elsewhere. :(

..matthew

Access hosts wildcard.

Post by Matthew Stanfie » Fri, 16 Jul 2004 23:59:04

Shawn,

Many thanks for your very informative reply. It seems my server host will
not allow remote direct access to the databases; access is only by using
the cPanel software, which also gives access to a web interface of
something called phpMyAdmin which works just about ok for very basic
admin. Despite this they still have the facility to add 'access hosts'
(which they then display as being added) giving the impression remote
access is allowed, in fact this is redundant. Telnetting got no response
from the 3306 port.

All rather tedious but hardly the end of the world.

Thanks and regards,

..matthew

> You can test if you can "see" the server from your other user's machine by
> trying to connect to it with telnet. On the other user's machine, open a
> telnet session to the server's address on port 3306 and press ENTER a few
> times. You should be able to pick the server's executable name and version
> number out of the response.  If you cannot make this connection, you have
> issues other than MySQL authentication.
> (http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Can_not_connect_to_server.html)

> MySQL allows you to specify for which addresses a user account will be

> log in using that name only from that one address. To allow users to log in
> from multiple addresses MySQL, allows for wildcards in the "host" field of
> the "user" table.
> (http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Connection_access.html)

> Here is a defacto FAQ about debugging various "access denied" problems:
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Access_denied.html

> I have no experience with that particular product (cPanels interface) but
> it _should_ allow you to run the MySQL commands GRANT and REVOKE to let you
> manually work around any UI issue, if one
> exists.(http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/GRANT.html)

> Sorry I couldn't be more directly helpful,
> Shawn Green
> Database Administrator
> Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine

1. problem with wildcards in host field .

Hi everybody :  I'm experiencing a trouble with user permissions and
wildcards in the host field ( % ). I have several MySQL databases and we
connect to them  through myodbc to Centura team developer apps . Since
the beginning we create all the users with a wildcard in the host field
because we needed to connect from  different LAN ' s . in the other hand
,we build a web server with apache - php - mysql and started to create
app's which we used to connect to the 'stand alone' MySQL Servers.
Everything was fine, until  the web server crashed . So, we needed to
move all the php app's to one of our MySQL  'stand alone' servers .
since then we can not  connect through php to the databases located in

' and thats o.k. the questions is , the wildcard in host field doesn't
involve  localhost o a machine host's ? Which kind of permissions we
have to put in host fields to have a mobility and not to be afraid to
move our servers for an emergency ?  the mysql version i'm using is 4.0.14 .

Thanks in Advance and happy weekend ? :-)

Saludos / Regards ,
Alvaro.

2. Hidden view...

3. wildcard '%' for host in mysql.user table broken

4. drapery control, alternative for add-a-motor?

5. SHOW SLAVE HOSTS print master host also.

6. beta 2 or final

7. ERROR 2005: Unknown MySql Server Host 'host' (11001).

8. Vms "layered products" updates

9. Local Host vs ISP Host Name In Connect Command

10. replication only works for user x from host x, not host y

11. Access to mysql on remote host

12. Access to Table from any Host on Internet

13. setting user for accessing mysql from a windows host