MySQL Server Question

Post by Nichola » Thu, 22 Jan 2004 05:18:49

Hello Everyone,

I downloaded and installed the
mysql-standard-4.0.17-apple-darwin6.8-powerpc.dmg
file from the mysql web site to my ibook running
Mac OSX Version 10.1.5 on it.

I read the documentation on the mysql site and it
said to do the following next:

shell> cd /usr/local/mysql
shell> sudo ./bin/mysqld_safe
(Enter your password, if necessary)

The server started running at this point but less then
one second later, the server killed itself. I looked
at the localhost.err file in the /usr/local/mysql/data
directory and it had the following text in it:

040117 10:35:09 mysqld started
dyld: /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld Undefined symbols:
/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld undefined reference to _localtime_r
expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
040117 10:35:10 mysqld ended

Has anyone else experienced this problem on their Mac?
Does anyone know how I can correct this issue?

I know that my version of OSX is a little old
as far as the mysql web site documentation says but
the installation process went smoothly without any
errors at all coming up.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

~~Nick

MySQL Server Question

Post by sulews » Thu, 22 Jan 2004 05:22:11

I'm running on 10.2.8 just fine.  I hear panther speeds up the ibooks.
But that is just what I read.

> Hello Everyone,

> I downloaded and installed the
> mysql-standard-4.0.17-apple-darwin6.8-powerpc.dmg
> file from the mysql web site to my ibook running
> Mac OSX Version 10.1.5 on it.

> I read the documentation on the mysql site and it
> said to do the following next:

> shell> cd /usr/local/mysql
> shell> sudo ./bin/mysqld_safe
> (Enter your password, if necessary)

> The server started running at this point but less then
> one second later, the server killed itself. I looked
> at the localhost.err file in the /usr/local/mysql/data
> directory and it had the following text in it:

> 040117 10:35:09 mysqld started
> dyld: /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld Undefined symbols:
> /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld undefined reference to _localtime_r
> expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
> 040117 10:35:10 mysqld ended

> Has anyone else experienced this problem on their Mac?
> Does anyone know how I can correct this issue?

> I know that my version of OSX is a little old
> as far as the mysql web site documentation says but
> the installation process went smoothly without any
> errors at all coming up.

> Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks in advance.

> ~~Nick

MySQL Server Question

Post by Nichola » Thu, 22 Jan 2004 05:30:37

Ok, thanks for the info.  As I said below I am using
Mac OSX version 10.1.5 which has been patched numerous times
from the apple web site.  I don't need to speed anything up
on my ibook since the database I am going to create is not
going to be used by multiple users.

~~Nick

Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:20:33 -0500
Subject: Re: MySQL Server Question