Upgrading from MySQL to MySQL max on a production server

Upgrading from MySQL to MySQL max on a production server

Post by Heikki Tuur » Wed, 12 Dec 2001 15:25:18

Hi!

I do not understand how replacing just the executable mysqld can make your
'mysql start' (or is it 'mysql.server start'?) script or safe_mysqld script
to search the executable from a different directory than it did before. Are
you sure you did not change anything else in the system?

Anyway, it is best that you make a new installation of MySQL-Max. The
version 3.23.38 is very old and many bugs have been fixed to .46.

From the manual I found a useful page:

http://www.mysql.com/doc/A/u/Automatic_start.html

There has been no change in MySQL table formats since .38, hence your
database should run ok with .46 -Max too. For MyISAM type tables MySQL and
MySQL -Max are equivalent.

But if you have somehow a nonstandard installation, or have edited the
startup scripts, better be prepared for some problems in starting up mysqld.

Regards,

Heikki
http://www.innodb.com
--
Order commercial MySQL/InnoDB support at https://order.mysql.com/

Hello,

We're needing to use MySQL-Max because we need the functionality provided by
InnoDB.

According to InnoDB's web site, all I have to do is download the tarball and
replace
the /usr/sbin/mysqld with the mysqld in the tarball.

I tried that on SuSE and I had to install a few other things and make a few
symlinks
too, but it did eventually work quite fine. However I was just trying that
method
on a redhat 7.0 production box and it doesn't work because when I call
/etc/init.d/mysql
start it says it can't find /usr/local/mysql/libexec/mysqld which is
interesting,
because I can't find any "libexec" directories associated with mysql on any
of my
linux boxes, no matter what distro.

Anyway (unless someone has an answer to the libexec problem), I think I'm
going
to need to upgrade my whole MySQL version to a full MySQL-Max installation.
Currently
we're running MySQL-3.23.38-1 from an RPM from mysql.com.

Our problem is that we are already using quite a few databases in our
current mysql
and we need to know _before_ we upgrade exactly what's going to happen to
the databases
we already have.

Will MySQL-Max  just start working with them without a hitch, or do we need
to go
through some sort of initialization routine? (note: we're not trying to
convert
our current DBs to InnoDB< that is a whole separate issue. We just want to
know
what we'll need to to be able to continue accessing the data once we install
MySQL-Max.

Is it perfectly compatible with MySQL(non-max)? Just backup, install and
/etc/init.d/mysql
start?

Or is there more to it then that?

Thanks a lot.

Jonathan Wilson
System Administrator

Cedar Creek Software     http://www.cedarcreeksoftware.com
Central Texas IT     http://www.centraltexasit.com

Upgrading from MySQL to MySQL max on a production server

Post by J » Thu, 13 Dec 2001 02:39:23

Quote:>Hi!

>I do not understand how replacing just the executable mysqld can make your
>'mysql start' (or is it 'mysql.server start'?) script or safe_mysqld script
>to search the executable from a different directory than it did before.

I do not understand it either, but I have done exactly that on both a SuSE 7.1 server and a RedHat server, and in both cases it then started looking in /usr/local/mysql for things. Neither the SuSE box nor the RedHat box had a /usr/local/mysql directory before.

Quote:>Are
>you sure you did not change anything else in the system?

I strongly assure you that I did not change the path, nor the my.cnf nor the init script nor any other thing on the whole system. Additionally, as soon as I run "mv mysqld mysqld_inno ; mv mysqld_redhat mysqld" I can call the init script restart and it immediately works fine again. What ever the problem is, it's hard-coded inside the mysql-max binary. I will say that I did not use the rpm, I used the tarball and copied mysqld out of the tarball's bin/ directory.

Quote:>Anyway, it is best that you make a new installation of MySQL-Max. The
>version 3.23.38 is very old and many bugs have been fixed to .46.

>>From the manual I found a useful page:

>http://www.mysql.com/doc/A/u/Automatic_start.html

>There has been no change in MySQL table formats since .38, hence your
>database should run ok with .46 -Max too. For MyISAM type tables MySQL and
>MySQL -Max are equivalent.

>But if you have somehow a nonstandard installation,

The SuSE installation is 100% standard SuSE, the RedHat installation is MySQL from an RPM from mysql.com, nothing edited or customized.

Thanks.

>or have edited the
>startup scripts, better be prepared for some problems in starting up mysqld.

>Regards,

>Heikki
>http://www.innodb.com
>--
>Order commercial MySQL/InnoDB support at https://order.mysql.com/

>Hello,

>We're needing to use MySQL-Max because we need the functionality provided by
>InnoDB.

>According to InnoDB's web site, all I have to do is download the tarball and
>replace
>the /usr/sbin/mysqld with the mysqld in the tarball.

>I tried that on SuSE and I had to install a few other things and make a few
>symlinks
>too, but it did eventually work quite fine. However I was just trying that
>method
>on a redhat 7.0 production box and it doesn't work because when I call
>/etc/init.d/mysql
>start it says it can't find /usr/local/mysql/libexec/mysqld which is
>interesting,
>because I can't find any "libexec" directories associated with mysql on any
>of my
>linux boxes, no matter what distro.

>Anyway (unless someone has an answer to the libexec problem), I think I'm
>going
>to need to upgrade my whole MySQL version to a full MySQL-Max installation.
>Currently
>we're running MySQL-3.23.38-1 from an RPM from mysql.com.

>Our problem is that we are already using quite a few databases in our
>current mysql
>and we need to know _before_ we upgrade exactly what's going to happen to
>the databases
>we already have.

>Will MySQL-Max  just start working with them without a hitch, or do we need
>to go
>through some sort of initialization routine? (note: we're not trying to
>convert
>our current DBs to InnoDB< that is a whole separate issue. We just want to
>know
>what we'll need to to be able to continue accessing the data once we install
>MySQL-Max.

>Is it perfectly compatible with MySQL(non-max)? Just backup, install and
>/etc/init.d/mysql
>start?

>Or is there more to it then that?

>Thanks a lot.

>Jonathan Wilson
>System Administrator

>Cedar Creek Software     http://www.cedarcreeksoftware.com
>Central Texas IT     http://www.centraltexasit.com

Jonathan Wilson
System Administrator

Cedar Creek Software     http://www.cedarcreeksoftware.com
Central Texas IT     http://www.centraltexasit.com

1. Tuning my production MySQL server (EMERGENCY)

Hiya forum..

I have my site powered by MySQL server running on
FreeBSD.
The site is facing problems when the traffic
increases.Database connectivity is through JDBC.My
poolman is managing the
database connections with 30 connections set, and is
growable.People have started getting error when the
rush increases...

Error : Communication failure : Bad Handshake.
          Is there a MySQL server running on the port
          connectivity error.

I suspect the max_connection variable which is default
set to 100 reaches and the server refuses further
connection.We have probed for any unused database
connections hold by the Java.But we have religiously
returned the connection back to the poolmanager after
its used...

I am running my development MySQL server on windows
NT. Having gone thru the MySQL manual..for performance
tuning the server,we came across many variables which
can affect the server performance.

So i issue the following commands:

c:\> cd mysql\bin

start the server    c:\>mysqld
set the variable    c:\>mysqld -O back_log=200 --help

Looks like it updates the server..but when i see it
thru the WinMySQLAdmin ,after restarting the server
again ,it does not reflect there and displays the
default settings.

We have a production server running....Can any
experienced people guide me how to update this server
variable onto my remote server.

Thanx.

Vijay Khanna
System Analyst
www.spsoftware.com
Ph: 09120 - 4006154
INDIA

2. Returned mail: see transcript for details

3. extension to TUNING PRODUCTION MySQL SERVER

4. 0vpvX5BjqpC04Crnhd02CzWxXZXOMniMj

5. How to configure LDAP in pine?

6. Mysql on Production Servers

7. A4000 boot problems

8. Upgrading from MySQL Max 3.23 to 4.1.x

9. Tuning production MySQL server

10. difference between mysql max version and non-max version

11. It is time to upgrade the production database.

12. Time to upgrade the production database