newbie installation question

Post by Bailo, Joh » Thu, 24 Apr 2003 03:28:02

Please tell me if this is not the correct place to ask a newbie install
question, I didn't see any list that was specifically for installs, so here
goes:

Platform: redhat 7.3, mySql 4.0.9-0

I downloaded the *.rpm's from a mirror site ( ftp.orst.edu
<ftp://ftp.orst.edu>  )

Errata:

http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Linux-RPM.html
<http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Linux-RPM.html>
2.1.1 Installing MySQL on Linux says:

To perform a standard minimal installation, run:
shell> rpm -i MySQL-server-VERSION.i386.rpm MySQL-client-VERSION.i386.rpm

But there is no MySQL-server-4.0.9-0.rpm, there is a MySQL-4.0.9-0.i386.rpm
which I assume is the server.

Fine, I went ahead and installed the client and the server, when I look at
my process list I see:

  PID TTY          TIME CMD
12533 ?        00:00:00 mysqld_safe
12556 ?        00:00:03 mysqld
12558 ?        00:00:00 mysqld
12559 ?        00:00:00 mysqld
12560 ?        00:00:00 mysqld
12561 ?        00:00:00 mysqld
12562 ?        00:00:00 mysqld
12563 ?        00:00:00 mysqld
12564 ?        00:00:00 mysqld
12565 ?        00:00:00 mysqld
12566 ?        00:00:00 mysqld

Should there be that many daemons ?

newbie installation question

Post by Dathan Vance Pattishal » Thu, 24 Apr 2003 03:36:27

Well in linux threads show up as processes
So, what you're seeing there is the safe_mysqld, a shell script, that
started 12 threads. Think of threads as lightweight processes that share
resources, not like forked processes where each process has its own
allocation / copy of resources from the parent process.

So, to sum it up it's okay to have that many, and depending on how much
memory you have you can run much much more.