My week end nightmare

Post by davi » Sat, 08 Jan 2000 04:00:00

http://icards.mac.com/WebObjects/iCards

I'm wondering what is the technology used behind this page.

The result is a jpeg file ???

It's great, but I wille certainly no sleep tonight.

My week end nightmare

Post by David Phillip Oste » Sun, 09 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> http://icards.mac.com/WebObjects/iCards

> I'm wondering what is the technology used behind this page.
> The result is a jpeg file ???
> It's great, but I wille certainly no sleep tonight.

Can you be more specific? What do you see as difficult about this?

My week end nightmare

Post by davi » Sun, 09 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>> http://icards.mac.com/WebObjects/iCards

>> I'm wondering what is the technology used behind this page.
>> The result is a jpeg file ???
>> It's great, but I wille certainly no sleep tonight.

>Phillip Oster  wrote > Can you be more specific? What do you see as difficult

about this?

For me the difficulty is to dynamicaly generate a graphic file containing a
specific message with a specific font. I'm wonderring which commercial
application can do this.

David

My week end nightmare

Post by Tony Lewi » Sun, 09 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> For me the difficulty is to dynamicaly generate a graphic file containing a
> specific message with a specific font. I'm wonderring which commercial
> application can do this.

Lots of them. It's not that hard to take a bit-mapped version of anything
displayed on the screen and turn it into a file of any graphic format (including
JPEG).

You can go get some sleep now.

Tony

My week end nightmare

Post by David M. Palme » Sun, 09 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> For me the difficulty is to dynamicaly generate a graphic file containing a
> specific message with a specific font. I'm wonderring which commercial
> application can do this.

You can even do it with AppleScript by scripting Corel Draw/Paint.

--

        http://www.clark.net/pub/dmpalmer/

My week end nightmare

Post by Lord Apolly » Tue, 25 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> For me the difficulty is to dynamicaly generate a graphic file containing a
> specific message with a specific font. I'm wonderring which commercial
> application can do this.

On UNIX, we've been able to do it with PHP3 (dynamic web content language)
and the "gd" graphics library with the freetype library.  Very easy.  On a
Macintosh web-server, WTFK.

=R=

--
The reply-to-address is real and will expire on 12:01AM 1-Mar-2000.
Spammers: You will lose your network access.  Guaranteed.

My week end nightmare

Post by David Phillip Oste » Tue, 25 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> For me the difficulty is to dynamicaly generate a graphic file
> containing a
> specific message with a specific font. I'm wonderring which commercial
> application can do this.

What's the big deal? You have an application with a name that ends in
the extension .acgi in the folder you are publishing with the Personal
Web Sharing control panel. It gets called with a "handle CGI request"
(to see this, use Script Editor's "Open Dictionary..." menu command to
open the "Standard Additions" file, in the "Scripting Addtitions"
folder.) (an .acgi rather than a .cgi, so it will get called repeatedly
to field requests, so you won't have to pay the cost to keep launching
it and quitting it.)

The program extracts its arguments from the appleEvent. It uses
Quickdraw to draw on the pixmap of an offscreen GWorld. it uses
Quicxktime Graphic Importers to copy the contents of the offscreen
GWorld into a JPEG file in a handle. It returns that handle as the
result of the AppleEvent. Personal web sharing returns it to you as the
result of the URL.

All straight forward, standard Macintosh system calls. No magic.

1. Voice modems - the nightmare never ends

Hi all,

I really am not happy with TAPI and its support for voice modems. I
wish that my whole project using raw AT commands and serial port
access from the beginning.

Anyway, what I need to do is to disable the modem's built-in
disconnect detection before I place a call. I already know the proper
AT command for doing this. For the curious, the command is
AT#CLS=8;#VTD=0,0,0 for AT# modems and AT+FCLASS=8;+VDT=0,0 for AT+
modems. I'm testing this on an AT# modem.

So what I do is enter TAPI passthrough mode and send the command using
WriteFile. (Of course, I tried using ReadFile to get back the
response, but I wasn't able to receive anything. Using
WaitForSingleObject on the overlapped handle just hung indefinitely.)
I go back and check the modem logs to find out that the command was
never sent (unless it just didn't get logged). I'm sure the WriteFile
was successful, since GetOverlappedResult reported the proper number
of bytes. What's worse, when I take the modem out of passthrough mode,
the modem was reset (with the command "AT"), causing the disconnection
detection setting to be overridden!

I'm at a wits end. Any help at this point is appreciated. I'm using
TAPI 2.1.

Thanks,
--Two Magic Lovers

2. How Do I stop send mail expanding aliases in the TO field of a mail

3. CFCSEIC News Briefs Week Ending May 22, 1998

4. Can I rename my Swap?

5. CFCSEIC News Briefs Week Ending May 15, 1998

6. 17c73a pic programmer

7. CFCSEIC News Briefs Week Ending May 8, 1998

8. Creating a new project using VS.Net

9. CFCSEIC News Briefs Week Ending May 1, 1998

10. CFCSEIC News Briefs Week Ending April 24, 1998

11. CFCSEIC News Briefs Week Ending April 17, 1998

12. CFCSEIC News Briefs Week Ending April 10, 1998