Are too many threads bad?

Post by Greg McPhers » Thu, 28 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I've recently discovered the Thread manager, and it's turned out to be a
brilliant way to organise my code.  My programs often have many
independant processes going on that were previously handled in heavily
nested loops and idle functions.  Threads simplify this a great deal.

Now, the question is...  Can you go too far with threads?
I can see my current project running up to 30 at a time, and the program
has to run on a IIfx.  Am I heading down a dangerous path to a SLOW
program?  How much speed overhead do threads have?

greg

Are too many threads bad?

Post by Francois Potti » Sun, 01 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>Now, the question is...  Can you go too far with threads?
>I can see my current project running up to 30 at a time, and the program
>has to run on a IIfx.  Am I heading down a dangerous path to a SLOW
>program?  How much speed overhead do threads have?

I've actually tested my program with up to 150+ threads, but most of
them were suspended at any given time. If you use cooperative threads,
the speed overheard should depend on how often you yield, not on how
many threads you have.

--
Fran?ois Pottier

http://pauillac.inria.fr/~fpottier/

1. DDE+DDEML.H=BAD-BAD-BAD

I am trying to create a program group using DDE to the ProgMan..
        However, In VC++ 1.5 when I go to compile and include the DDEML.H I get
an error in the DDEML.H header-- Something about a DYNADECALRE32(something) or
something like that being re-defined...
                Arrgh..
                        Aaron Martin

2. SBS 4.5 Clean Install

3. Bad code or bad compiler?

4. WTB : sgi monitor in EUROPE

5. Bad or bad?

6. How do I install kermit on a 3.5 inch disk with System 5.0.2

7. Bad citizens or bad KB Hook?

8. Remote Office Installation using SMS

9. Classes, I am not sure what i am doing wrong!

10. Am trying to create my 1st dialog and am failing miserably...

11. Threads: how many before bad things happen?

12. Strange behavior of thread with bad pointer

13. RogueWave thread++ good/bad???