UNIX - editing UNIX files with a Mac editor

UNIX - editing UNIX files with a Mac editor

Post by Raphael Schumache » Wed, 18 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Hi

I'd like to edit C++ program files stored on HP UX workstations with our
fine
Mac editor programs (Metrowerks, BBEdit a.o.).
What kind of software is available that lets me access files on a UNIX
(NFS) workstation as if it were an AppleShare server?

I think eXodus is not the right software that for (it's "only", but fine,
X-Windows display server, isn't it?).

Thanks for your hints in advance, rgds
RAPHAEL

| RAPHAEL J. SCHUMACHER             Swiss Telecom, R&D 64           |

| Tel. +41 31 338 46 59             Fax. +41 31 338 99 04           |

Post by Scott Squir » Wed, 18 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>Hi

>I'd like to edit C++ program files stored on HP UX workstations with our
>fine
>Mac editor programs (Metrowerks, BBEdit a.o.).
>What kind of software is available that lets me access files on a UNIX
>(NFS) workstation as if it were an AppleShare server?

>I think eXodus is not the right software that for (it's "only", but fine,
>X-Windows display server, isn't it?).

BBEdit 4.0 supports ftp directly.  Could this do what you want?

-scott

Scott Squires               "Insert funny stuff here"

Post by Don Samp » Wed, 18 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>Hi

>I'd like to edit C++ program files stored on HP UX workstations with our
>fine
>Mac editor programs (Metrowerks, BBEdit a.o.).
>What kind of software is available that lets me access files on a UNIX
>(NFS) workstation as if it were an AppleShare server?

>I think eXodus is not the right software that for (it's "only", but fine,
>X-Windows display server, isn't it?).

>Thanks for your hints in advance, rgds
>RAPHAEL

There are several companies which make NFS client software for the
Macintosh.  A couple I have used come from Thursby Software and
Wollagong.  You can find them on the web at www.thursby.com, and
www.twg.com.

--
Don Sample                          |

http://www.synapse.net/~dsample/    |

Post by Jude Giampao » Thu, 19 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> >I'd like to edit C++ program files stored on HP UX workstations with our
> >fine
> >Mac editor programs (Metrowerks, BBEdit a.o.).
> >What kind of software is available that lets me access files on a UNIX
> >(NFS) workstation as if it were an AppleShare server?

> There are several companies which make NFS client software for the
> Macintosh.  A couple I have used come from Thursby Software and
> Wollagong.  You can find them on the web at www.thursby.com, and
> www.twg.com.

You might also want to look into either CAP or netatalk which run on the
UNIX bag and make it appear to be an AppleShare server.

Please note the followups as this is really not a Macintosh programming issue.

--
Jude Charles Giampaolo         'There's not much to see actually,

Mac NFS serevr:   http://prozac.cwru.edu/jude/macnfs/Macnfsd.html

Post by Greg Fergus » Thu, 19 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>I'd like to edit C++ program files stored on HP UX workstations with our
>fine
>Mac editor programs (Metrowerks, BBEdit a.o.).
>What kind of software is available that lets me access files on a UNIX
>(NFS) workstation as if it were an AppleShare server?

>I think eXodus is not the right software that for (it's "only", but fine,
>X-Windows display server, isn't it?).

Intercon has some NFS software that'll do what you want. Check out
www.intercon.com.

Greg

"Death Ray!? Fiddlesticks! It doesn't even slow them down!"
   - Charles Adams

UNIX - editing UNIX files with a Mac editor

Post by Eugene Kuznets » Thu, 19 Sep 1996 04:00:00

[...]
> >What kind of software is available that lets me access files on a UNIX
> >(NFS) workstation as if it were an AppleShare server?
[...]
> Intercon has some NFS software that'll do what you want. Check out
> www.intercon.com.

An even better solution is to run an appleshare server on the unix box
itself.  CAP and Netatalk are two possible solutions.  Netatalk is very
nice, and compiles on many unices.  Some have claimed that a fast Linux
box with Netatalk is often faster than a decent Mac running AppleShare.

                                                      Eugene Kuznetsov

1. MFC for UNIX, Windows for UNIX, ODBC for UNIX

Hello world,

Does anybody know about portability toolkits do
port a MS Windows application to X11/Motif.

The Windows application is written with MFC 2.0
or perhaps MFC 2.5 using the ODBC interface.

Also, is there a ODBC implementation unter UNIX
(which UNIXes) for such Programs.

Please answer by email, if there is more interest
i will summarize. (i do not get all the newsgroups, so PLEASE ...)

Thanks, Greetings Matthias
--
    /\  /\   _   _/ _/  /_  ' _    _       /    _   /_  _____  _   ___  ___
   /  \/  \ (_\  /  /  / / / (_\  (_      /__  (_) / /  / / / (_\  / /  / /

|  Private :         Wakenitzmauer 8, D-23552 Luebeck, Tel  +49 451 705035     |
|  Company :         EDV-COMPAS GmbH, Koenigstrasse 28, D-23552 Luebeck        |
|                    Germany,  Tel  +49 451 71545    Fax  +49 451 71540        |
|______________________________________________________________________________|

2. Controls in a form

3. Unix one-way encryption (unix password file)

4. Writing system services....

5. unix to unix appleevent library?

6. X128 v0.6

7. Convertingf DOS int to UNIX int / UNIX timing libraries.

8. What's this 3d iso game..

9. Casting Issue while Porting C++ Application from Unix to IBM/Unix

10. UNIX to Winsock UNIX questions

11. Unix mutex and Unix condition variable equivalent in C for Win32 ??

12. MFC for UNIX, Windows for UNIX, ODBC for UN

13. Eggdrops, Unix shells for NT, Free Unix shell a/c's?