C++ Compilers

Post by dkh » Sun, 31 Dec 2000 15:17:18

Are there any freeware/opensource C++ compiler environments for MacOS 8+?
I am new to Mac development and not familiar with developer apps.

regards,
dkh

C++ Compilers

Post by Greg Westo » Sun, 31 Dec 2000 22:44:20

Quote:> Are there any freeware/opensource C++ compiler environments for MacOS 8+?

You really need to reconfigure or replace your news program. Posting
plain text as a Base64 attachment is almost guaranteed to reduce the
number of responses and their timeliness. As to the question:

MPW. The toolchain that was used to develop Mac OS for years. It's free
from Apple's developer site <http://www.apple.com/developer/> if you
follow the obvious links. If you don't follow the obvious links, you'll
probably find all kinds of other things that you're likely to otherwise
ask about in the near future including lots of docs and even a passable
introduction to Mac OS programming for Windows programmers.

C++ Compilers

Post by Greg Westo » Tue, 02 Jan 2001 07:30:03

> > > Are there any freeware/opensource C++ compiler environments for MacOS 8+?

> All I saw was

> > QXJlIHRoZXJlIGFueSBmcmVld2FyZS9vcGVuc291cmNlIEMrKyBjb21waWxlciBlbnZpcm9ubWVu
> > dHMgZm9yIE1hY09TIDgrPw0KSSBhbSBuZXcgdG8gTWFjIGRldmVsb3BtZW50IGFuZCBub3QgZmFt
> > aWxpYXIgd2l0aCBkZXZlbG9wZXIgYXBwcy4NCg0KcmVnYXJkcywNCmRraA0K

That's because the original poster's newsreader is apparently
(mis)configured to include the actual message text as a Base-64 encoded
attachment. I was curious enough to actually decode the message. I'm
_so_ glad that large northwestern US companies have decided for us that
ASCII isn't sufficient for mail and news bodies. :P

C++ Compilers

Post by dkh » Wed, 03 Jan 2001 05:40:18

Here I hope is a relevant question -

Can Use MPW on  a 68K Mac to compile source for a PowerPC Mac?

thanks,
dale

MacOS 8+?

> > All I saw was

QXJlIHRoZXJlIGFueSBmcmVld2FyZS9vcGVuc291cmNlIEMrKyBjb21waWxlciBlbnZpcm9ubWVu
dHMgZm9yIE1hY09TIDgrPw0KSSBhbSBuZXcgdG8gTWFjIGRldmVsb3BtZW50IGFuZCBub3QgZmFt
Quote:> > > aWxpYXIgd2l0aCBkZXZlbG9wZXIgYXBwcy4NCg0KcmVnYXJkcywNCmRraA0K

> That's because the original poster's newsreader is apparently
> (mis)configured to include the actual message text as a Base-64 encoded
> attachment. I was curious enough to actually decode the message. I'm
> _so_ glad that large northwestern US companies have decided for us that
> ASCII isn't sufficient for mail and news bodies. :P

C++ Compilers

Post by David Burgu » Wed, 03 Jan 2001 05:50:29

On Mon, 1 Jan 2001 12:40:18 -0800, dkh wrote

Quote:> Here I hope is a relevant question -

> Can Use MPW on  a 68K Mac to compile source for a PowerPC Mac?

I think so, check www.apple.com/developer and then follow the tools/MPW
links, it should tell you there. I know I used to do this a long time ago.

Cheers
Dave

C++ Compilers

Post by Greg Westo » Wed, 03 Jan 2001 07:38:53

> Here I hope is a relevant question -

> Can Use MPW on  a 68K Mac to compile source for a PowerPC Mac?

Certainly. Modulo the weirdness of forks it's really just an issue of
spitting out a bytestream. You could theoretically generate ProDOS
programs in MPW if you had a compiler available that targetted the
6502.

C++ Compilers

Post by Alex Rosenber » Wed, 03 Jan 2001 13:44:46

>> Here I hope is a relevant question -

>> Can Use MPW on  a 68K Mac to compile source for a PowerPC Mac?

>Certainly. Modulo the weirdness of forks it's really just an issue of
>spitting out a bytestream. You could theoretically generate ProDOS
>programs in MPW if you had a compiler available that targetted the
>6502.

That's more than just theory. Apple used to sell an entire suite of MPW
tools for 6502/65816 development including Asm, C, and Pascal.

| Nobody cares what I say. Remove the underscore to mail me. |

C++ Compilers

Post by Jonathan DePrizi » Thu, 25 Jan 2001 07:04:59

Quote:> Are there any freeware/opensource C++ compiler environments for MacOS 8+?
> I am new to Mac development and not familiar with developer apps.

> regards,
> dkh

Yes, check out dev.apple.com and download the Apple MPW (Macintosh
Programmer's Workshop).  It supports C, C++, and just about any programming
language you can think of. However, it's rather hard to learn, so find some
time on your hands before using it.

Hope it helps,
Jon

C++ Compilers

:
: Yes, check out dev.apple.com and download the Apple MPW (Macintosh
: Programmer's Workshop).  It supports C, C++, and just about any programming
: language you can think of. However, it's rather hard to learn, so find some
: time on your hands before using it.

`Hard to learn' depends on where he's coming from. MPW is a
shell-editor combination. If you're used to working in a unix-like
shell environment, you'll be able to pick it up quite quickly. On the
other hand, if have no programing experience, or have only used IDEs,
you are looking at a steep learning curve.

Cheers,

--
-- David McKee

-- (757) 269-7492    (Office)