really cheap lasers

Post by Brendan R. Wehru » Sun, 22 Jul 2001 06:12:27

PC magazine is talking about a $200 Samsung laser, and one that's a $100
more by Brother.  Are there any really cheap USB lasers that are worth
consideration yet?  Like ink-jets, it won't be that long before reliable
performance becomes inexpensive, but don't know it the time is now.

I'm a light-duty user but need good quality with both text and graphics.

Brendan

really cheap lasers

Post by Richard Hopkin » Mon, 23 Jul 2001 17:07:48

All these lower-end lasers are reliable. The build quality of any given
laser is miles ahead of an inkjet printer. Likewise all entry-level lasers
these days are faster than inkjets. The Samsung you are talking about is
quite a nice machine.

What has always been the problem with cheap lasers is the cost of the
cartridges. Entry level Panasonic and Kyocera printers have a cheap toner
but when the drum unit goes after 6000 pages it is cheaper to throw the
printer away and buy a new one than it is to buy the drum unit.

The samsung printer uses an all-in-one cartridge. That means that there is
no more to buy until something mechanical goes like the fixing assembly.
Those cartridges in Australia are around $150 for 2500 pages, or 6c per
page, which is better than ink.

The brother is aseperates system, it used a toner tube that goes into a
seperate drum unit. Priced together over the life of one drum unit the per
page cost is also around 6c.

By contrast the HP1200 is around $140 for 2500 pages (all-in-one) or 5c per
page. You can get a remanufactured cartridge for around $80, which makes it
cheaper to run.

If you dont do much printing then the Samsung or the Brother are good value.

Also look at first page out speeds, the Samsung and Brother are slower
thanthe HP. Also look at things like memory, postscript availability all
that stuff of course.

Regards

www.printerfuel.com

Quote:> PC magazine is talking about a $200 Samsung laser, and one that's a $100