What causes fading (inkjet printout)?

Post by Chan » Sun, 27 Apr 2003 12:41:54

I printed some photos using my HP880C + original ink cartridge +
Mitsubishi photo paper. I pasted the photos on my bedroom wall using
celluphone tape. The photos are away from sunlight. That was two
months ago.

Today, the part which is not covered by the celluphone tape is heavily
red-tinted (the green & blue components have almost completed faded),
while the corners which are covered by celluphone tape still retains
their original colours.

My questions : what could have caused the fading? Some gas components
in the air that I am breathing every night?

(I am in South East Asia; daytime temp is around 30C/86F while
nighttime is around 23C/73F - my aircond setting).

What causes fading (inkjet printout)?

Post by xNokia_3390 » Sun, 27 Apr 2003 12:58:51

Quote:> I printed some photos using my HP880C + original ink cartridge +
> Mitsubishi photo paper. I pasted the photos on my bedroom wall using
> celluphone tape. The photos are away from sunlight. That was two
> months ago.

> Today, the part which is not covered by the celluphone tape is heavily
> red-tinted (the green & blue components have almost completed faded),
> while the corners which are covered by celluphone tape still retains
> their original colours.

> My questions : what could have caused the fading? Some gas components
> in the air that I am breathing every night?

> (I am in South East Asia; daytime temp is around 30C/86F while
> nighttime is around 23C/73F - my aircond setting).

It's just the atmosphere...  Being displayed out in the open without being
under glass makes it fade because the air is able to get to it.  My Canon
i320 photos faded really fast too, and it has a red tint to it as well.  My
HP Photosmart 7350 pictures seem to be doing a lot better -- most likely due
to the fact that Premium Plus paper with their newest photo inks provide
MUCH more lightfastness.

Post by Taliesy » Sun, 27 Apr 2003 13:34:25

>>I printed some photos using my HP880C + original ink cartridge +
>>Mitsubishi photo paper. I pasted the photos on my bedroom wall using
>>celluphone tape. The photos are away from sunlight. That was two
>>months ago.

>>Today, the part which is not covered by the celluphone tape is heavily
>>red-tinted (the green & blue components have almost completed faded),
>>while the corners which are covered by celluphone tape still retains
>>their original colours.

>>My questions : what could have caused the fading? Some gas components
>>in the air that I am breathing every night?

>>(I am in South East Asia; daytime temp is around 30C/86F while
>>nighttime is around 23C/73F - my aircond setting).

> It's just the atmosphere...  Being displayed out in the open without being
> under glass makes it fade because the air is able to get to it.  My Canon
> i320 photos faded really fast too, and it has a red tint to it as well.  My
> HP Photosmart 7350 pictures seem to be doing a lot better -- most likely due
> to the fact that Premium Plus paper with their newest photo inks provide
> MUCH more lightfastness.

It doesn't have to be sunlight. Just straight daylight will fade photos.
That's why my prized creations are packed away in a dark place.
And that's why the original poster said the parts that were not
protected by tape had faded.

-Taliesyn

What causes fading (inkjet printout)?

Post by Arthur Entlic » Sun, 27 Apr 2003 22:43:55

Air current may indeed be one cause, as might humidity or ozone.

The greater point is that the ink molecules get e*d by light, ozone
or other environmental factors, which causes it literally to "hop" off
the page, over time. The cellophane tape keeps the ink molecules from
being able to leave the paper so easily.

Other factors that could be involved is that the cellophane tape
adhesive changed or maintained a certain pH, or it guarded against
humidity, etc.

Art

> I printed some photos using my HP880C + original ink cartridge +
> Mitsubishi photo paper. I pasted the photos on my bedroom wall using
> celluphone tape. The photos are away from sunlight. That was two
> months ago.

> Today, the part which is not covered by the celluphone tape is heavily
> red-tinted (the green & blue components have almost completed faded),
> while the corners which are covered by celluphone tape still retains
> their original colours.

> My questions : what could have caused the fading? Some gas components
> in the air that I am breathing every night?

> (I am in South East Asia; daytime temp is around 30C/86F while
> nighttime is around 23C/73F - my aircond setting).

1. Fading printouts from Epson Color Stylus (and PC Computing article)

Has anyone else noticed fading colors on their Epson Color Stylus printouts?
A friend and I have ECS's. (In fact it's his fault I had to buy one, but
that's OK because I love the printer.) He has had pictures up in his cubicle
for 1-2 months now and the reds have noticeably faded. Now we do work in
an office that has unfiltered flourecent lights, but that still seems
quick considering we don't have any windows to let in sunlight. Interestingly,
the parts of the picture under the clear tape he used still seem vibrant. I am
trying keeping my better prints in clear, non-glare page holders. I would be
interested to hear from anyone who has had the same experience or has a better
solution.

BTW, did anyone see this months PC Computing? They did a review of color
printers (ink jet, laser, thermal wax) from low end (~$300) to high end
(~$14,000), but what I couldn't believe was that the Epson WASN'T INCLUDED!
Looking at the test prints, the Epson would have performed as well as the
very expensive models. Did Epson miss the boat for the article or did
PC Computing not want to include a printer that would have blown away
3/4 of the competition?

Later.
Mike Stoddard

2. Telebit Trailblazer on Microport

3. Canon BJC-4200 Printouts Faded (Too Light)

4. how do i find out what column i'm in?

5. Does inkjet's printout still smudge?

6. EXPAND Vision 2.0 available

7. Protective covering for inkjet printouts?

8. Water Resistant Inkjet Printouts

9. Inkjet Color Prints Fade?

10. any problems with black inkjet ink fading?

11. inkjet printers, do they fade.