HP LJ4M+ and Frame Maker

Post by Two Cat » Fri, 10 Feb 1995 01:11:29

        I'm having a bit of a creepy problem that I'm hoping one of you
folks may have solved.  I'm running Frame Maker 4. under SunOS 4.1.3_U1
and printing to a LaserJet 4M+, using the JetDirect card's internal LPD.
        The problem: in order to print Maker documents, it's necessary
to send then to the printer's raw internal queue.  This is not true of
PostScript documents generated by any other applications (including ones
with considerably more intimate knowledge of the printer's capabilities).
Furthermore, when I turn on PostScript error printing, I get an "offending
command" error which includes character combinations which don't even
appear in the file (this verified by grep'ping on a saved PS version of
the document).  Clearly, the cr/lf "fixer" in the text queue is doing a
number on the file...what I can't figure out is why.  Does the text
queue do anything other than fixing up line breaks?  Are there any known
bugs?
        This isn't a huge problem, since I can work around using another
printcap entry.  I would, however, like to understand this so I can
predict other situations when this might occur.

Eric

P.S. The LPDaemon really needs some work.  It appears to be impossible to
configure it at any level.  I'd like, for example, to be able to set the
internal queue names, be able to suppress burst pages, and customize
the text filter.

HP LJ4M+ and Frame Maker

                                                                ------
: queue do anything other than fixing up line breaks?  Are there any known
: bugs?

   JetDirect lpd offers two queues:
       text :  for UNIX text file.
       raw  :  anything else.   --- This is the one you should use for printing
                                    any application files.

   The reason is: the lines in UNIX text file ends with \n (no \r).

HP LJ4M+ and Frame Maker

Post by Two Cat » Thu, 16 Feb 1995 23:57:03

|>>       So the question stands...Is there any VALID PostScript which could
|>> mangled by the text-file fixer into unprintable commands.  As I said in
|>> my original post, the interesting thing about it is that the command that
|>> interpreter complains about is a 4 character sequence of which NO PAIR
|>> appears in the file.  That is, the undefined command is "&k2G"
|>
|>> Eric Jones
|>
|>The `&k2G' looks like the tail end of a PCL5 escape sequence.  Assuming
|>that, I looked up what <ESC>&k2G specifies, and it defines the Line
|>Termination behavior to be used by the printer.  This particular sequence
|>specifies that a LF character should behave as if CR,LF had been received
|>and FF as if CR,FF had been received.
|>
|>David B. Mears
|>Hewlett-Packard
|>Cupertino CA

Extremely elegant thinking, David!  I'd have never thought of that.  So,
then, it would seem that the "text file fixer" I referred to must just
prepend some PCL to the file being printed, and somehow, under some
conditions, this is being interpreted by the PostScript interpreter
instead of by the PCL interpreter.
        So the only question is, am I merely LUCKY that it works for
_some_ PostScript files (most, actually), or should I consider it a
bug that it doesn't work for all PS files?  Somehow I doubt I'll get
much sympathy from the JetDirect firmware folks.
        Thanks for the help!

Eric

HP LJ4M+ and Frame Maker

Post by David Kamml » Fri, 17 Feb 1995 01:01:32

Hi there.
If this is not a/the newsgroup to advertise a printer for sale, could someone
please email me the proper newsgroup?  Comp.sys.for_sale does not seem to
exist any more.

Anyway, if you couldn't guess already, the point of this is to advertise
a printer for sale.

My uncle, Claude Rankin, tel.# 410-381-5916 in Columbia, Maryland, has an
Epson LQ 2550 color printer for sale. This is a wide-bar color printer: it
holds up to 11"x14" paper.   The printer is 4 years old, but has
barely been used.  He is asking $450/b.o..  Included with the printer is
a power cable, extra ribbons (color and black), the original box,
and all manuals that originally came with the printer.

Correspondence telephone-wise should be directed to Claude Rankin at the
above phone number.  E-mail correspondence (for example, the proper newsgroup
to post this on, if this isn't it) should be directed to myself,

Many thanks.

-dck

1. PostScript errors with HPLJ4Si and Frame Maker

I need help.  HP and Frame have been great in customer service, but there
is still no answer.

When creating Frame Maker files on a RS6000 using AIX, I save the file,
print the file to a PostScript file, FTP the file to my PC, and copy the file
to an available LPT port in DOS.  After the job spools, the printer prints
a Banyan banner page, the desired contents of the file, and then the printer
halts with the Online and Form Feed light on and later ejects the following
error report:

ERROR:  undefined
OFFENDING COMMAND:  two

STACK:

No one has been able to resolve the problem.  Can you help me?  Please

thanks,
PrinterMan

2. This way to the egress

3. HP LJ4M, PCNFS, HP PLJ