HP 882C - false ink cartridge error, can't figure out what's wrong

HP 882C - false ink cartridge error, can't figure out what's wrong

Post by truthseek.. » Sun, 21 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I just got an HP DeskJet 882C printer for my Windows 95 PC.

Every time I print something (*every* single time, no matter what I print!), an
error message comes up saying:

"Incorrect Installation: Try removing the color print cartridge and reinstalling
it"

But then it just keeps on printing and the printing works fine!  On top of that,
I did take it out and re-insert the stupid thing several times and it still
gives me that error message no matter what!  But the printing still works fine.

Anybody have a clue what could be wrong?  Perhaps a sensor in the printer is
broken, telling my software that cartridge isn't properly installed when it
actually is??

truthseeker

HP 882C - false ink cartridge error, can't figure out what's wrong

Post by Bob Smit » Mon, 22 Nov 1999 04:00:00

A similar thing happened to me and it turned out to be a piece of tape was covering
the print head on the cartridge, a packaging error. Removed tape and it works fine
now. Bob

"Truthseel

Quote:> I just got an HP DeskJet 882C printer for my Windows 95 PC.

> Every time I print something (*every* single time, no matter what I print!), an
> error message comes up saying:

> "Incorrect Installation: Try removing the color print cartridge and reinstalling
> it"

HP 882C - false ink cartridge error, can't figure out what's wrong

Post by truthseek.. » Tue, 23 Nov 1999 04:00:00

exquisite 15 lines of text:
:===============:

Quote:>A similar thing happened to me and it turned out to be a piece of tape was covering
>the print head on the cartridge, a packaging error. Removed tape and it works fine
>now. Bob

Well, I didn't do anything except defragment my hard drive, turn my computer
off, and use the printer the next day... and mysteriously... that problem has
completely disappeared!

I printed out a bunch of things today, and didn't get a single error message
telling me about an incorrectly installed ink cartridge.  And I didn't do a
thing different with the cartridge or the printer.

I have no idea what was wrong.... and I'll never know.

btw, I also figured out that the "Neato" CD labelling program (that comes with
the HP CD-Writer) sucks.

truthseeker

HP 882C - false ink cartridge error, can't figure out what's wrong

Post by Bill Truesdel » Tue, 23 Nov 1999 04:00:00

"Truthseel

> exquisite 15 lines of text:
> :===============:
> >A similar thing happened to me and it turned out to be a piece of tape was covering
> >the print head on the cartridge, a packaging error. Removed tape and it works fine
> >now. Bob

> Well, I didn't do anything except defragment my hard drive, turn my computer
> off, and use the printer the next day... and mysteriously... that problem has
> completely disappeared!

> I printed out a bunch of things today, and didn't get a single error message
> telling me about an incorrectly installed ink cartridge.  And I didn't do a
> thing different with the cartridge or the printer.

> I have no idea what was wrong.... and I'll never know.

> btw, I also figured out that the "Neato" CD labelling program (that comes with
> the HP CD-Writer) sucks.

> truthseeker

If it happens again, remove the ink cart and gently clean the contacts and
replace. The problem and solution is on the HP site for the color ink cart.
Bill T
--
If there is a zz before clinic.net, remove it to reply directly.

HP 882C - false ink cartridge error, can't figure out what's wrong

Post by Michael A. Gullic » Mon, 29 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Don't be too sure that cleaning will fix it.  My HP 855Cxi has decided that both the black
and color cartridges are installed wrong.  I get the same message every time I try to
print.  I have followed the HP cleaning instructions numerous times with no luck.  I have
had the problem for about 2 months and now the print quality has gone to hell as well.  It
looks like the cartridge needs to be run through the cleaning cycle but, after a dozen or
so cleanings, it still prints terribly.

I guess I will have to get another printer.  Now the question is WHICH printer.  I have
been seriously looking at the HP 812 but I am hearing from a couple of folks that the ink
cartridge only holds half as much as the "regular" 800 series cartridge.  I have heard
rumors that you can refill the stupid 21 ml cartridge with the full 42 mls of ink but I
haven't been able to verify that.

> "Truthseel

> > exquisite 15 lines of text:
> > :===============:
> > >A similar thing happened to me and it turned out to be a piece of tape was covering
> > >the print head on the cartridge, a packaging error. Removed tape and it works fine
> > >now. Bob

> > Well, I didn't do anything except defragment my hard drive, turn my computer
> > off, and use the printer the next day... and mysteriously... that problem has
> > completely disappeared!

> > I printed out a bunch of things today, and didn't get a single error message
> > telling me about an incorrectly installed ink cartridge.  And I didn't do a
> > thing different with the cartridge or the printer.

> > I have no idea what was wrong.... and I'll never know.

> > btw, I also figured out that the "Neato" CD labelling program (that comes with
> > the HP CD-Writer) sucks.

> > truthseeker

> If it happens again, remove the ink cart and gently clean the contacts and
> replace. The problem and solution is on the HP site for the color ink cart.
> Bill T
> --
> If there is a zz before clinic.net, remove it to reply directly.

--

DNRC  O-
VRWC

HP 882C - false ink cartridge error, can't figure out what's wrong

Post by Bob Man » Tue, 30 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I had the identical problem with an HP 870Cxi, in addition to banding,
etc.

After running internal diagnostics via the front panel buttons, both
cartirdges showed firing defects (confirming the banding issue).

Simple resolution:  replace cartidges!  Now works like new.

Beware of "short dated" cartidges, the shelf life is not unlimited.

- Bob Mann

--
R.W. Mann & Company, Inc.  > Airline Industry Analysis and Consulting
Port Washington, NY  11050 > tel 516-944-0900, fax 516-944-7280

1. Canon PC 20 copier error code '0' then 'E'

Anyone able to decode this? The copier
won't do a thing.

--
Image Control ~ Remanufactured and
Generic Toner Cartridges

1396 Kingston Rd. Toronto ON Canada
M1N 1R3
(416) 694-7509  Fax 694-7929 ~ Member
BBB & CIPRA
Canadian Imaging Products
Remanufacturers Assn.
Free email help with toner problems ~
http://www.image-control.com

2. Cache / User Profiles

3. Announcement: 'FreeFill' from 'Inky Fingers' inkjet inks

4. Hooking into the Finder

5. HELP: HP LaserJet II Error 50, What's wrong?

6. Windows 98 SE Problem

7. Cost of Ink - Canon v's Epson v's HP v's Lexmark?

8. Marcosoft Quo Vadis does not work with Sony SJ20/SJ30

9. Lexmark SC1275 '202 Paper Jam' error won't go away!

10. NEC LC890 'no cartridge' error

11. 'Wrong' colors with Canon BJC600e

12. Refilled Lexmark inkjet cartridge reports 'ink low' alert - is this normal ?

13. ''DEMO'' MESSAGE ON HP LASERJET 4000se