Inkjets - alternative v manufacturer inks.

Inkjets - alternative v manufacturer inks.

Post by Steve Drewel » Tue, 28 Aug 2001 00:34:13

I've noticed that one can buy replacement inkjet cartridges for about 25%
of the price of a manufacturer-branded cartridge.

For example:
http://www.consumables.co.uk/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=28&subcat=28022

where an Epson black cartridge costs 22 and the compatible cartridge made
by Prestige costs just 6.

Has anybody here had any experience of these cheaper alternatives? Are
they as good as the manufacturer-branded ink in all respects?

Cheers,
--
Steve Drewell             (Remove x. from address to reply)
Using IBM OS/2 Warp 4 running 32 processes with 133 threads.

Post by at » Tue, 28 Aug 2001 17:09:14

> I've noticed that one can buy replacement inkjet cartridges for about 25%
> of the price of a manufacturer-branded cartridge.

> For example:
> http://www.consumables.co.uk/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=28&subcat=28022

> where an Epson black cartridge costs 22 and the compatible cartridge made
> by Prestige costs just 6.

> Has anybody here had any experience of these cheaper alternatives? Are
> they as good as the manufacturer-branded ink in all respects?

> Cheers,

I have been using Ko-Rec-Type brand cartridges in my Epson Stylus
Color 600 printer (didn't look at your referenced web site, and I am
not familiar with Prestige products), and they seem to actually be
better (cleaner, if nothing else, which isn't hard), than the Epson
cartridges.

My brother has been using one of those refill kits (not sure which
one), with his Canon BJC-4100 printer, and that seems to be okay, as
well, although it is a bit messy.

Personally, I think the only reason to use a manufacturer's ink, is to
prevent problems with any warranty claims. Once the printer is out of
warranty, go for it, but be aware, that if it does cause problems, YOU
will have to pay for the repairs.

YMMV...
--
From the eComStation of Doug Bissett
doug.bissett at attglobal.net

Inkjets - alternative v manufacturer inks.

Post by John Connol » Tue, 28 Aug 2001 22:05:37

Some questions you might want to ask any vendor of replacement inks or
cartridges are:

What is the ink base? -- triple distilled, de-ionized water is a good
response.

What type of color is used? -- Most early types used dye, currently
cartridges like the Lexmark Balck 12A1970 and all Z series use pigment
inks. These may also be more suitable for the Deskjet 51640 and 45A
cartridges, they are less subject to UV fading

What very important mfg condition must be met by the ink formulator?
-- Minimum class 10,000 clean room

More Inkjet Ink criteria and cartridge trouble shooting are at
http://www.image-control.com

> > I've noticed that one can buy replacement inkjet cartridges for about 25%
> > of the price of a manufacturer-branded cartridge.

> > For example:
> > http://www.consumables.co.uk/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=28&subcat=28022

> > where an Epson black cartridge costs 22 and the compatible cartridge made
> > by Prestige costs just 6.

> > Has anybody here had any experience of these cheaper alternatives? Are
> > they as good as the manufacturer-branded ink in all respects?

> > Cheers,

> I have been using Ko-Rec-Type brand cartridges in my Epson Stylus
> Color 600 printer (didn't look at your referenced web site, and I am
> not familiar with Prestige products), and they seem to actually be
> better (cleaner, if nothing else, which isn't hard), than the Epson
> cartridges.

> My brother has been using one of those refill kits (not sure which
> one), with his Canon BJC-4100 printer, and that seems to be okay, as
> well, although it is a bit messy.

> Personally, I think the only reason to use a manufacturer's ink, is to
> prevent problems with any warranty claims. Once the printer is out of
> warranty, go for it, but be aware, that if it does cause problems, YOU
> will have to pay for the repairs.

> YMMV...

Inkjets - alternative v manufacturer inks.

Post by Steve Drewel » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 03:29:11

On Mon, 27 Aug 2001 at 08:09 GMT, doug.bissett"at"attglobal.net (Doug

>Personally, I think the only reason to use a manufacturer's ink, is to
>prevent problems with any warranty claims. Once the printer is out of
>warranty, go for it, but be aware, that if it does cause problems, YOU
>will have to pay for the repairs.

I think repairs are out of the question for a 100 printer. I would hope
that any money saved by buying the cheaper cartridges will pay for a new
printer should any problems arise.

Cheers,
--
Steve Drewell             (Remove x. from address to reply)
Using IBM OS/2 Warp 4 running 30 processes with 125 threads.

Inkjets - alternative v manufacturer inks.

Post by Tony » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 03:58:58

Many of the alternate - particularly archival photo inks are widely known to
be better than the Epson in all respects including price - see below.
Tony

--
The New JetTec inkjet cartridges for Epson and chips
680/790/1270/2000P with the new ILRS ink level computer

Quote:> I've noticed that one can buy replacement inkjet cartridges for about 25%
> of the price of a manufacturer-branded cartridge.

1. Alternative toner manufacturer for higher page yields ?

  I'm hesitant to post this query, given the number of phone calls that I
already get trying to sell me "super-black hig-yield" toner cartridges, but
I was wondering if anyone has any recomendationd for  legitimate 3rd party
toner manufacturers that have have a higher yield per cartridge.

  At my office with use a HP officejet 3150 for our main fax machine. It
does the job pretty well, but the toner cartridge for this machine (HP
C3906A) only has a published yield of 2,500 pages.  We have a fairly high
volume, so we are running through these cartridges fairly quickly.

  Thanks for any opinions

 Jim Helfer

2. FP 2000 Forms

3. ALL INKJET PRINTER MANUFACTURERS WAKE UP CALL

4. Proterm 3.1

5. Macintosh snubbed by color inkjet manufacturers?

6. Creating Variables

7. Compatible ink vs manufacturers own?

8. Pocket Excel timestamp

9. new site: printing ink manufacturer Arets

10. Ink manufacturer

11. Any Ink Refill Manufacturers Offer Guarantees?

12. Injunction against 3rd party ink cartridge manufacturer