Epson Stylus Color II vs Stylus Pro

Post by Alvaro Ure » Tue, 27 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I am going to buy a new inkjet color printer, and from what I've seen, the
ones that give the best output quality are the Epson's. My problem is that I
don't know the real difference in terms of output quality between the Stylus
Color II and the Stylus Pro. Is this "difference" worth the price increase?
Any information or help would be very appreciated ? TIA

Post by Bill Babaki » Tue, 05 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>I am going to buy a new inkjet color printer, and from what I've seen, the
>ones that give the best output quality are the Epson's. My problem is that I
>don't know the real difference in terms of output quality between the Stylus
>Color II and the Stylus Pro. Is this "difference" worth the price increase?
>Any information or help would be very appreciated ? TIA

I spoke to Epson about this very subject.  While both print at 720x720
the stylus pro can print on plain paper at that resolution while the
color II needs the special glossy paper.  The stylus pro also offers
postscript options.  I believe quality would be the same for both

Post by Mike Marqui » Tue, 12 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> The Stylus Pro is a fine printer, and worth the added cost over the
> Stylus Color II.  The driver software available still doesn't quite
> do the hardware justice, although progress is being made.

What is there about the printer driver that doesn't do it justice? Is the
Color II driver better? What other features (beyond the II) does the Pro
have?

Thanks,

Mike

Post by Louis Jaff » Thu, 14 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> What is there about the printer driver that doesn't do it justice? Is the
> Color II driver better? What other features (beyond the II) does the Pro
> have?

The Epson Stylus Color, Stylus Color II, Stylus Pro and Pro XL all
use variants of the same StylusColor driver.  My comments apply to
the Mac version.  There are two main problems with it: 1) There is
no color balance control, and 2) the spooler is so inefficient that
background printing isn't really practical.

If you are printing from Adobe Photoshop, or a like program that has
plenty of internal color control, then you can get fine results with
the StylusColor driver.  Printing from apps like Acrobat or
Netscape, though, you have no control over the color.  If it comes
out nice, great; if it doesn't, too bad.

Birmy PowerRIP generally yields much better color mixes on the
Stylus Color, Stylus Pro and Pro XL.  But it costs $200 extra.

LJ

Post by Bill Babaki » Sun, 24 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>> The Stylus Pro is a fine printer, and worth the added cost over the
>> Stylus Color II.  The driver software available still doesn't quite
>> do the hardware justice, although progress is being made.
>What is there about the printer driver that doesn't do it justice? Is the
>Color II driver better? What other features (beyond the II) does the Pro
>have?
>Thanks,
>Mike

The stylus pro prints at 720x720 without the need for special paper.
The stylus pro also has support for postscript and network support
which the Stylus II lack.  I think the pro may be faster than the
Color II but I'm not sure of this.

Bill Babakian

Post by Tom J. Bz » Thu, 04 Apr 1996 04:00:00

: > The Stylus Pro is a fine printer, and worth the added cost over the
: > Stylus Color II.  The driver software available still doesn't quite
: > do the hardware justice, although progress is being made.

: What is there about the printer driver that doesn't do it justice? Is the
: Color II driver better? What other features (beyond the II) does the Pro
: have?

: Thanks,

: Mike

The Pro's ink cartridges cost about the same as the II's, but provide
significantly more pages per cartridge.  Also the Pro will do its 720 dpi
mode on plain paper, unlike the II.
--
tom

**** Statistics are approximately exact ****

Post by 4U2N » Sun, 07 Apr 1996 04:00:00

:
[...]
: --

the pro's ink cartridges are actually cheaper than the II's!

Richard

Post by Guid » Sun, 07 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> :
> : : > The Stylus Pro is a fine printer, and worth the added cost over the
> : : > Stylus Color II.  The driver software available still doesn't quite
> : : > do the hardware justice, although progress is being made.
> :
> :
> : : What is there about the printer driver that doesn't do it justice? Is the
> : : Color II driver better? What other features (beyond the II) does the Pro
> : : have?
> :
> :
> : : Thanks,
> :
> : : Mike
> :
> : The Pro's ink cartridges cost about the same as the II's, but provide
> : significantly more pages per cartridge.  Also the Pro will do its 720 dpi
> : mode on plain paper, unlike the II.
> : --

Why would you want to waste your time in 720 dpi mode on plain paper?

Post by Guid » Tue, 09 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> : > The Stylus Pro is a fine printer, and worth the added cost over the
> : > Stylus Color II.  The driver software available still doesn't quite
> : > do the hardware justice, although progress is being made.

> : What is there about the printer driver that doesn't do it justice? Is the
> : Color II driver better? What other features (beyond the II) does the Pro
> : have?

> : Thanks,

> : Mike

> The Pro's ink cartridges cost about the same as the II's, but provide
> significantly more pages per cartridge.  Also the Pro will do its 720 dpi
> mode on plain paper, unlike the II.
> --
> tom

> **** Statistics are approximately exact ****

My Stylus II prints 720 dpi on plain paper.

P.S.  I appologise for replying to this twice, but after I posted my first
reply, it occured to me to check to see if my Stylus II would in fact
print in 720 on plain paper.  When I discoverd it did, I thought I'd let
everyone know, in case there was somoene out there that had a good reason
to do it.  I just bought the printer about 3 weeks ago, so maybe they've
reciently released a new driver that now allows 720 on plain paper.

--
                     -Guido

CEO INSA Phoenix, Arizona

Epson Stylus Color II vs Stylus Pro

Post by Hugh Swang » Tue, 09 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>My Stylus II prints 720 dpi on plain paper.

You mean it prints *black only* at 720dpi on plain paper. Not color. This
is one advantage of the Pro model.

--
"No judgement can be considered to be final in which its reversibility has not been taken into account."