Canon BJC600 ink loss

Post by Jim Hochreite » Fri, 31 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Hi,
I have a Canon BJC600 color ink jet printer. The problem is that the color
ink cartridges seem to be losing ink, even while the printer is no been
used. Could it be a plugged printhead that may need cleaning. If so, what
can be used to do this. I am in the electronics business, so I am competent
enough to do this (I think).

thank you,

1. Canon BJC600: waste ink?

There's a couple of possibilities.

First, review just how many color images you printed, and their
approximate page coverage. The cartridges are rated for approximately 275
pages at 30% page coverage; if you printed only 135 color pages, but each
had 60% page coverage, it would amount to the same thing.

Second, check how your software is configured to use the printer. For
instance, if the software driving your printer thinks it is a CMY
printer, it may not be using Black ink to print black, but combining the
other three colors to make black, which would waste the color ink rather
quickly.

The extensive head cleaning is not something that can be disabled, and
really doesn't use that much ink. I've found that my printer only initiates
such cleaning after a long period of disuse, or after several dozen
full-page color printouts. If you really think your printer has a
problem, call Canon's technical support number and ask about it.

The cost of ink can also be minimized by using third-party cartridges.
Both Dataproducts and Nu Kote make them; I recommend Nu Kote's carts, as
they're cheaper and seem to work better than the Dataproducts carts. Nu
Kote's carts sell at discount office supply stores for under $6.00 each.

 -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        Michael Parrott             !!!             Proudly Using Atari

                             o-----/m-m------o
               "Old Immortals don't die; they just... DON'T..."
                    "I'm not a freak... I'm a prototype!"
 -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2. Hard disk backup program on UNIX host

3. Canon BJC600 Ink evaporation - help !

4. simple tcp/ip with netware 3.12

5. Canon BJC600 Ink Feed

6. PM budget question

7. Canon BJC600 Ink Tank Full

8. Canon S820 and PDI target--premature fade to black, loss of shadow detail

9. BJC600 & Ink tank full error

10. BJC600 refilling ink

11. BJC600 Gallons of Ink/Page ?