AAUUGGH! Refilling Canon

Post by Virgini » Sun, 06 Apr 2003 09:00:45

Huh. Me and my big ideas.
I'm trying to refill the Canon BCI-3e cartridges. My kitchen counters and
floor are now a pretty rainbow decor.
This is what I did:
Taped the bottom opening. Drilled small hole on top next to plugger ball.
Syringed in ink. Ink ran out as fast as I put it in. Obviously there's an
air flow problem I need to solve.
I read somewhere there's caps for the outflow hole. Would this help - Does
it need the airtight seal? How come it doesn't run out when I took the cap
off when it was new? I only drilled the one hole into the ink tank, not the
sponge part.
I know some days I'm not too quick, but this is ridiculous.

--

*ia
"Forgiveness is easier to obtain than permission."

www.thedesignuniverse.com

AAUUGGH! Refilling Canon

Post by Taliesy » Sun, 06 Apr 2003 09:27:15

> Huh. Me and my big ideas.
> I'm trying to refill the Canon BCI-3e cartridges. My kitchen counters and
> floor are now a pretty rainbow decor.

*ia, why are you even bothering to refill when the price of
generics is so low?

For example, at: http://www.veryComputer.com/;  (in New Brunswick)

In the Combo-Pac Deals section, you can get 3 of any color for only
$16 plus taxes and shipping. I haven't bought any of their Canon
generic cartridges yet, but have used their Epson generic carts and
Lexmark refill ink to satisfaction.

-Taliesyn

Quote:> This is what I did:
> Taped the bottom opening. Drilled small hole on top next to plugger ball.
> Syringed in ink. Ink ran out as fast as I put it in. Obviously there's an
> air flow problem I need to solve.
> I read somewhere there's caps for the outflow hole. Would this help - Does
> it need the airtight seal? How come it doesn't run out when I took the cap
> off when it was new? I only drilled the one hole into the ink tank, not the
> sponge part.
> I know some days I'm not too quick, but this is ridiculous.

> --

> *ia
> "Forgiveness is easier to obtain than permission."

> www.thedesignuniverse.com

AAUUGGH! Refilling Canon

Post by Rafe B » Sun, 06 Apr 2003 11:21:56

Quote:>Huh. Me and my big ideas.
>I'm trying to refill the Canon BCI-3e cartridges. My kitchen counters and
>floor are now a pretty rainbow decor.
>This is what I did:
>Taped the bottom opening. Drilled small hole on top next to plugger ball.
>Syringed in ink. Ink ran out as fast as I put it in. Obviously there's an
>air flow problem I need to solve.
>I read somewhere there's caps for the outflow hole. Would this help - Does
>it need the airtight seal? How come it doesn't run out when I took the cap
>off when it was new? I only drilled the one hole into the ink tank, not the
>sponge part.
>I know some days I'm not too quick, but this is ridiculous.

I went through this same learning curve.

Apparently with these Canon carts it's quite important
to completely reseal any hole you're going to put in
the cart to fill it.

Try WeInk.com for empty, new refillable carts.  The
ones I bought have a tiny silicone * plug to reseal
the fill hole.

rafe b.
http://www.veryComputer.com/

AAUUGGH! Refilling Canon

Post by Rafe B » Sun, 06 Apr 2003 11:26:52

>> Huh. Me and my big ideas.
>> I'm trying to refill the Canon BCI-3e cartridges. My kitchen counters and
>> floor are now a pretty rainbow decor.

>*ia, why are you even bothering to refill when the price of
>generics is so low?

One good reason:  consistency and confidence in the
vendor.  Eg., I'd rather deal with MIS Associates, Mediastreet,
etc. than the thousands of  fly-by-night internet ink sellers.

Fill it yourself from a set of four-ounce bottles ($35) and you
know that for the next year or so you'll be printing with exactly
the same set of inks.  That won't necessarily be the case if
you buy prefilled carts in small quanitities from small-time
dealers on the Web.

rafe b.
http://www.veryComputer.com/

AAUUGGH! Refilling Canon

Post by John Mill » Mon, 07 Apr 2003 01:09:27

Actually you are just as likely to get the same bulk ink formula
from a reputable ink supplier of such than you are when you
attempt to buy cartridges.

MIS supplies Continuous Systems. Therefore it is less likely
that they would switch inks without a good reason since
they need to maintain consistency for their products.

--

*comp.periphs.printers FAQ Archive
http://www.cppfaq.com/

:
:
: And you know exactly from who MIS Associates buy their ink from?
:
: > Fill it yourself from a set of four-ounce bottles ($35) and you
: > know that for the next year or so you'll be printing with exactly
: > the same set of inks.  That won't necessarily be the case if
: > you buy prefilled carts in small quanitities from small-time
: > dealers on the Web.
:
: And that won't necessarily be the case when you buy that next
: 4 refill bottle at $35 either.

AAUUGGH! Refilling Canon

Post by GMA » Mon, 07 Apr 2003 02:34:30

>Huh. Me and my big ideas.
>I'm trying to refill the Canon BCI-3e cartridges. My kitchen counters and
>floor are now a pretty rainbow decor.
>This is what I did:
>Taped the bottom opening. Drilled small hole on top next to plugger ball.
>Syringed in ink. Ink ran out as fast as I put it in. Obviously there's an
>air flow problem I need to solve.
>I read somewhere there's caps for the outflow hole. Would this help - Does
>it need the airtight seal? How come it doesn't run out when I took the cap
>off when it was new? I only drilled the one hole into the ink tank, not the
>sponge part.
>I know some days I'm not too quick, but this is ridiculous.

try these instructions

http://www.alotofthings.com/pdf/canonbci3-bci6-bci-8.PDF

AAUUGGH! Refilling Canon

Post by Pete Premoc » Mon, 07 Apr 2003 10:44:53

Rafe B is right. The compatibles I sell also have silicone * plugs.
Much easier to refill. I sell a set for $10.00. Check me out one ebay. I'm
INKY_PETE. Over 1100 positive responses. Pete

> >Huh. Me and my big ideas.
> >I'm trying to refill the Canon BCI-3e cartridges. My kitchen counters and
> >floor are now a pretty rainbow decor.
> >This is what I did:
> >Taped the bottom opening. Drilled small hole on top next to plugger ball.
> >Syringed in ink. Ink ran out as fast as I put it in. Obviously there's an
> >air flow problem I need to solve.
> >I read somewhere there's caps for the outflow hole. Would this help -
Does
> >it need the airtight seal? How come it doesn't run out when I took the
cap
> >off when it was new? I only drilled the one hole into the ink tank, not
the
> >sponge part.
> >I know some days I'm not too quick, but this is ridiculous.

> I went through this same learning curve.

> Apparently with these Canon carts it's quite important
> to completely reseal any hole you're going to put in
> the cart to fill it.

> Try WeInk.com for empty, new refillable carts.  The
> ones I bought have a tiny silicone * plug to reseal
> the fill hole.

> rafe b.
> http://www.veryComputer.com/

AAUUGGH! Refilling Canon

Post by Rafe B » Mon, 07 Apr 2003 21:41:49

>>>*ia, why are you even bothering to refill when the price of
>>>generics is so low?

>> One good reason:  consistency and confidence in the
>> vendor.  Eg., I'd rather deal with MIS Associates, Mediastreet,
>> etc. than the thousands of  fly-by-night internet ink sellers.

>And you know exactly from who MIS Associates buy their ink from?

Not necessarily, but I have a hunch that they are selling
to a more knowledgeable and sophisticated market than
any of the internet fly-by-night ink sellers.

Quote:>> Fill it yourself from a set of four-ounce bottles ($35) and you
>> know that for the next year or so you'll be printing with exactly
>> the same set of inks.  That won't necessarily be the case if
>> you buy prefilled carts in small quanitities from small-time
>> dealers on the Web.

>And that won't necessarily be the case when you buy that next
>4 refill bottle at $35 either.

I don't mind recalibrating after finishing up a four-ounce set
of inks.  For most folks, even reasonably serious photo printers,
that's several months worth or a years' worth of ink usage.

Fact is, the vendors I mentioned above have been around
for a few years, which is a long time in terms of Web presence.

rafe b.
http:/www.terrapinphoto.com

AAUUGGH! Refilling Canon

Post by Virgini » Tue, 08 Apr 2003 03:07:12

Thanks for all the replies.

For future reference for other users, as I noticed I'm not the first with
this problem....

Fill the tank verrry slowly. This will allow the sponge to absorb the ink.
The Canon sponges seem less dense than the Epson, so it will run out faster.

I have not been able to fill the cartridge so that the ink tank portion is
full. It seems once the sponge is saturated, that's it. This may be due to
needing the plug to cover the exit hole airtight. Then the refiller hole can
be sealed before the plug removal.

Best wishes...
--

*ia
"Forgiveness is easier to obtain than permission."

www.thedesignuniverse.com

Quote:> Huh. Me and my big ideas.
> I'm trying to refill the Canon BCI-3e cartridges. My kitchen counters and
> floor are now a pretty rainbow decor.
> This is what I did:
> Taped the bottom opening. Drilled small hole on top next to plugger ball.
> Syringed in ink. Ink ran out as fast as I put it in. Obviously there's an
> air flow problem I need to solve.
> I read somewhere there's caps for the outflow hole. Would this help - Does
> it need the airtight seal? How come it doesn't run out when I took the cap
> off when it was new? I only drilled the one hole into the ink tank, not
the
> sponge part.
> I know some days I'm not too quick, but this is ridiculous.

> --

> *ia
> "Forgiveness is easier to obtain than permission."

> www.thedesignuniverse.com

AAUUGGH! Refilling Canon

Post by Susa » Tue, 08 Apr 2003 05:27:32

And I use bulkinkjets.com for my Canon. Right now the BCI-3e ink tanks
are on sale for $1.89 US.

--
Susan
Still flyin' by the seat of my pants

Democratic Party of Middletown Township
http://www.veryComputer.com/
Friends of Bolton Mansion
http://www.veryComputer.com/

> > Huh. Me and my big ideas.
> > I'm trying to refill the Canon BCI-3e cartridges. My kitchen
counters and
> > floor are now a pretty rainbow decor.

> *ia, why are you even bothering to refill when the price of
> generics is so low?

> For example, at: http://www.veryComputer.com/;  (in New Brunswick)

> In the Combo-Pac Deals section, you can get 3 of any color for only
> $16 plus taxes and shipping. I haven't bought any of their Canon
> generic cartridges yet, but have used their Epson generic carts and
> Lexmark refill ink to satisfaction.

> -Taliesyn

> > This is what I did:
> > Taped the bottom opening. Drilled small hole on top next to plugger
ball.
> > Syringed in ink. Ink ran out as fast as I put it in. Obviously
there's an
> > air flow problem I need to solve.
> > I read somewhere there's caps for the outflow hole. Would this
help - Does
> > it need the airtight seal? How come it doesn't run out when I took
the cap
> > off when it was new? I only drilled the one hole into the ink tank,
not the
> > sponge part.
> > I know some days I'm not too quick, but this is ridiculous.

> > --

> > *ia
> > "Forgiveness is easier to obtain than permission."

> > www.thedesignuniverse.com

AAUUGGH! Refilling Canon

Post by Taliesy » Tue, 08 Apr 2003 05:55:11

> And I use bulkinkjets.com for my Canon. Right now the BCI-3e ink tanks
> are on sale for $1.89 US.

Are you using it on the i850?  I'm curious to see how it handles
generics.

-Taliesyn

> --
> Susan
> Still flyin' by the seat of my pants

> Democratic Party of Middletown Township
> http://www.veryComputer.com/
> Friends of Bolton Mansion
> http://www.veryComputer.com/

>>>Huh. Me and my big ideas.
>>>I'm trying to refill the Canon BCI-3e cartridges. My kitchen

> counters and

>>>floor are now a pretty rainbow decor.

>>*ia, why are you even bothering to refill when the price of
>>generics is so low?

>>For example, at: http://www.veryComputer.com/;  (in New Brunswick)

>>In the Combo-Pac Deals section, you can get 3 of any color for only
>>$16 plus taxes and shipping. I haven't bought any of their Canon
>>generic cartridges yet, but have used their Epson generic carts and
>>Lexmark refill ink to satisfaction.

>>-Taliesyn

>>>This is what I did:
>>>Taped the bottom opening. Drilled small hole on top next to plugger

> ball.

>>>Syringed in ink. Ink ran out as fast as I put it in. Obviously

> there's an

>>>air flow problem I need to solve.
>>>I read somewhere there's caps for the outflow hole. Would this

> help - Does

>>>it need the airtight seal? How come it doesn't run out when I took

> the cap

>>>off when it was new? I only drilled the one hole into the ink tank,

> not the

>>>sponge part.
>>>I know some days I'm not too quick, but this is ridiculous.

>>>--

>>>*ia
>>>"Forgiveness is easier to obtain than permission."

>>>www.thedesignuniverse.com

AAUUGGH! Refilling Canon

Post by Susa » Tue, 08 Apr 2003 11:43:50

no, on a 6000. I'd assume they would work fine with the i850 since they
use the same tank.

--
Susan
Still flyin' by the seat of my pants

Democratic Party of Middletown Township
http://www.veryComputer.com/
Friends of Bolton Mansion
http://www.veryComputer.com/

> > And I use bulkinkjets.com for my Canon. Right now the BCI-3e ink
tanks
> > are on sale for $1.89 US.

> Are you using it on the i850?  I'm curious to see how it handles
> generics.

> -Taliesyn

> > --
> > Susan
> > Still flyin' by the seat of my pants

> > counters and

> >>*ia, why are you even bothering to refill when the price of
> >>generics is so low?

> >>For example, at: http://www.veryComputer.com/;  (in New Brunswick)

> >>In the Combo-Pac Deals section, you can get 3 of any color for only
> >>$16 plus taxes and shipping. I haven't bought any of their Canon
> >>generic cartridges yet, but have used their Epson generic carts and
> >>Lexmark refill ink to satisfaction.

> >>-Taliesyn

> > ball.

> > there's an

> > help - Does

> > the cap

> > not the

AAUUGGH! Refilling Canon

Post by Bob O`Bo » Tue, 08 Apr 2003 14:46:01

> And I use bulkinkjets.com for my Canon. Right now the BCI-3e ink tanks
> are on sale for $1.89 US.

Why does that site immediately redirect to expressinkjet,
an entirely different domain name?

Stuff like that makes it harder for me to trust some vendor
I'd never heard of before.

        Bob
--

1. Canon inks and refilling

Hi everyone ,

I'm new to this group
 just a quick question on finding out some imformation on some ink and
refilling ink tanks

i just upgraded to a canon s520 inkjet printer  , its great i am really
happy with it . The print quality is fantastic in my eyes

I had a bjc-255sp for about 3 years
i'm just curious what other printers i can use the ink with , even possibly
for mine (the 520) ??

the cartridge was a bc-05 and i have heaps of color ink left in the refill
kit which i never got the chance to use up

also is it easy to refill the tanks in the s520 ?

thanks in advance

2. 14.4 connections on k56flex Aceropen

3. Refill ink for Canon 8200

4. Help with In-Joy and FTPpm please.

5. Refilling Canon tanks?

6. V:SGI 19" Monitor

7. Time limit on refilling empty Canon BC-20 ink cartridge?

8. system freeze on fresh installs of Win 2k/XP

9. Canon BJC800 BJI-643 cartridge refilling?

10. are different Canon BJ refill kits cross compatible?

11. Wanted: Beta Testers, Canon BJC-8200 Ink Refill Kit

12. Ink monitor indicates low ink level when fully refilled with canon s820!

13. Refill Kits For Canon 8200 Printer