Canon 610 -vs- Epson Color Stylus II

Post by bhoug.. » Wed, 06 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Can anyone assist me in the decision making of purchasing a Canon
BJC-610 or Epson Stylus II,  Photo print Quality is the main
importance to me.  I would really like some input from someone who has
seen the same printout from both printers and compared them.

                                Thanks

Canon 610 -vs- Epson Color Stylus II

Post by Kevin » Thu, 07 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Tried the Cannon 610, the Epson Stylus 2, and the
HP 855c. Ended up keeping the HP... despite what
the specs. would indicate I feel the HP did better
on color photo dumps, it definitely is much faster
and the black text is more laser like than the
other two.

Canon 610 -vs- Epson Color Stylus II

Post by Allan W. Ro » Fri, 08 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>Tried the Cannon 610, the Epson Stylus 2, and the
>HP 855c. Ended up keeping the HP... despite what
>the specs. would indicate I feel the HP did better
>on color photo dumps, it definitely is much faster
>and the black text is more laser like than the
>other two.

What do you base your decision on in determining that the HP did better on
color photo dumps and black text??  The demo page??

Allan

Post by James Ri » Sat, 09 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>>Can anyone assist me in the decision making of purchasing a Canon
>>BJC-610 or Epson Stylus II,  Photo print Quality is the main
>>importance to me.  I would really like some input from someone who has
>>seen the same printout from both printers and compared them.

>I can't comment on the photo print quality of either printer, but I
>can comment on Canon's reliability, honesty, and quality of customer
>service.  They haven't any.

[Diatribe deleted]

  Give it a rest Kim!  Anyone who's read this newsgroup for any amount of time
has heard "your opinion" about Canon, ad nauseum.  Besides, most of these
people are asking about inkjets, when we have all heard, that you bought a
color laser jet.  Why don't you put together a "Why Canon sucks FAQ", and post
it here once a week,  then we won't have to see your comments in every thread
compairing printers.
  You probably don't believe it, but many people have had good experiences
with the company.  You claim that there are many complaints about their
products on the 'net, but as I have seen for the last month of reading this
group, 95% of the complaints come from you.

Jim.

Canon 610 -vs- Epson Color Stylus II

Post by Chanh Truo » Sun, 10 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: >
[...]

Canon Techs are sucks and especially their 1-800 info (sales reps?).  For
example, when you are on the market and have to purchase a color injet
within a month,  and you request fact sheets from  canon, hp and epson
(assume that you are in CA).  It took epson 3 days, hp a wk, and canon? 2
(two) months!!  Canon reps also have attitude toward customers when you
call back and mention about the request. Which printer would you most
likely to get?  Would you
get the  one which you know nothing about?  Besides, canon won't mail you
all fact sheets for their 3 bubble jets. You have that choice of one only.
(Cheap shit).
Danny D

PS. Their printheads aren't very good neither.

Canon 610 -vs- Epson Color Stylus II

Post by Adam Sund » Sun, 10 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Jim,

Is this the royal "we"?  Canon is a big company and here is the only
outlet for possible action.  I have a Canon Bubblejet and would not
buy another - tech was uneven and would not give out information
at times or just not know.  Maybe the quality of the printer has improved,
but it's marginal for me.  HP had a better product in retrospect, more
reliable in its results.

Now on a personal note, I notice that your address is from the
Naval Surface Warfare Center - so I can understand your coming
down on Kim because she is not happy that something did not work
as advertised and stated.  I used to do work for the Navy in the same
area - need I go into details about defense department contracts
and non-meeting of specifications?

Adam

Post by Derick R. Qua-Gonzal » Mon, 11 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>Can anyone assist me in the decision making of purchasing a Canon
>BJC-610 or Epson Stylus II,  Photo print Quality is the main
>importance to me.  I would really like some input from someone who has
>seen the same printout from both printers and compared them.

I would suggest getting the Epson Color Stylus _Pro_ or _Pro XL_
(large format) instead of the ES2. The print quality is certainly much
better than the Canon or HP Printers, especially in the 720dpi mode.
Also, the XL prints a full-bleed 11x17" page with crop marks on SuperB
paper for only about $2200 _with_ Level 2 PostScript.

If, as you say, "Photo print Quality" is your priority, I would
suggest getting a dyesub printer. The Fargo PrimeraPro is very good,
low cost, but slow. The Tektronix Phaser 480 is fast, output quality
is excellent, but the cost is prohibitive for home use.

I would even recommend the Epson Color Stylus Pro over the likes of
the Lexmark Jetprinter 4079 plus (inkjet), the QMS magicolor (color
laser) and the Tektronix 340 (thermal wax) which cost much more. Of
course, the Epson CSPro is _NO_ speed demon, but if you can wait, the
quality is pretty darn good. Alternatively, a very good color laser is
the Lexmark Optra C---mid-speed, good quality printing with screened

The dithering patterns are very noticeable in the Phaser 340, Lexmark
4079 plus and QMS magicolor. For example, in a pink or dark yellow
solid color area, black dithering dots are clearly visible even from
20 to 30cm away. The same is true for the Fargo PrimeraPro in thermal
wax mode _only_; in dyesub, it's great (SLOW). For the Epson Stylus
Pro XL, these dithering patterns are not visible until you get closer
than about 4cm to the page. Large areas of color are especially
vulnerable.

Best regards,
Derick.

Canon 610 -vs- Epson Color Stylus II

Post by Susan Nel » Tue, 12 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Dear all...

At the risk of being unpopular, I would like to add my 2 cents about
Epson. I know that their new printers appear to be quite impressive...But
I would like to add a MAJOR word of caution about this company too. They
offer very poor customer service, and I would NEVER consider purchasing
another product from them in the future.

Their products appear to be very competitively priced until you factor in
the cost of maintanence. They are then VERY pricey....IF you can get any
performance out of the product for more than the warranty you are luckier
than me!

Go with HP. Always quality products and they seem to have great customer
service too!

Susan
Portland Oregon

Post by James Ri » Tue, 12 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>>:   Give it a rest Kim!  Anyone who's read this newsgroup for any amount of

time

[My diatribe deleted]

Quote:

>>: Jim.

>Jim, and everyone else:

[Kim's explaination deleted]

Quote:

>The same day I made these postings, I received a very polite letter
>from someone who thought that I had gone one step too far.  He said

[More explaination deleted]

Quote:>I'm very sorry that I have offended you *so* much, Jim.  However, one
>of the functions of the newsgroups (along with other consumer sections
>in newspapers and magazines) is to report when a company has not
>treated you properly.

I was not offended, just irritated.  I should have sent you Email as the other
person did rather than posting.  My comments were harsh, I was wrong, and I
apoligize.   The point I was trying to make stands, the way I made it was of
poor character.

Jim.

Canon 610 -vs- Epson Color Stylus II

Post by Cazar » Tue, 12 Dec 1995 04:00:00

On Dec 10, 1995 02:13:55 in article <Re: Give it a rest!  Was: Re: Canon

Quote:>I'm very sorry that I have offended you *so* much, Jim.  However, one
>of the functions of the newsgroups (along with other consumer sections
>in newspapers and magazines) is to report when a company has not
>treated you properly.

*******  ABSOLUTELY  *******

Quote:>If I don't report what Canon did to me, what will stop them from doing it

to you next?

   I can appreciate that someone might get upset at hearing a story often,
but many, many NEW people might also be reading the group. I don't object
to your statements at all. I think it's very necessary for people to speak
up and I've appreciated your doing so. I'm not even sure it's necessary to
confine your responses to people to discussing the specific model. I think
a company capable of the sort of ripoff that happened to you just might not
be trustworthy in general. I mean, they didn't just sell you a printer that
didn't work according to its adverti*ts, after the sale, they tried to
entrap you into legally giving up your right to sue. A fraudulent sale was
compounded by followup attempts to rip you off further and they tried to
disarm you so you couldn't defend yourself. I find this especially
shameful.

   I wonder what the _company_ is capable of. How low does this thing go?

Canon 610 -vs- Epson Color Stylus II

Post by James Ri » Tue, 12 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>Jim,

>Is this the royal "we"?

I use the word "we" to refer to the people reading this newsgroup, I am not
the only person to complain about the posts.  I did not say that Canon was a
great company, or even that I approved of them and their products.  I mearly
stated that Kim had posted the same comments in practically every thread
compairing printers about how poor Canon was, and implied that there were many
posts and comments to collaborate this.  I have been reading this group for a
month now, and including your's, have read about 3 negative posts (not
including Kim's) about Canon.  Hardly what I would call a consensus.

Jim.

 Canon is a big company and here is the only

Quote:>outlet for possible action.  I have a Canon Bubblejet and would not
>buy another - tech was uneven and would not give out information
>at times or just not know.  Maybe the quality of the printer has improved,
>but it's marginal for me.  HP had a better product in retrospect, more
>reliable in its results.

Canon 610 -vs- Epson Color Stylus II

Post by Chiu Sze » Thu, 14 Dec 1995 04:00:00

        Not to be "Canon bashing", but I can understand all the ill
feelings that a lot of people have against Canon. I have to resort to
writing to Canon in an attempt to get my BJC-600 serviced before the
warranty runs out in less than a month from now.

        It was damaged by the movers when we relocated out to the West
Coast, but after spending over 3 hours on hold on their 800 number. I was
told by their Technical Support that I am covered under the 2 year
warranty, but the catch is trying to get a hold of their "Consumer
Relations Department" to arrange for the warranty work...

        I was provided a toll number this time, that also leaves you on
hold for extended durations. After spending over an hour on hold, I am
now attempting to reach them via "snail mail" before my warranty period
runs out next month.

        That's poor service without a doubt, when you have to wait over 3
hours to reach their Technical Support, and over an hour on a toll number
without reaching anyone... They are also inaccessbale via the WEB when
their "feedback" is nothing more than a survey with no option to leave any
"real" comments!!!

Chiu

Quote:>Is this the royal "we"?  Canon is a big company and here is the only
>outlet for possible action.  I have a Canon Bubblejet and would not
>buy another - tech was uneven and would not give out information
>at times or just not know.  Maybe the quality of the printer has improved,
>but it's marginal for me.  HP had a better product in retrospect, more
>reliable in its results.

Canon 610 -vs- Epson Color Stylus II

Post by Cazar » Thu, 14 Dec 1995 04:00:00

On Dec 13, 1995 06:50:16 in article <Re: Give it a rest!  Was: Re: Canon

Quote:>That's poor service without a doubt, when you have to wait over 3
>hours to reach their Technical Support, and over an hour on a toll number
>without reaching anyone... They are also inaccessbale via the WEB when
>their "feedback" is nothing more than a survey with no option to leave any
>"real" comments!!!

   Thanks for the input. Your experience with Canon is even worse than my
experience with HP. L-O-N-G waits on a long distance phone number (which
you had to call several other long distance numbers to get) and then they
want $9 for an updated driver for a printer 16 months old. Epson treated me
a whole lot better - on a printer that cost one-third what the HP did...
You _don't_ always get what you pay for.