Epson Stylus Color & jagged lines/fonts ?

Post by Archana S. Pras » Tue, 20 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>I recently bought an Epson Stylus Color, with the 1.06 drivers.
>When I print TrueType Fonts from within Windows I get
>really jagged edges on the slants in the 720 x 720 dpi
>resolution. I've tried every possible setting for the
>driver, but nothing seems to help.
>I've got similar problems with printing 45 degrees
>lines from within Coreldraw 5.0. They don't come out straight,
>but are very jagged.
>Is this normal?

Sure doesn't sound normal.  You are describing what Mac users used to complain
about (their drawings, not bitmaps, were rendered at 360 dpi).

Try using VGA graphics drivers to see if the video drivers are buggy.

Read the ESCFAQ.3

A. Prasad

Post by Jan Verhoev » Tue, 20 Jun 1995 04:00:00

I recently bought an Epson Stylus Color, with the 1.06 drivers.
When I print TrueType Fonts from within Windows I get
really jagged edges on the slants in the 720 x 720 dpi
resolution. I've tried every possible setting for the
driver, but nothing seems to help.

I've got similar problems with printing 45 degrees
lines from within Coreldraw 5.0. They don't come out straight,
but are very jagged.

Is this normal?

When I print the demo pages (the demos which are on wuarchive)
everything is fine however.

Is it the windows driver ? I've also tried the ESC 3.3
driver, but that doesn't make much of a difference.

Jan Verhoeven

Epson Stylus Color & jagged lines/fonts ?

Post by Paul Dema » Wed, 28 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>I recently bought an Epson Stylus Color, with the 1.06 drivers.
>When I print TrueType Fonts from within Windows I get
>really jagged edges on the slants in the 720 x 720 dpi
>resolution. I've tried every possible setting for the
>driver, but nothing seems to help.

>Jan Verhoeven

Food for thought,

I have the Epson Stylus colour and love it very much.
I did calibrate it however with the a dos driver before I could use it.
If you haven't done that it may be why your getting the fuzzy edges.
If you have already done that I don't know what to suggest except
that mayby you have a bad printer cable. I had one a week ago
and my lazer printer printed some things ok and others with bad
edges etc. It's always worth a try I suppose. The other thing
to try is using a dos program like wp51 or Qpro and using the
LQ2550 driver setting. (I use this on mine) It won't give
you 720 dpi but it will tell you if your windows driver has a
problem. Dos is still good for something. Testing hardware.

Take care

Epson Stylus Color & jagged lines/fonts ?

Post by rfra » Sun, 02 Jul 1995 04:00:00

     I think it depends on the software you're feeding the driver with.
Fonts stuck into a bitmap with PhotoShop have a tendency to be jaggy;
fonts printed with a vector program (a star charting program I use,
Corel Draw, and Word) produce super crisp text - easily the equal of my
LaserJet III.

> >I recently bought an Epson Stylus Color, with the 1.06 drivers.
> >When I print TrueType Fonts from within Windows I get
> >really jagged edges on the slants in the 720 x 720 dpi
> >resolution. I've tried every possible setting for the
> >driver, but nothing seems to help.

Epson Stylus Color & jagged lines/fonts ?

Post by Mar » Tue, 04 Jul 1995 04:00:00

I think that you have a simple problem, the fonts become a graphic as the
same resolution as the image - so if the image is 72dpi (screen images)
the font will be jaggie, but if you make the image 300-400 dpi it will be
smooth and crisp.

:      I think it depends on the software you're feeding the driver with.
: Fonts stuck into a bitmap with PhotoShop have a tendency to be jaggy;
: fonts printed with a vector program (a star charting program I use,
: Corel Draw, and Word) produce super crisp text - easily the equal of my
: LaserJet III.

: > >
: > >I recently bought an Epson Stylus Color, with the 1.06 drivers.
: > >When I print TrueType Fonts from within Windows I get
: > >really jagged edges on the slants in the 720 x 720 dpi
: > >resolution. I've tried every possible setting for the
: > >driver, but nothing seems to help.

| Mark *      | I'm sure about most of what I think I know about.    |

1. Stylus Color 800 - jagged text

I just got my Stylus Color 800 and have yet to print on any high quality
paper yet, so the wow factor is still to be had.

BUT, I am disappointed in one thing - when I print text upside down,
such as when you print a folding greeting card, the text is terribly
jagged and mis-sized, whereas the right side up text is clear and
smooth.

Hope this isn't representative of the quality. I am hoping I have
something set up wrong. I am also using a StyleWriter 2500, and the very
same documents look great both directions.

Anyone seen this (I know there aren't too many 800's out there yet.)

J Hewell

2. Error message help

3. HP720 Lines are jagged

4. The location of EDMAC?

5. canon BJC-4000 jagged vertical lines

6. HELP! --Win95 network conflict with IE

7. Epson Stylus 200 Ink Lite & Printer Off line ?????

8. Death In The Caribbean and Car Builder

9. FS: Epson Stylus Color 600 & 800 (1440dpi) -- $280.67 & $412.17

10. HP 4si MX font - need a 10 point LINE PRINTER font

11. Epson stylus color & excessive banding w/ color help

12. HP DJ682C - Jagged Print in Color Econo-Mode

13. EPSON Stylus Color : white lines