Need poster printer, color laser highquality

Need poster printer, color laser highquality

Post by erols new » Sat, 06 Feb 1999 04:00:00

We have an Epson Stylus 3000.  It prints great when it prints.  We have
spent probably 40 hours on it in the last 3 months trying to get it to do
what we need.  Tech support is horrible, occasionally rude or impatient,
documentation is horrible.  Techsupport and documentation contradict
eachother.    bottom line...  don't buy it if you are going to use it for
production.  It is more of a toy.

Back to the subject...  I need a recommendation on what to try next.  We
don't want anything Epson obviously.  We need 2 printers, one poster printer
that prints around 16"x any length...  We also need a color laser that does
11"x17".  I heard that QMS has a color laser that is only $1300.  Any one
know what's good?

Need poster printer, color laser highquality

Post by Jan Steinman -- jan AT bytesmiths DOT c » Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>...  We also need a color laser that does
> 11"x17".  I heard that QMS has a color laser that is only $1300...

Try ~$4300 for the magiColor 330, which is their tabloid printer. It will
do 11x17 full bleed on paper up to 12x18 or so. The print samples I've
seen are impressive, albeit not quite as good as the 8.5x11 magiColor 2
EX.

This is the year of the tabloid color laser. Besides QMS, Lexmark and HP
are shipping ~$5,000 models, and Minolta is said to have one in the works.
AFAIK, HP is the only one that can do auto-duplexing with an optional
part, but I've been unable to get a price for that option alone. They sell
the 8500DN that includes the auto-duplexing for over $8,000, and somehow,
I don't think all the $3,000 difference between that and the basic model
is the duplexer.

--
: Jan Steinman -- Jan AT Bytesmiths DOT com
: Spammers: please add:

: to your list -- he threatened me for forwarding him your
: spam with a protest against his pro-spam bill, so I'm sure
: he'd love to hear from you all! :-)

Need poster printer, color laser highquality

Post by Joseph M. Wa » Tue, 09 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Jan,

  I looked into this a little.  I work for a different division of HP, but
we are considering getting one.  There are several differences between the
base 8500 and the 8500DN.  The DN has 32 MB additional memory (64 total), a
JetDirect card, a 2 GB HDD, a 2000 sheet input tray and the duplexer.
(http://www.hp.com/printers/clj8500/)  I believe that the duplexer part
number is C4782A (I got this from www.hp.com, go to products, printers,
workgroup printers).  Finding a price for this is a little harder.
www.buy.hp.com show a list price for this at $599.

Joe Wax
The opinios expressed here are my own and do not belong to my employer, HP.

>AFAIK, HP is the only one that can do auto-duplexing with an optional
>part, but I've been unable to get a price for that option alone. They sell
>the 8500DN that includes the auto-duplexing for over $8,000, and somehow,
>I don't think all the $3,000 difference between that and the basic model
>is the duplexer.

>--
>: Jan Steinman -- Jan AT Bytesmiths DOT com
>: Spammers: please add:

>: to your list -- he threatened me for forwarding him your
>: spam with a protest against his pro-spam bill, so I'm sure
>: he'd love to hear from you all! :-)

Need poster printer, color laser highquality

Post by Jan Steinman -- jan AT bytesmiths DOT c » Tue, 09 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>   I looked into this a little.  I work for a different division of HP, but
> we are considering getting one.  There are several differences between the
> base 8500 and the 8500DN...

Thanks for the info, Joe!

Next question: it was unclear to me if the plain 8500 would speak
Ethernet, or if you need the JetDirect card. It would seem a little
chintzy to me to sell a $4500 graphics arts printer that only had a
parallel port!

So speaking of chintzy, it sounds like I can buy an 8500, add RAM and a
disk, and for $600 add the duplexer, and I'll be happy, for at least
$2,000 less than the 8500DN.

The 2000 sheet input explains the huge difference in shipping weight. I
don't need, nor want to pay for, the 2,000 page input.

--

Post by Joseph M. Wa » Wed, 10 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>Next question: it was unclear to me if the plain 8500 would speak
>Ethernet, or if you need the JetDirect card.

I am pretty sure that the base 8500 only has a parallel port and cannot
speak Ethernet.   I think the argument for this is that not everyone wants
to attach their printers directly to a network.  Many still connect their
printers to a server.  At least this is true in my monochrome world.

Quote:>So speaking of chintzy, it sounds like I can buy an 8500, add RAM and a
>disk, and for $600 add the duplexer, and I'll be happy, for at least
>$2,000 less than the 8500DN.

>The 2000 sheet input explains the huge difference in shipping weight. I
>don't need, nor want to pay for, the 2,000 page input.

 I am not sure what all the options cost, but I am sure you could save money
by buying only what you want.  The 2000 sheet input does add quite a bit of
the cost.

Joe