NEC printer

Post by schla.. » Mon, 27 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Am interested in purchasing an NEC superscript 860--but they appear to
be in short supply.  Are they being phased out?  Next question,  why
is there a shortage of toner cartridges for this machine?  Am I making
a mistake in considering this purchase?

TIA

NEC printer

Post by John Connoll » Tue, 28 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> Am interested in purchasing an NEC superscript 860--but they appear to
> be in short supply.  Are they being phased out?  Next question,  why
> is there a shortage of toner cartridges for this machine?  Am I making
> a mistake in considering this purchase?

> TIA

That's what we said about the cartridges being hard to find, and wouldn't
you know it a broker in Texas offered us 150 empty cartridges which we are
remanufacturing. Also have about 60 for the NEC SS 610/640/660. Either is
$US69.00 or $Can99.00 deduct $6.00 if sending empty.

More details, guarantees, references at  http://www.image-control.com

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

NEC printer

Post by dp.. » Thu, 30 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> Am interested in purchasing an NEC superscript 860--but they appear to
> be in short supply.  Are they being phased out?  Next question,  why
> is there a shortage of toner cartridges for this machine?  Am I making
> a mistake in considering this purchase?

> TIA

Have u checked the price of the cartridges. As I recall the 850
cartridge was about $180 which was pretty pricey for a 1500 copy
cartridge.

Ther is usually not a large second tier market for cartridge refills if
the overall product is not too popular. Without refills ther OEM
consumable price tends to remain high.

NEC consumables have always been rather high in cost which increases
your overall cost per page and cost of ownership.

--
       * Perron
http://www.veryComputer.com/~dperr/

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't.....will happen."

NEC printer

Post by Derek R. Lars » Thu, 30 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>> Am interested in purchasing an NEC superscript 860--but they appear to
>> be in short supply.  Are they being phased out?  Next question,  why
>> is there a shortage of toner cartridges for this machine?  Am I making
>> a mistake in considering this purchase?

>> TIA

>Have u checked the price of the cartridges. As I recall the 850
>cartridge was about $180 which was pretty pricey for a 1500 copy
>cartridge.

You're way off base here-- the carts are about $125 retail (local Staples
store has them) and they are rated for 5,000 copies, not 1,500.  That's
2.5 cents per copy for consumables, and if you but your paper at a
warehouse club you'll come in well under 4 cents per copy including paper.

-drl
Derek R. Larson           Indiana University       Department of History
  "Eastward I go by force, but Westward I go free!"  -H. D. Thoreau
-----------------------php.indiana.edu/~drlarson------------------------

NEC printer

Post by Howard Kaik » Thu, 30 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I recently replaced my NEC Silentwriter 95 with an Optra E+ with
Postscript option.

The Optra E has a toner cartridge rated at 3000 pages and a photoconductor
cartridge rated at 20000 pages.

As I recall, the NEC cartridges are rated at 8000 pages.

I then computed the cost of the cartridges for 120000 pages. The Optra
came out about $100 ahead. Of course, toner cartridge prices vary over
time and depend on quantity purchased.

--
Howard Kaikow
[Placeholder for more informative signature]

NEC printer

Post by Gordon Gran » Thu, 30 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Agree about the pages per cartridge (how come that little fact is so
often ignored?)
However, all the stores around here (NJ) sell them for near-list ($140
or so)... IF they have them in stock! Best Buy, where I bought mine,
does not stock them!!
I sometimes purchase through Quill, but the last call I made ( a week
ago) came up empty... they had no stock, and didn't expect any for
another week. It is a mystery to me why this is such a problem... did I
buy a printer that noone else did?

-Gordon G

> >> Am interested in purchasing an NEC superscript 860--but they appear to
> >> be in short supply.  Are they being phased out?  Next question,  why
> >> is there a shortage of toner cartridges for this machine?  Am I making
> >> a mistake in considering this purchase?

> >> TIA

> >Have u checked the price of the cartridges. As I recall the 850
> >cartridge was about $180 which was pretty pricey for a 1500 copy
> >cartridge.

> You're way off base here-- the carts are about $125 retail (local Staples
> store has them) and they are rated for 5,000 copies, not 1,500.  That's
> 2.5 cents per copy for consumables, and if you but your paper at a
> warehouse club you'll come in well under 4 cents per copy including paper.

> -drl
> --
> Derek R. Larson           Indiana University       Department of History
>   "Eastward I go by force, but Westward I go free!"  -H. D. Thoreau
> -----------------------php.indiana.edu/~drlarson------------------------

NEC printer

Post by Bryan G » Thu, 05 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>Am interested in purchasing an NEC superscript 860--but they appear to
>be in short supply.  Are they being phased out?  Next question,  why
>is there a shortage of toner cartridges for this machine?  Am I making
>a mistake in considering this purchase?

They have been replaced by the 870

NEC printer

Post by Claude Danie » Thu, 05 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>Am interested in purchasing an NEC superscript 860--but they appear to
>be in short supply.  Are they being phased out?  Next question,  why
>is there a shortage of toner cartridges for this machine?  Am I making
>a mistake in considering this purchase?

>TIA

A good printer (but discontinued since several month)
Now the printer must be very inexpensive

Here in Canada the tuner is pretty expensive +200 Can $
Poor support in Windows Nt (drivers with  minimal possibility and very old).

In Win_95 the driver work good for me and it is probably the same in
Win_98 (but I did not test it by myself but do not see "noise" on that in
Newsgroups...

Claude

1. NEC Printer

Hello,

Anyone here have one of the NEC 1800N Supercript network printers?
I'm having problems with the setup on a small network and wondered if
anyone else had similar problems and if they found a solution.
---
Elbert Clarke

remove the ** to email

2. 'Netrun' over srvifs