HP DeskJet 660C: 'Incorrect Installation' message

HP DeskJet 660C: 'Incorrect Installation' message

Post by Tim Gregson-Willia » Sun, 08 Dec 1996 04:00:00

After some months of using my 660C trouble-free, I have started
getting error messages; when I print, I get an ' Incorrect
Installation: Colour cartridges not installed properly' message.  No
amount of fiddling around with the cartridges stops the messages,
though the printing actually goes ahead.

Rang HP (UK) and they told me to hack my ini files, basically to
disable diagnostic communication between PC (Win95) and DeskJet.  This
worked, but struck me as unsatisfactory.  Surely that's just covering
up the real problem.

I've just upgraded the driver to 9.01 (from 7.0) and the messages are
back.

Has anyone had a similar problem and any suggestions for solving it?

This is probably a stupid question, but here goes anyway: Does the
printer have bios? Can it be upgraded?

Thanks

Tim

Post by Gary » Wed, 11 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> After some months of using my 660C trouble-free, I have started
> getting error messages; when I print, I get an ' Incorrect
> Installation: Colour cartridges not installed properly' message.  No
> amount of fiddling around with the cartridges stops the messages,
> though the printing actually goes ahead.

> Rang HP (UK) and they told me to hack my ini files, basically to
> disable diagnostic communication between PC (Win95) and DeskJet.  This
> worked, but struck me as unsatisfactory.  Surely that's just covering
> up the real problem.

> I've just upgraded the driver to 9.01 (from 7.0) and the messages are
> back.

> Has anyone had a similar problem and any suggestions for solving it?

> This is probably a stupid question, but here goes anyway: Does the
> printer have bios? Can it be upgraded?

> Thanks

> Tim

Yes, I had the same problem, although I believe the solution simply
reduces the sensitivity of the printer cables, at least that's the
explanation from HP. I went into my hpfdjc03.ini (this will be hp...05
on yours-I haven't updated my driver) and changed the values of
2CableTest=0200 and 2DSMEnable=200. I changed both to 100. Everything
has worked fine since. Hope this helps.
--
Regards,
Gary

Post by Dave JW Da » Mon, 23 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>>After some months of using my 660C trouble-free, I have started
>>getting error messages; when I print, I get an ' Incorrect
>>Installation: Colour cartridges not installed properly' message.

try

a) switching off bi-directional printing - these error messages seem to
be a feature that only after a couple of months

hth
--

     SE England
In a world where death is the hunter my friend, there is no time for regrets