HELP: Panasonic KX-P2123 + Windows + Color

HELP: Panasonic KX-P2123 + Windows + Color

Post by Roger Theriau » Thu, 18 Mar 1993 01:17:36

I looks like I may have this problem*ed (I hope!). With ROM version B
in my KX-P2123, and by removing all existing drivers for that printer and then
installing a KX-P2123 printer driver version 1.1 (which I downloaded from
CompuServe), my printer appears to be printing color properly. At least
the documents which had problems before don't anymore...
Oddly enough, this driver seems to be the same version as the one I just
replaced, which I downloaded from Panasonic's BBS. However, the CompuServe
driver appears to have been placed there recently. If you have a CompuServe
membership and want the driver, GO CLUB (+). It's in the Panasonic library.
If you are really desperate, e-mail me and I can e-mail the driver (zipped
and uuencoded) to you. I would bet that you need ROM version B in your printer.
(Interestingly enough, I received my new ROM a few weeks ago, version B, but
the next day, at a local store, saw a KX-P2123 with version C in it! Hmmm.)

Of course, the jury's still out, but we'll see how this performs...

--

  /\/\otorola -=--==-==--=-    UUCP: {uw-beaver,uunet}!van-bc!mdivax1!theriaul
 /    \obile Data              CompuServe: 71332,730 (not too often)

HELP: Panasonic KX-P2123 + Windows + Color

Post by Leo Jam » Fri, 19 Mar 1993 23:54:45

Hi!
     Is there a way to capture the contents of a window into
a postscript file?
--
+---------------------+-----------------------+-----------------------+
|Leopold E. James     | "A heart, a soul, AND | AT&T Paradyne         |

Post by Ted Ryp » Mon, 22 Mar 1993 06:43:42

: Hi!
:      Is there a way to capture the contents of a window into
: a postscript file?

For Unix and X11 there's xv - a great program capable of this and much,
much more.

Ted Rypma
HP Panacom Division
Waterloo, Ontario

Post by Constantinos Malam » Tue, 23 Mar 1993 03:44:00

>: Hi!
>:      Is there a way to capture the contents of a window into
>: a postscript file?

        This is a 2 step problem (unless there is a _program_ that does this
in which case I would be as interested to know about this as the original
poster). The first part is to capture the contents of a window: if it's a
win prog that's running then, there _has_ to be a way to do that (copy, paste
something...! ). If it's a DOS box, then PrntScreen (yeah that button on the
keyboard) would do it... Now as far as getting everything to PS, there is only
one way (I know of :) ) : Install a PS-compatible printer and connect it to
the FILE: port (all this is under Ctrl Panel/Printers ) Be sure to select a
highly compatible printer (any Apple Laserwriter will do, I use the Plus).
Be also sure to choose the Translsation Table under the Printer Setup, otherwise
you wont be able to see on the screen, the fonts that the Printer doesnt
know (it's called 'the machine that tries to outsmart you'). If all goes well,
you are gonna have a 100% compatible PS file to print on any PS capable printer.
Hope it helps...

Costas Malamas________________________________________________________________
Georgia Institute of Technology

Post by Thomas G Schlatt » Tue, 23 Mar 1993 06:04:30

>: Hi!
>:      Is there a way to capture the contents of a window into
>: a postscript file?

>For Unix and X11 there's xv - a great program capable of this and much,
>much more.

>Ted Rypma
>HP Panacom Division
>Waterloo, Ontario

I think you might be lost.  This is comp.os.ms-windows.misc.
comp.os.unix is down the hall, third door on the right.

Post by Richard Warn » Wed, 24 Mar 1993 02:30:59

>>: Hi!
>>:      Is there a way to capture the contents of a window into
>>: a postscript file?
>    This is a 2 step problem (unless there is a _program_ that does this
>in which case I would be as interested to know about this as the original
>poster). The first part is to capture the contents of a window: if it's a
>win prog that's running then, there _has_ to be a way to do that (copy, paste
>something...! ). If it's a DOS box, then PrntScreen (yeah that button on the
>keyboard) would do it... Now as far as getting everything to PS, there is only
>one way (I know of :) ) : Install a PS-compatible printer and connect it to
>the FILE: port (all this is under Ctrl Panel/Printers ) Be sure to select a
>highly compatible printer (any Apple Laserwriter will do, I use the Plus).
>Be also sure to choose the Translsation Table under the Printer Setup, otherwise
>you wont be able to see on the screen, the fonts that the Printer doesnt
>know (it's called 'the machine that tries to outsmart you'). If all goes well,
>you are gonna have a 100% compatible PS file to print on any PS capable printer.

It is a PostScript file, but there is one caveat to bear in mind.  It is
a bitmap image, not a vector file (like *real* PostScript) so it is not
truly 'scalable'.

>Hope it helps...
>Costas Malamas________________________________________________________________
>Georgia Institute of Technology

HELP: Panasonic KX-P2123 + Windows + Color

Post by Stephen Chico (C » Fri, 26 Mar 1993 23:20:37

I belive this has been asked befor, but I need the info again,

Is there a way to change the size of DOS application windows. ie. 123 &
harvard Graphics.

Thanks

Steve

1. HELP: Panasonic KX-P2123 + Windows + Color

I'm starting to wonder whether to just write off Panasonic products...

I'm having major problems printing in color on my Panasonic KX-P2123 printer
using the PANASONIC SUPPLIED windows 3.1 printer drivers. Almost every time
I print I end up with one of the color passes being completely mis-registered
(sometimes by an inch, sometimes more) on random passes. There seems to be
some printer or driver problem. I've tried printing from Paintbrush,
Ami Pro, and more... all give similar results. This is making my color
printing impossible...

So I called Panasonic a month or so ago. They passed me to "advanced tech
support" where somebody said he'd seen it before and since I have ROM
version A, I needed a ROM upgrade.

The chip arrived in the mail last week (rattling around in a box...) and
I installed it and re-installed the color kit for a test... the ROM
showed Version B, and my test printouts turned out identically awful.

I've already tried every Panasonic printer driver for the KX-P2123 that was
ever uploaded to a BBS or CompuServe (including both MS and Panasonic's
BBS).

So last week I called Panasonic again and was passed to either the same
person with amnesia, or a janitor filling in... he proceeded to tell me
that the other guy was wrong, there was no ROM problem, and it must be
my software. Oh, and by the way, the printer drivers are Microsoft's
responsibility! Take it to a Panasonic Service Center...   Before I had
a chance to tell this guy that I wasn't the only one with the problem,
<CLICK> he was gone.

So, if you own or use a Panasonic KX-P2123 with a color kit, and print
using Microsoft Windows 3.1, could you please e-mail (or post) the
details of your experience... does it work, and if so,  why?  I need
to collect ammunition for a third call to Panasonic...

(In the meantime, if you were planning to purchase a color dot-matrix
printer, I'd advise re-reading the above...)

thanks,

Roger
--

  /\/\otorola -=--==-==--=-    UUCP: {uw-beaver,uunet}!van-bc!mdivax1!theriaul
 /    \obile Data              CompuServe: 71332,730 (not too often)
I am not a spokesman for Motorola or anyone else besides myself.

2. Recommendation on micro for the project

3. Help with Panasonic KX-P2123 color please!

4. Internet Mail and News ????

5. Panasonic KX-P2123 Color Help!

6. PowerPlant and STL

7. Panasonic KX-P2123 and Windows 3.1

8. simple circuit

9. Does anybody have problems using a Panasonic KX-P2123 with Windows 95 version 4.00B

10. color kit for panasonic kx-p2123

11. Which color printer? Panasonic KX-P2123, HP500C

12. Need Driver for Panasonic KX-P2123 Color Printer