Cartridges for HP 660C, 850C, 1600C

Post by Hubert van Dong » Sat, 17 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Till recently all Hewlett Packard Deskjet and Deskwriter printers (except the
1200C) used the same cartridges. A clear stategy with the results that
retailers only need a limited number of types of cartridges to help all their
customers.

The latest 3 Deskjets (660C, 850C and 1600C) are a different ballgame. These 3
printers use 7 different types of cartridges, all different from the "old"
Deskjets.

Any clue why HP is making the world so difficult??

Hubert van Dongen

  "Het kan verkeren"

Cartridges for HP 660C, 850C, 1600C

Post by Roger Bilewi » Mon, 19 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Till recently all Hewlett Packard Deskjet and Deskwriter printers (except the
>1200C) used the same cartridges. A clear stategy with the results that
>retailers only need a limited number of types of cartridges to help all their
>customers.
>The latest 3 Deskjets (660C, 850C and 1600C) are a different ballgame. These 3
>printers use 7 different types of cartridges, all different from the "old"
>Deskjets.
>Any clue why HP is making the world so difficult??

Obviously: To make life harder for those who sell refill kits.

Roger

ps.: There are more ink jet printers on the market - made in Japan.

Cartridges for HP 660C, 850C, 1600C

Post by Patrick Cha » Wed, 21 Jun 1995 04:00:00

DISCAIMER: I'm not speaking for the Hewlett-Packard Company. None of my
        statements are guaranteed to be accurate, although they are correct
        correct to the best of my (incomplete) knowledge.

|> >Till recently all Hewlett Packard Deskjet and Deskwriter printers (except
|> >the 1200C) used the same cartridges. A clear stategy with the results that
|> >retailers only need a limited number of types of cartridges to help all
|> >their customers.
|>
|> >The latest 3 Deskjets (660C, 850C and 1600C) are a different ballgame.
|> >These 3 printers use 7 different types of cartridges, all different from
|> >the "old" Deskjets.

Actually, there are 4 new cartridges. The CMY cartridges for the 1600C
are the same as those used in the 1200C, and are therefore not new.

|> >Any clue why HP is making the world so difficult??
|>
|> Obviously: To make life harder for those who sell refill kits.

Obviously not. Let's look at the 3 printers in question plus the 5x0 line,
and their respective cartridges, and see what can be figured out from
publically available information:

1.) Classic DeskJet:
    * Black cartridge: 300 nozzles/inch array spacing, 50 nozzles, dye-based
        ink. Used in 300x300 and 600x300 dpi print modes.
    * Color cartridge: 300 nozzles/inch array spacing, 48 nozzles (16/16/16
        C/M/Y). Used in 300x300 dpi print modes.

2.) The 660C:
    * Black cartridge: 300 nozzles/inch array spacing, 50 nozzles. Pigmented
        ink. Higher firing rate than "Classic" black cartridge, used with
        new 600x600 dpi high quality print mode as well as printmodes
        similar to 5x0.
    * Color cartridge: 300 nozzles/inch array spacing, 48 nozzles (16/16/16
        C/M/Y). Used in 600x300 high-quality and 300x300 dpi printmodes.
        New inks.

Commentary:
        The 660C's cartridges are broadly similar to those used in the 5x0
series based on the nozzle spacings and counts. They have the same form
factor as well. Based on the published information above, it would be a
reasonable guess that HP introduced the new cartridges in order to obtain
the new inks and higher firing frequency, which in turn allowed new
printmodes to be implemented in the printer.

3.) The 850C:
    * Black cartridge: 600 nozzles/inch array spacing, 300 nozzles. Pigmented
        ink. Very high firing rate (higher than either "classic" or 660C
        cartridges). In the 850C, this cartridge achieves 6 ppm for full-
        density (undepleted) 600x600 dpi.
    * Color cartridge: 300 nozzles/inch array spacing, 192 nozzles (64/64/64
        C/M/Y). Used in 300x300 dpi CRet printmodes. New dye-based inks.

Commentary:
        The 850C's cartridges are almost an order of magnitude more complex
than those used in either the DJ-5x0 or the DJ-660C based on nozzle counts.
They also offer higher firing frequencies and have a larger form factor (the
latter is important, since the form factor determines both the deliverable
ink volume and the size of the printer: different markets demand different
tradeoffs between these two variables). All of this complexity adds up to
a more expensive printer needed to drive/support them. The rewards are higher
speed and better print quality. I therefore advance the argument that you
couldn't offer both the 660C's lower price and the 850C's higher speed
and print quality without doing two separate pen sets.

4.) The 1600C
    * Black cartridge: same as in 850C, except that the more aggressive
        printer implementation yields 8 ppm instead of 6.
    * Color cartridges: same as 1200C, but used with new, faster printmodes.            300 nozzle/inch array spacing, 104 nozzles per primary (312 total),
        separate cartridge for each primary, larger per-primary ink
        capacity than in any other HP color cartridge.

Commentary:
        The 1600C uses the same black cartridge as the 850C, so there's
really nothing to justify on that one. Likewise, the color cartridges are
the same as those used in the 1200C.

|> Roger
|>
|> ps.: There are more ink jet printers on the market - made in Japan.

Hmmm. Can you show an inkjet vendor (Japanese or otherwise) who offers
a broad line of printers without also offereing a pretty broad spectrum
of print cartridge variations to go in those printers?

Patrick Chase           Not speaking for Hewlett-Packard...
H-P San Diego

Cartridges for HP 660C, 850C, 1600C

Post by Mike Bonifac » Tue, 27 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Patrick Chase   says:

Quote:> Actually, there are 4 new cartridges. The CMY cartridges for the 1600C
> are the same as those used in the 1200C, and are therefore not new.

> |> Obviously: To make life harder for those who sell refill kits.

I dont think there is a challenge here!

Mike Boniface, Inky Fingers, 65 High St, BARRY, Wales, CF62 7DU.