Deskjet 882C's text output quality

Post by Cameron Swinto » Thu, 29 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I recently read a review of the HP Deskjet 882c
(http://www.idg.net/idg_frames/english/content.cgi?vc=docid_9-125452.html)
which stated that the text output of the 882c was not as with the older
722c.  The CNET review
(http://www.computers.com/product/review/0,212,0-15-730930,00.html?st....
l.txt.rev) also mentioned that the text output on plain paper left much to
be desired.  However, elsewhere I've read that the text output is good --
what do I believe?  I've seen the text output of the 722C and think it is
very acceptable.  Would I be better to go with the 722C if I want better
text output?
Does anybody have any experience that would support or challenge these
reviews?  Anyone?
Thanks

- Cameron Swinton

to reply via email, remove the X from my address.

Deskjet 882C's text output quality

Post by Stev » Thu, 29 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I read the exact same reviews and also wondering whether to get a 722, 882,
or 895....or the 2000.  I've heard the 722 is the best overall quality for
the price.  Anyone have any input here?

TIA,

Steve

Deskjet 882C's text output quality

Post by Karin Adamczy » Thu, 29 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I have an 895 -- my daughter has a 722. I do not see a difference in the
quality of the text, but the 722 is slightly better for photos. I feel both
produce excellent photo prints. We had an Epson 740, but exchanged it for
the 895 because it started banding after less than a week (ran the cleaning
routine and it started banding again in 3 days). While the quality of photos
printed with the Epson 740 in 1440x720 on special paper was superb, the
quality in lower resolutions and on plain paper was no comparison to the
HPs.

Hope this helps,
Karin

Quote:> I read the exact same reviews and also wondering whether to get a 722,
882,
> or 895....or the 2000.  I've heard the 722 is the best overall quality for
> the price.  Anyone have any input here?

> TIA,

> Steve

Deskjet 882C's text output quality

Post by Reggie Ralp » Thu, 29 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I have a 880c and the photo qualite is very good , text is also very good .
my brother has the 722 c and between the two of them there is really no
difference except
mine is alot faster because i have it connected
to the USB , but also because it has the added 2mg of memory , dont be
fooled the added memory really makes a difference.

Quote:> I recently read a review of the HP Deskjet 882c
> (http://www.idg.net/idg_frames/english/content.cgi?vc=docid_9-125452.html)
> which stated that the text output of the 882c was not as with the older
> 722c.  The CNET review

(http://www.computers.com/product/review/0,212,0-15-730930,00.html?st....
> l.txt.rev) also mentioned that the text output on plain paper left much to
> be desired.  However, elsewhere I've read that the text output is good --
> what do I believe?  I've seen the text output of the 722C and think it is
> very acceptable.  Would I be better to go with the 722C if I want better
> text output?
> Does anybody have any experience that would support or challenge these
> reviews?  Anyone?
> Thanks

> - Cameron Swinton

> to reply via email, remove the X from my address.

Deskjet 882C's text output quality

Post by Matti Partone » Fri, 30 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Having used one of the older Deskjet models (870) and one of the
newer ones (1120), I have noticed something that might explain
these conflicting views, at least partly.

The black ink cartridge 51645A that performed superbly on the 870
did not work as well with the 1120: for example, on every 2nd or
3rd text line the right edges of the characters were noticeably
"saw-toothed", and those lines were to the eye somewhat darker than
the others. The quality of text was uneven across a page.

Then, sometime end of last year, a new model of that black cartridge
hit the market, and gone was the "saw-toothiness": text is perfectly
crisp and of consistent visual appearance. HP has not, however,
confirmed my suspicion that this new cartridge is actually the first
to work well with the newer printers.

Both the old and new carts are marked "51645A" on the front side, but
the new comes in differently colored package - solid blue with orange
bubbles - and reads "51645AE ABB" on the bottom side of the package.

Maybe this helps,
Matti P.

Quote:> I recently read a review of the HP Deskjet 882c
> (http://www.idg.net/idg_frames/english/content.cgi?vc=docid_9-125452.html)
> which stated that the text output of the 882c was not as with the older
> 722c.  The CNET review
> (http://www.computers.com/product/review/0,212,0-15-730930,00.html?st....
> l.txt.rev) also mentioned that the text output on plain paper left much to
> be desired.  However, elsewhere I've read that the text output is good --
> what do I believe?  I've seen the text output of the 722C and think it is
> very acceptable.  Would I be better to go with the 722C if I want better
> text output?
> Does anybody have any experience that would support or challenge these
> reviews?  Anyone?
> Thanks

Deskjet 882C's text output quality

Post by Cameron Swinto » Fri, 30 Apr 1999 04:00:00

How recently did these new cartridges come on the market?  Has anyone else
noticed a difference between these two cartridges?

- Cameron

> Having used one of the older Deskjet models (870) and one of the
> newer ones (1120), I have noticed something that might explain
> these conflicting views, at least partly.

> The black ink cartridge 51645A that performed superbly on the 870
> did not work as well with the 1120: for example, on every 2nd or
> 3rd text line the right edges of the characters were noticeably
> "saw-toothed", and those lines were to the eye somewhat darker than
> the others. The quality of text was uneven across a page.

> Then, sometime end of last year, a new model of that black cartridge
> hit the market, and gone was the "saw-toothiness": text is perfectly
> crisp and of consistent visual appearance. HP has not, however,
> confirmed my suspicion that this new cartridge is actually the first
> to work well with the newer printers.

> Both the old and new carts are marked "51645A" on the front side, but
> the new comes in differently colored package - solid blue with orange
> bubbles - and reads "51645AE ABB" on the bottom side of the package.

> Maybe this helps,
> Matti P.

Quote:> > I recently read a review of the HP Deskjet 882c

(http://www.idg.net/idg_frames/english/content.cgi?vc=docid_9-125452.html)
Quote:> > which stated that the text output of the 882c was not as with the older
> > 722c.  The CNET review

(http://www.computers.com/product/review/0,212,0-15-730930,00.html?st....

Quote:> > l.txt.rev) also mentioned that the text output on plain paper left much
> > be desired.  However, elsewhere I've read that the text output is
good --
> > what do I believe?  I've seen the text output of the 722C and think it
is
> > very acceptable.  Would I be better to go with the 722C if I want better
> > text output?
> > Does anybody have any experience that would support or challenge these
> > reviews?  Anyone?
> > Thanks

Deskjet 882C's text output quality

Post by Matti Partone » Fri, 30 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Here in Finland I saw them first sometime last December, now they seem
to be the only ones available. What model cartridges get shipped in the
printer box these days, I do not know.

Matti P.

> How recently did these new cartridges come on the market?  Has anyone
else
> noticed a difference between these two cartridges?

> - Cameron

> > Then, sometime end of last year, a new model of that black cartridge
> > hit the market, and gone was the "saw-toothiness": text is perfectly
> > crisp and of consistent visual appearance. HP has not, however,
> > confirmed my suspicion that this new cartridge is actually the first
> > to work well with the newer printers.

Deskjet 882C's text output quality

Post by DRS » Sat, 01 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> Having used one of the older Deskjet models (870) and one of the
> newer ones (1120), I have noticed something that might explain
> these conflicting views, at least partly.

> The black ink cartridge 51645A that performed superbly on the 870
> did not work as well with the 1120: for example, on every 2nd or
> 3rd text line the right edges of the characters were noticeably
> "saw-toothed", and those lines were to the eye somewhat darker than
> the others. The quality of text was uneven across a page.

I've just got my 1120C but already I've noticed how much paper influences
text quality.  Unfortunately (given the money I spent up front trying to do
the right thing), I found that my AUD7 per ream plain paper gets superb
text results while my AUD25 per ream HP Bright White paper got appalling
text with the same file.

Quote:> Then, sometime end of last year, a new model of that black cartridge
> hit the market, and gone was the "saw-toothiness": text is perfectly
> crisp and of consistent visual appearance. HP has not, however,
> confirmed my suspicion that this new cartridge is actually the first
> to work well with the newer printers.

> Both the old and new carts are marked "51645A" on the front side, but
> the new comes in differently colored package - solid blue with orange
> bubbles - and reads "51645AE ABB" on the bottom side of the package.

I'd love to know more about this 'updated' cartridge.  I saw you mention
somewhere else that they were made in Ireland, which isn't a lot of good to
someone like myself in the Asia-Pacific region, where the packaging and
probably the place of manufacture is different.

--

"Let the credulous and the vulgar continue to believe that all mental woes
can be cured by a daily application of old Greek myths to their private

Deskjet 882C's text output quality

Post by Steve Winogr » Sat, 01 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I have a 880c and the photo qualite is very good , text is also very good .
>my brother has the 722 c and between the two of them there is really no
>difference except
>mine is alot faster because i have it connected
>to the USB , but also because it has the added 2mg of memory , dont be
>fooled the added memory really makes a difference.

The 722C is a host-based printer which uses Windows (and your CPU) to
perform much of the processing needed for printing.  The 880C does its
own processing.  This is a big reason for the 880C being faster than the
722C.

Best Wishes,
Steve

Deskjet 882C's text output quality

Post by Steve Grante » Sun, 02 May 1999 04:00:00

I've never understood why it's been said that the 722C has better text
output, as they both use the same ink cartridges which come with their own
printheads. So in that case, the print quality would be dependent on the
cartridge, right? Unless the faster speed of the 880C is what causes the
decreased text quality. I know my 880C has a little fuzziness around the
letters on many papers, even on HP's own Bright White. The premium inkjet
paper results in excellent text quality however. I chose the 880C over the
720 because I didn't want a host-based printer, and liked the increased
speed. It's also got USB which I'll use once I upgrade my computer.

..::..:
Steve

Post by NoS.. » Mon, 03 May 1999 04:00:00

 I know my 880C has a little fuzziness around the

Quote:>letters on many papers, even on HP's own Bright White. The premium inkjet
>paper results in excellent text quality however

Quoting from a reply to a similar question I asked a while ago:

Quote:>I found that text quality varies a LOT based on the paper you use.
>Some papers labeled for inkjet use looked terrible (HP's Brite White
>was one of the worst).  The ink tends to bleed into the fibers, with
>the result that the edges of the letters are not sharp.  (The paper
>you described was a "bond"; it seems that I've heard cautions about
>using bond paper with an inkjet -- something about cotton fibers or
>something.)
>However with some other papers the text is excellent.  I finally
>settled on "Georgia Pacific Advantage Desktop for laser and inkjet
>printers,  24 lb, 92 bright".  Text on this paper is comparable to
>text on the HP Premium inkjet paper, though photo output is not --
>nothing short of photo paper matches HP Premium for photo output.
>Daryl

The paper is available very cheaply from CostCo and is more than worth it.  In
addition to high quality text, it works quite well for the slides my
wife prints from her medical school web pages.  Not quite as bright as the
premium paper, but  a lot cheaper (and she can write on them in pencil, which
is hard to impossible with the premium coating).

DN

Deskjet 882C's text output quality

Post by Matti Partone » Tue, 04 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I've never understood why it's been said that the 722C has better text
> output, as they both use the same ink cartridges which come with their
own
> printheads. So in that case, the print quality would be dependent on the
> cartridge, right?

Wrong. This belief (same heads/cartridge = same quality) is quite
widespread,
but nevertheless it is wrong. I pointed this out just four days ago in this
very same discussion thread.

Quote:>                   Unless the faster speed of the 880C is what causes the
> decreased text quality. I know my 880C has a little fuzziness around the
> letters on many papers, even on HP's own Bright White. The premium inkjet

A person working for HP has indicated to me in some connection that HP's
Bright White has been designed to give good results in color printing; it
is not one of the best papers for black text. In my experience, inexpensive
plain papers may work better for text. But even on a well-chosen paper,
same heads/cartridge does *not* mean same quality; the printer makes a
difference, too.

Quote:> paper results in excellent text quality however. I chose the 880C over
the
> 720 because I didn't want a host-based printer, and liked the increased
> speed. It's also got USB which I'll use once I upgrade my computer.

> ..::..:
> Steve

Matti P.

Deskjet 882C's text output quality

Post by Ken » Tue, 04 May 1999 04:00:00

Hey, be very careful about purchasing a HP DeskJet.   I have had two and
both died at 14 months old and the original cartridges still installed.
Service is lousy with a flat rate $100 charge no matter how small the
problem.   My latest to fail is a HP DeskJet 722C which I was happy with
except for the short life span.    If you are prepared to accept buying a
new one every year then go ahead and buy a Hewlett Packard.
Ken

>I recently read a review of the HP Deskjet 882c
>(http://www.idg.net/idg_frames/english/content.cgi?vc=docid_9-125452.html)
>which stated that the text output of the 882c was not as with the older
>722c.  The CNET review
>(http://www.computers.com/product/review/0,212,0-15-730930,00.html?st....
>l.txt.rev) also mentioned that the text output on plain paper left much to
>be desired.  However, elsewhere I've read that the text output is good --
>what do I believe?  I've seen the text output of the 722C and think it is
>very acceptable.  Would I be better to go with the 722C if I want better
>text output?
>Does anybody have any experience that would support or challenge these
>reviews?  Anyone?
>Thanks

>- Cameron Swinton

>to reply via email, remove the X from my address.

Deskjet 882C's text output quality

Post by DRS » Wed, 05 May 1999 04:00:00

[...]

Quote:> >I found that text quality varies a LOT based on the paper you use.
> >Some papers labeled for inkjet use looked terrible (HP's Brite White
> >was one of the worst).

I wish I'd known that before I shelled out for a ream of the stuff.  The
text quality on Bright White on my 1120C is appalling, but is damned near
laser quality on good old OfficeWorks Copy/Laser paper (which costs less
than a quarter of what the HP Bright White costs).  I've just sent a Please
Explain along with samples to HP management here in Oz.  It'll be
interesting to see what happens.

[...]

Quote:> >However with some other papers the text is excellent.  I finally
> >settled on "Georgia Pacific Advantage Desktop for laser and inkjet
> >printers,  24 lb, 92 bright".

I'll have to see if it's available locally.  Probably not.

--

"Let the credulous and the vulgar continue to believe that all mental woes
can be cured by a daily application of old Greek myths to their private
parts"
Nabokov on Freud

1. Epson Stylus Color - TEXT output quality

 Hi..
   I've recently taken a look at a lot of laser printers and inkjets
and I think my choice has come down to either a HP Laserjet 4L or
an Epson Stylus Color.  I am really satisfied with the Epson color
graphics output but I think the text leaves a lot to be desired.
I don't know if it was just a dirty print head or bad configuration
settings, but the Windows truetype fonts looked pretty grey (as opposed
to the crisp laser black) and blurred.  Considering I will be printing
a lot of text, this concerns me.
   I haven't really tried a lot of inkjets, so I have a few general
questions:

 1) How should inkjet text output compare to laser?  Where will the
difference be seen?  Ex. 360 dpi Epson Sylus vs 300 dpi Laserjet 4L
 2) Is there any way to set the darkness for the text, with the Epson
Stylus Color?  Is it possible to make it print text in two passes to make
it darker?
 3) If I am not dependent on color output, which would be advisable to
purchase: the Epson Stylus Color, or the HP Laserjet 4l? They are priced
very similarily.

Thanks.

2. Money 99 Update Quotes error

3. HP Deskjet 882C - Horizontal Lines Missing in text

4. SWMAccount

5. hp 3820: How's the Text Quality?

6. autolisp

7. ESC600: Anyone can tell of it's text quality on a plain paper?

8. Bugs in 2181 prom splitter?

9. Picolitres or dpi: what's more important to output quality..

10. What causes 'spidery' or 'ragged' text on Epson 440 ?

11. HP 882C - false ink cartridge error, can't figure out what's wrong

12. HP 882C Problem - Skewed Output