Help: Comparing HP 660C vs. HP 855C Text modes

Help: Comparing HP 660C vs. HP 855C Text modes

Post by aquama » Sat, 04 Nov 1995 04:00:00

From the posts that I've read, it seems that there is no doubt the HP
855C is the better printer when it comes to color.  But I do have a
question concerning it's text printing.  My wife found some posts on
Prodigy from a few people who claim to have compare 660C and 855C text
output side by side and they claim the 660C is clearly the better
printer.  Could anyone confirm or deny this info.  I like to buy one
of these two printers this Saturday, and the odds are I won't have the
luxury of comparing them side by side, so any help is much
appreciated.   Thank you.

I only ride my Sea-Doo on days that end in Y!!
'95 GTX

Post by David Nova » Sat, 04 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>Side by side on generic paper, I too like the text from the 660 better.
>From my understanding of dpi, I believe its the higher dpi of the 660
>that yields better text.

The 85x is a true 600x600 dpi black.  I don't recall what the dpi for
the 660 was, but it is not any higher than 600x600 dpi.

David Novak

I don't speak for HP and HP doesn't speak for me.

Help: Comparing HP 660C vs. HP 855C Text modes

Post by Warren Clar » Sat, 04 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Cody,

        I first purchased a 660C, then returned it for an 855C.  I made many
comparisons of the black text.  The 855C is clearly superior.
        Also, in Econo/fast mode, the 855C's cost per page for black text is
only a cent and a half.  The cost per page of the 660C is twice that, at
three cents per page.

Warren

Post by Brian Davids » Sat, 04 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>From the posts that I've read, it seems that there is no doubt the HP
>855C is the better printer when it comes to color.  But I do have a
>question concerning it's text printing.  My wife found some posts on
>Prodigy from a few people who claim to have compare 660C and 855C text
>output side by side and they claim the 660C is clearly the better
>printer.  Could anyone confirm or deny this info.  I like to buy one

Side by side on generic paper, I too like the text from the 660 better.
From my understanding of dpi, I believe its the higher dpi of the 660
that yields better text. dpi on the other hand is only one of many
factors that effect a color image and the 855 excells in some of the
other factors yielding a superior
color image. Also I read here (realiability unknown) that the 855 uses
a thicker or darker black ink than the 660. Not sure what this means but
since we're identifying differences its worth noting. Maybe it means
that the text on the 855 is gonna look better than the 660 when using
higher grade paper. And if it matters to you, the 855
is significantly faster and its been reported that it can be
cheaper to operate, but only comes with a 1yr (versus 3yr for the 660)
warantee.

Brian

--
my sig

Help: Comparing HP 660C vs. HP 855C Text modes

Post by Albert Wiers » Tue, 07 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I don't see any significant differences in print quality between the
two... They should be the same. The 855 is just faster. higher
capacity, and has a one meg buffer.

>From the posts that I've read, it seems that there is no doubt the HP
>855C is the better printer when it comes to color.  But I do have a
>question concerning it's text printing.  My wife found some posts on
>Prodigy from a few people who claim to have compare 660C and 855C text
>output side by side and they claim the 660C is clearly the better
>printer.  Could anyone confirm or deny this info.  I like to buy one
>of these two printers this Saturday, and the odds are I won't have the
>luxury of comparing them side by side, so any help is much
>appreciated.   Thank you.

>I only ride my Sea-Doo on days that end in Y!!
>'95 GTX

Help: Comparing HP 660C vs. HP 855C Text modes

Post by Dennis Wa » Tue, 07 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> >From the posts that I've read, it seems that there is no doubt the HP
> >855C is the better printer when it comes to color.  But I do have a
> >question concerning it's text printing.  My wife found some posts on
> >Prodigy from a few people who claim to have compare 660C and 855C text
> >output side by side and they claim the 660C is clearly the better
> >printer.  Could anyone confirm or deny this info.  I like to buy one
> >of these two printers this Saturday, and the odds are I won't have the
> >luxury of comparing them side by side, so any help is much
> >appreciated.   Thank you.

My experience confirms this. I have a 660c and and a 855c side by side.
Same paper, same file, the 660c blows the 855c away on black text.

--
     / the wall productions...........Dennis Wall

  f/  http://www.intac.com/~dwall/offthewall.html
 o/    Providing Macintosh consulting since 1986

1. HELP! HP 660C vs. 855C

Does anyone have the REAL specs on the differences between the
two models?  For example, real speed, real resolution, and real
cost/page???

I was interested in the 855C, but was suddenly turned-off when
I compared the "demo" output between the two!  The 660C's output
looks MUCH better than the 855C's!!  A possibility would be
that the 855C's default demo output is in "econofast" mode.
But, why would they do that?  To show off the speed?  But, it
takes more than 30 seconds to print it!

Any info GREATLY appreciated, as I would like to purchase
one or the other tomorrow!

Jon Deutsch

2. HELP on FUZZY OBSERVERS

3. HP 660c vs. HP 855c

4. phase 2 isakmp error (invalid_id_info)

5. HP 855c vs. HP 660c ???

6. Can 150ns chips be used in a MacII

7. HP 850c compares to HP 660c

8. Unable to load novellnp.dll

9. Best Mode Vs Normal Mode (HP DeskJet 695C)

10. HP 6L vs. HP 1100 - anybody compared them ?

11. 660C vs. 855C Quality

12. ^^HP 855c vs. 850 vs. 660^^

13. HP 855C vs HP 855Cxi