HELP please epson lx-86 + win 95

Post by veet » Fri, 19 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I needto use an old epson LX-86. I run win 95 rev B
the driver is in the win list but the printer won't answer.

when I first used win 95 it was the upgrade ver. I seem to remember
something about using the "RAW" setting... I really can't remember.

I've tried setting the spool to "raw" but it hasn't worked yet.
sugestions?
veets
feel free to e-mail me with this answer.
or is there a faq that has this info?

HELP please epson lx-86 + win 95

Post by veet » Sat, 20 Mar 1999 04:00:00

apologies if this shows up twice, but the "send" doesnt seem to be
working

I need  to use an old epson LX-86. I run win 95 rev B
the driver is in the win list but the printer won't answer.

when I first used win 95 it was the upgrade ver. I seem to remember
something about using the "RAW" setting... I really can't remember.

I've tried setting the spool to "raw" but it hasn't worked yet.
sugestions?
veets
feel free to e-mail me with this answer.
or is there a faq that has this info?
thanks in advance

HELP please epson lx-86 + win 95

Post by veet » Sat, 20 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I need  to use an old epson LX-86. I run win 95 rev B
the driver is in the win list but the printer won't answer.

when I first used win 95 it was the upgrade ver. I seem to remember
something about using the "RAW" setting... I really can't remember.

I've tried setting the spool to "raw" but it hasn't worked yet.
sugestions?
veets
feel free to e-mail me with this answer.
or is there a faq that has this info?
thanks in advance

1. help lx-86 +win 95 rev B

Bill Austin Pointed out that I had not made it clear where I am in the
test process
 Up until now I have done the following  to try to get it to work:

tried it under dos 6.22   "type test | lpt1: "    this worked

opened word6 in win 3.11 (under doss 6.22)  and used File menue
"print".     this worked

in dos rev 95  it wouldn't print from a straight dos command, but it
did    print from "edit" file menue.

in win95 rev b  it will not print.
I installed the lx-86 driver from the list of epson drivers available
in win 95  and made it the default.
1) I  set the spool to raw.
2) I  tried the "print directly to printer"  option
3) I removed the driver totally and reinstalled it. made it the
default and then tried steps 1&2
4) I removed the iomega parallel driver and repeated steps 1&2
5) I installed the generic/text dirver , made it the default and tried
again.
6) I removed the port and reinstalled it.

  the above tests were done trying the "print test page" in the driver
options.

7) I tried printing from word6
8) I turned the printer off and reset the computer several times
during all of this.
9) I read the file printers.txt in the windows directory...nothing
about epson lx-86 or any older epson

I tried an old (very old) no name 9-pin dot matrix, and it worked
under the win 95 upgrade,
with the generic driver. Could it be that there is a difference
between revB and the upgrade in this regard?
I had the epson working for a couple of years under the upgrade win
95. Then I got a new lexmark and ran both for a while with a switcher
box, then I lent lx-86  to a friend with an old 286. meanwhile I
installed revB.
now... I can't get it to talk again...
any sugestions or a direction to a suitable faq would be
appreciated.(epson hasn't replied to e-mail)

Oh I just tried to print through the text editor called "edit" in a
dos window (dos prompt icon)and it worked!

Oh god now I am confused. I really don't know enough about the way
data is sent to the printer to work it out..
I just tried the test page again from the printer's options and it
didn't work.
veets

2. Getting DecWindow size

3. EPSON LX-86 driver/Win 3.1.

4. File System Conversion

5. Need help with an old funny Epson LX-86

6. fixed point

7. Help: Epson LX-86

8. Hold Up on NEC's 3X drives ?

9. lx-86 + win95 help