Refurbished LaserJets?

Post by Alan Beagle » Sun, 09 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Although I am still trying to get our old LaserJet III working again, I
am starting to consider the possibility of buying another printer -- to
be used mainly for home and church purposes.

I think a LasrJet 2100 would do what we want, but I notice that factory
refurbished ones are available at considerable savings compared to the
price of a new one -- comparing best "street prices" for both new and
refurbished. The refurbished ones claim to come with a one-year
warranty, the same as a new one, so is there really an advantage in
buying a new one?

--
Alan

To reply directly, remove "No.Spam." from the "Reply-to" address.

This computer system uses IBM's OS/2 Operating System (Warp 4), the
choice of banks and other major corporations worldwide. Totally
unaffected by the "Melissa," "LoveBug", and similar viruses that
plague the Microsoft "Window's open; come right on in and do whatever
you want with my computer" operating system.

"I believe OS/2 is destined to be the most important operating
 system, and possibly program, of all time...." (Bill Gates, 1988)

Refurbished LaserJets?

Post by SC » Sun, 09 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Refurbished can be a very good deal. I recently bought a HP1120Cse refurbished
with one year warrenty. Not that its easy to get through to HP with the warrenty
on a new one either.

Refurbished LaserJets?

Post by will » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> Although I am still trying to get our old LaserJet III working again, I
> am starting to consider the possibility of buying another printer -- to
> be used mainly for home and church purposes.

> I think a LasrJet 2100 would do what we want, but I notice that factory
> refurbished ones are available at considerable savings compared to the
> price of a new one -- comparing best "street prices" for both new and
> refurbished. The refurbished ones claim to come with a one-year
> warranty, the same as a new one, so is there really an advantage in
> buying a new one?

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Usually, refurbed devices have a 90-day or less warranty but I've seen
better. Refurbed devices have always been around, but in these last few
years I've seen many being offered directly to the public which wasn't
always the case in at least they came from 3rd party vendors. Anyways,
these refurbed products when really done as a true refurb and not just
cleaned up are real baragains, so there. New, is desirable as it will very
likely have the latest and greatest currently installed, made or
upgradeable with the least hassle. New, you can also increase the warranty
period by getting an extended service/warranty contract as the case maybe.
New, everything is new and not jst the working parts for a refurbed device
so you really expect it to last awhile w/o some small part causing a
problem. IMHO, that's it.

good luck -----Willy

Refurbished LaserJets?

Post by Alan Beagle » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

HP themselves (on their Web page) and other vendors (I found some listed
on PriceWatch) advertise HP-refurbished LaserJets with a 12-month
warranty. But you do have a point about a brand-new one possibly being
rather more up to date -- although it's possible that a barand-new one
has been sitting in a warehouse somewhere for quite a while.