Directly connect Apple Personal Laserwriter NTR to a Win2k Pro - How?

Directly connect Apple Personal Laserwriter NTR to a Win2k Pro - How?

Post by kmichae » Sat, 03 Nov 2001 01:39:29

I am trying to directly connect an Apple Personal Laserwriter NTR to a
Windows 2000 Professional (SP2) Dell XPS through a serial cable. NO
networking of this printer involved. Appletalk protocol has been
installed on this PC.

MS HCL lists the "Apple Personal LaserWriter NTR v2010.129".

I think I have the correct cable - a standard serial cable, no null
modem funniness or anything like that. Using com port1 or LPT1, jobs
do not print at all after manually installing this printer (O/S does
not
detect printer as a P'n'P device). The printer printers a self test
after it's powered on. No reponse to a "test print" command under the
printers control panel. I see jobs spooling, then disappear, then
nothing.

There is a communication setting switch on the printer, but no luck
trying all the positions. Yes, I've seen the article at

http://karchive.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=15070

One thing I've noticed is that the self test on power up prints
something other than 6 icons with almost no information *only* when
the switch is in position 4. From the above article, that setting has
these values:

(Port Name ,Connect Type, Baud Rate, Parity, Data Bits, Stop Bits,
Flow Control, Protocol Mode):

 Din-8 Serial 1200 None 7 1 XON/XOFF - PS
 RS-232 Serial 1200 None 7 1 XON/XOFF Normal PS
 Parallel Centronic - - - - - Normal PS

any suggestions? I may be missing something basic here.

kmichaelm

k michael m at yahoo dot com

1. Connecting a Apple Personal LaserWriter NTR to Gateway PC

I've recently purchased a new Gateway PC to replace a Macintosh. I used a
Apple Personal LaserWriter NTR on the Mac. The Laserwriter was costly and
after purchasing a new PC I can't really afford a new laser printer.

1.    I connected the LaserWriter up to the PC using a standard printer
cable
2.    I installed the Apple Personal LaserWriter NTR driver supplied with
WinME
3.    I then attempted to print a test page and NOTHING HAPPENED! (The
printer lights flash a bit then nothing comes out)
4.    I fiddled around with driver settings, installed a couple of different
drivers to see if that would help, but NOPE!
5.    I experimented with the Port number on the back of the printer, but
that didn't help.
6.    I know it works as I've had one of my previous lap tops printing from
this printer.

Can any one help??

Jarrah Hands

2. Mail censorship by Outlook Express

3. Apple Personal Laserwriter NTR

4. COM Server Versions Management

5. Controlling Apple Personal LaserWriter NTR from a Sun

6. Ricoh 6200S w/PE Logic - ERRORS GALORE! Can't Record!

7. HP LJ4L vs. Apple Personal Laserwriter NTR

8. largest memory available

9. FS: Apple Personal LaserWriter NTR (for Windows and Mac) for $900

10. Problem with Apple Personal LaserWriter NTR

11. Connecting a PC to an Apple Personal Laserwriter NT

12. Connect a Apple Personal LaserWriter to PC.

13. Connecting a PC to Apple Personal LaserWriter 320