HELP: Panasonic KX-P2123 + Windows + Color

HELP: Panasonic KX-P2123 + Windows + Color

Post by Roger Theriau » Wed, 10 Mar 1993 00:50:42

I'm starting to wonder whether to just write off Panasonic products...

I'm having major problems printing in color on my Panasonic KX-P2123 printer
using the PANASONIC SUPPLIED windows 3.1 printer drivers. Almost every time
I print I end up with one of the color passes being completely mis-registered
(sometimes by an inch, sometimes more) on random passes. There seems to be
some printer or driver problem. I've tried printing from Paintbrush,
Ami Pro, and more... all give similar results. This is making my color
printing impossible...

So I called Panasonic a month or so ago. They passed me to "advanced tech
support" where somebody said he'd seen it before and since I have ROM
version A, I needed a ROM upgrade.

The chip arrived in the mail last week (rattling around in a box...) and
I installed it and re-installed the color kit for a test... the ROM
showed Version B, and my test printouts turned out identically awful.

I've already tried every Panasonic printer driver for the KX-P2123 that was
ever uploaded to a BBS or CompuServe (including both MS and Panasonic's
BBS).

So last week I called Panasonic again and was passed to either the same
person with amnesia, or a janitor filling in... he proceeded to tell me
that the other guy was wrong, there was no ROM problem, and it must be
my software. Oh, and by the way, the printer drivers are Microsoft's
responsibility! Take it to a Panasonic Service Center...   Before I had
a chance to tell this guy that I wasn't the only one with the problem,
<CLICK> he was gone.

So, if you own or use a Panasonic KX-P2123 with a color kit, and print
using Microsoft Windows 3.1, could you please e-mail (or post) the
details of your experience... does it work, and if so,  why?  I need
to collect ammunition for a third call to Panasonic...

(In the meantime, if you were planning to purchase a color dot-matrix
printer, I'd advise re-reading the above...)

thanks,

Roger
--

  /\/\otorola -=--==-==--=-    UUCP: {uw-beaver,uunet}!van-bc!mdivax1!theriaul
 /    \obile Data              CompuServe: 71332,730 (not too often)

Post by Terry Davids » Thu, 11 Mar 1993 03:06:32

|> I'm starting to wonder whether to just write off Panasonic products...
|>
|> I'm having major problems printing in color on my Panasonic KX-P2123 printer
|> using the PANASONIC SUPPLIED windows 3.1 printer drivers. Almost every time
|> I print I end up with one of the color passes being completely mis-registered
|> (sometimes by an inch, sometimes more) on random passes. There seems to be
|> some printer or driver problem. I've tried printing from Paintbrush,
|> Ami Pro, and more... all give similar results. This is making my color
|> printing impossible...
|>
|> So I called Panasonic a month or so ago. They passed me to "advanced tech
|> support" where somebody said he'd seen it before and since I have ROM
|> version A, I needed a ROM upgrade.
|>
|> The chip arrived in the mail last week (rattling around in a box...) and
|> I installed it and re-installed the color kit for a test... the ROM
|> showed Version B, and my test printouts turned out identically awful.
|>
|> I've already tried every Panasonic printer driver for the KX-P2123 that was
|> ever uploaded to a BBS or CompuServe (including both MS and Panasonic's
|> BBS).
|>
|> So last week I called Panasonic again and was passed to either the same
|> person with amnesia, or a janitor filling in... he proceeded to tell me
|> that the other guy was wrong, there was no ROM problem, and it must be
|> my software. Oh, and by the way, the printer drivers are Microsoft's
|> responsibility! Take it to a Panasonic Service Center...   Before I had
|> a chance to tell this guy that I wasn't the only one with the problem,
|> <CLICK> he was gone.
|>
|> So, if you own or use a Panasonic KX-P2123 with a color kit, and print
|> using Microsoft Windows 3.1, could you please e-mail (or post) the
|> details of your experience... does it work, and if so,  why?  I need
|> to collect ammunition for a third call to Panasonic...
|>
|> (In the meantime, if you were planning to purchase a color dot-matrix
|> printer, I'd advise re-reading the above...)

I have a Citizen GSX-230 with the color kit; no problems in or out of
Windows 3.1.  Successful prints from Arts and Letters, Ventura, and
Framemaker (for the heavies), also from Windows Paint, Write, and Word;
all in color.

NOW - the Citizen docs *did* state ribbon registration can be a problem;
i.e. the position of the ribbon may need vertical adjustment, and the
docs *do* show how to make the adjustment.

The second item the Citizen docs stated is that the print intensity level
may also need to be adjusted (via the Printer Setup menu under Windows 3.1)

Personally, I have had no gripes/bad experiences with Panasonic - YET.
See if the printer docs have anything similar to the Citizen docs.

It *did* take me about an hour to adjust everything *just* right, between
the ribbon vertical registration and the Windows printer setup.  Don't
give up yet!

Hope this helps...  Terry
|> thanks,
|>
|> Roger
|> --

|>   /\/\otorola -=--==-==--=-    UUCP: {uw-beaver,uunet}!van-bc!mdivax1!theriaul
|>  /    \obile Data        CompuServe: 71332,730 (not too often)
|> I am not a spokesman for Motorola or anyone else besides myself.

--
 # include disclaimer.lib   //* All standard disclaimers apply *//
 My wife let's me think my opinions are my own.  Bellcore doesn't care

Post by Roger Theriau » Thu, 11 Mar 1993 05:51:00

>|> I'm having major problems printing in color on my Panasonic KX-P2123 printer
>|> using the PANASONIC SUPPLIED windows 3.1 printer drivers. Almost every time
>|> I print I end up with one of the color passes being completely mis-registered
>|> (sometimes by an inch, sometimes more) on random passes. There seems to be
>|> some printer or driver problem. I've tried printing from Paintbrush,
>|> Ami Pro, and more... all give similar results. This is making my color
>|> printing impossible...
>I have a Citizen GSX-230 with the color kit; no problems in or out of
>Windows 3.1.  Successful prints from Arts and Letters, Ventura, and
>Framemaker (for the heavies), also from Windows Paint, Write, and Word;
>all in color.
>NOW - the Citizen docs *did* state ribbon registration can be a problem;
>i.e. the position of the ribbon may need vertical adjustment, and the
>docs *do* show how to make the adjustment.

Vertical adjustment isn't a problem. The problem is horizontal alignment.
Take the next 4 lines for example, each being a color pass required to
make up a mixed-color word (NB: this is just an example; of course, when
printing from Windows, everything is in bit-image mode. Same diff)
Color 1:            This is a test...   ABCDE
Color 2:            This is a test...   ABCDE
Color 3:                             This is a test...   ABCDE
Color 4:            This is a test...   ABCDE
(The printer seems to align the first pixel of the bad pass  with some
 major pixel boundary in a different pass. In the example above I tried
to duplicate it. Doesn't seem to be a mechanical problem, especially
when it comes out identically each time I print  the same document.)

Roger
--

  /\/\otorola -=--==-==--=-    UUCP: {uw-beaver,uunet}!van-bc!mdivax1!theriaul
 /    \obile Data              CompuServe: 71332,730 (not too often)
I am not a spokesman for Motorola or anyone else besides myself.

HELP: Panasonic KX-P2123 + Windows + Color

Post by Karen Cunningha » Thu, 11 Mar 1993 18:01:05

I have had similar problems with a Panasonic KX-P2124, which
is a color printer in the same family as the 2123.  I wanted to
print in color, including blue.  The other colors printed fine,
but blue didn't work.  I know from running the printer test that
blue works, just not through Windows.

I also tried Powerup's Calendar Creator for Windows, and the calendar
printed fine most of the way down the page, then the printer started
skipping lines and misaligning graphics near the bottom of the page.

I just started using Quicken 2.0 for Windows (after using the DOS
version for many years) and had problems with printing, this time
without the color attachment.  Some troubleshooting tips from Intuit
said to install an Epson printer driver and use it - this worked fine.
But I didn't buy a Panasonic and expect to need to run it an an Epson!

I obtained my Panasonic driver directly from Panasonic.  I think it
is the responsibility of the printer vendor to supply the drivers,
especially since the printer was produced after Windows 3.1 came out.
After all, if they have a product to sell, they ought to provide a
way for users to use it.  I understand why they might not want to
support every single DOS application, but Windows 3.1 is probably
the major single application today, used by many more people than
any other individual product.

Post by Bill T. Aust » Fri, 12 Mar 1993 02:23:31

> I'm starting to wonder whether to just write off Panasonic products...

> I'm having major problems printing in color on my Panasonic KX-P2123 printer
> using the PANASONIC SUPPLIED windows 3.1 printer drivers. Almost every time
> So, if you own or use a Panasonic KX-P2123 with a color kit, and print
> using Microsoft Windows 3.1, could you please e-mail (or post) the
> details of your experience... does it work, and if so,  why?  I need
> to collect ammunition for a third call to Panasonic...
> I am not a spokesman for Motorola or anyone else besides myself.

I'm not reading this message from my home site and thus I rarely read this
group.

I own an KX-P2124 w/color kit (same kit for both printers)
I have had ZERO problems with using the color features from within the
Paint applet, PageMaker, and several other minor/major programs.
I'm using a Rev.B Rom and a set of drivers which were downloaded in an
archive of 'Pan31DMP.exe'

Now, that said.. There is the matter of your printer being a 2123 vs mine
being a 2124.  There 'must' be something different enough between our
printers to account for a 25% less MTBF (likely a cheaper grade set of
drive motors, thats how most companies cheapen a model.. that would also
account for its modest difference in speed)
Never the less, the 2180/2123/2124 all share the same ribbon and color
kit combo, and likely share alot of other things as well.

The Only problem (a non-problem) occurred in Pagemaker (color or
otherwise) when I tried to print a larger than paper loaded (rear push
tractor / continuous pin) page.  This fouled up badly, but IMO this was
more my fault than the printer.. perhaps the driver should have understood
that continuous feed meant that page breaks were null importance..etc

Another interesting tidbit.  PCMagazine (FWIW) when comparing in their
9th annual printer review (about the time I bought mine btw) said the
2123 had color banding while the 2124 did not.  In which case there well
may be too much difference in our models to compare / let me help.
(Of course, they may have simply not adjusted the ribbon, and/or had panel
lock turned on with some funky line spacing set ups.)

So, I know it doesn't make you feel any better.. but don't put down the
entire panasonic color printer line.  I've told many people to buy a 2124
and every one that has done so has been very happy.. as am I.
My advice, if this is still an option for you.  Send your 2123 back as a
lemon (it might well have some other problem, a borderline buffer, flawed
motherboard..etc) and get another (newer production run) 2123, or trade up
to the 2124 for a few bucks more.
If you get desparate and want to try and replicate my driver situation
that I have.. Send Email and I'll give you a bbs number where you can
download the exact file that I did.
If returning the printer is not an option (Contact your BBB and complain)
and particularly considering you aren't happy.. the 2123 is a new enough
model to fetch a decent used-price.  (either remove the color kit and sell
it to some other 2180/2123/2124 owner, or warn up front the 'limitations'
[real or imposed by buggy drivers/software] of using the kit)
The color kit itself (if not overly used) has a decent used market.  The
Ribbon (color) sells for $18[ish] new, if its not too beat up (i.e. not
too much black text printed with it.. got to keep those color ribbons in a
semi-equal wear pattern)  You might recover part of your $50ish kit price
if nothing else.[B

Good Luck, and I hope you get satisfaction.  I personally love my printer
for its price/performance (btw.. if you need a push, the 2124 has a few
extra LQ fonts)

 This is from

who doesn't have his (or her) own obnoxious signature yet

1. HELP: Panasonic KX-P2123 + Windows + Color

I looks like I may have this problem licked (I hope!). With ROM version B
in my KX-P2123, and by removing all existing drivers for that printer and then
installing a KX-P2123 printer driver version 1.1 (which I downloaded from
CompuServe), my printer appears to be printing color properly. At least
the documents which had problems before don't anymore...
Oddly enough, this driver seems to be the same version as the one I just
replaced, which I downloaded from Panasonic's BBS. However, the CompuServe
driver appears to have been placed there recently. If you have a CompuServe
membership and want the driver, GO CLUB (+). It's in the Panasonic library.
If you are really desperate, e-mail me and I can e-mail the driver (zipped
and uuencoded) to you. I would bet that you need ROM version B in your printer.
(Interestingly enough, I received my new ROM a few weeks ago, version B, but
the next day, at a local store, saw a KX-P2123 with version C in it! Hmmm.)

Of course, the jury's still out, but we'll see how this performs...

--

  /\/\otorola -=--==-==--=-    UUCP: {uw-beaver,uunet}!van-bc!mdivax1!theriaul
 /    \obile Data              CompuServe: 71332,730 (not too often)
I am not a spokesman for Motorola or anyone else besides myself.

2. The ANSI <string> library

3. Help with Panasonic KX-P2123 color please!

4. SearchNotWorking-SunServer

5. Panasonic KX-P2123 Color Help!

6. SHARE's OS/2 Technical Seminar

7. Panasonic KX-P2123 and Windows 3.1

8. Hardware snapshot for program protection

9. Does anybody have problems using a Panasonic KX-P2123 with Windows 95 version 4.00B

10. color kit for panasonic kx-p2123

11. Which color printer? Panasonic KX-P2123, HP500C

12. Need Driver for Panasonic KX-P2123 Color Printer