Epson Stylus PRO/IIvs Canon BJC-610

Post by Einar Bergsmo Gilbe » Sat, 17 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I have previously posted a letter on this topic, and recieved some
opinions on the subject. However, it's some time ago, and maybe there
are some more and/or different opinions out there by now. I shall buy
a new printer very soon, and don't want to go for the second-best. My
main concern is the quality of the printing. Currently, I'm heading
for the Canon because of the smart 4 different colour-patrons.

Anyone who has some opinions on this subject ; the best inkjet, please
post to this newgroup and/or send me an e-mail.

Thanks in advance,

Einar B. Gilberg

Post by Bill Babaki » Sun, 25 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>I have previously posted a letter on this topic, and recieved some
>opinions on the subject. However, it's some time ago, and maybe there
>are some more and/or different opinions out there by now. I shall buy
>a new printer very soon, and don't want to go for the second-best. My
>main concern is the quality of the printing. Currently, I'm heading
>for the Canon because of the smart 4 different colour-patrons.
>Anyone who has some opinions on this subject ; the best inkjet, please
>post to this newgroup and/or send me an e-mail.
>Thanks in advance,
>Einar B. Gilberg

It depends on what you're most interested in.  I own a Canon BJC-600.
I'm very happy with it, but my criteria is primarily economy of use
and speed.  With 4 separate ink cartridges its very economical.  Print
quality is good for 300x300 and I use this printer a lot often
printing out 100 copies at a time of graphics.

I'm now interested in printing out photographs.  In this area the
Epson Stylus Pro has the canon beat hands down.  Its 720x720 printing
is probably the best for all ink jets.  But it's slow -- 35 to 40
minutes for an 8x10 page at 720 and it's more expensive, having just 2
ink cartridges and needing glossy paper for the best printing.  I'm
considering getting the Epson just to do photographs.

Post by Einar Bergsmo Gilbe » Mon, 26 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>It depends on what you're most interested in.  I own a Canon BJC-600.
>I'm very happy with it, but my criteria is primarily economy of use
>and speed.  With 4 separate ink cartridges its very economical.  Print
>quality is good for 300x300 and I use this printer a lot often
>printing out 100 copies at a time of graphics.

I am talking about the Canon BJC-610, not the BJC-600. The BJC-610
also prints with 720x720 resolution :)

Post by Louis Jaf » Thu, 29 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>I'm now interested in printing out photographs.  In this area the
>Epson Stylus Pro has the canon beat hands down.  Its 720x720 printing
>is probably the best for all ink jets.  But it's slow -- 35 to 40
>minutes for an 8x10 page at 720 and it's more expensive, having just 2
>ink cartridges and needing glossy paper for the best printing.  I'm
>considering getting the Epson just to do photographs.

I have this printer, and get quicker times than that.  Print time varies
greatly depending on the density of the image file being sent to the
printer.  I did extensive tests of input files ranging from 100 to 720
DPI, and found that 180 DPI yields quite acceptable quality.  Although
there are small gains in image quality with input DPI higher than 180,
the law of diminishing returns definitely applies.  240 DPI input looks
a tiny bit better, 300 DPI looks a tiny bit better yet.  But these gains
are at the cost of enormously bigger files, and slower print times.

Note: All these tests were with the printer in 720 DPI mode, and coated
paper.  The point is that the printer output is dithered, so the true
printed image resolution is not 720 DPI.  The only exception to this is
if you have a 1-bit input file that doesn't require color mixing, or if
you're running type and linework from the Postscript driver.  For ordinary
image files, 180 DPI is adequate. LJ

1. EPSON Stylus Pro vs. Canon BJC-610 which is better, need Info !

Hi ! I need a new printer and I'm not sure, whether I should buy
the EPSON Stylus Pro or the Canon BJC-610.

What I need is a printer, that

- has separate b/w and color cartridges

- can print black using the black cartridge even when printing
  color pictures

- is well supported by ghostscript 3.51, because I'll need to run
  the printer on a FreeBSD system, as well, using my fine printer
  filter apsfilter, which does automatic file type detection and
  conversion. So I want to make a color PS printer out of it using
  gs the PS Emulator ;-))

- is supported by Win95 and Windows NT 3.5.1 or comes with drivers
  for that OS's

- is not so expensive when operating (color consumption)

- can print high resolution (720x720) on normal paper

- has an internal power supply, that can really be turned off

- can be upgraded with an Ethernet Interface (low demand, just a
  funny option).

- is mechanically robust and reliable

- hasn't the problem, that the cartridges dry out, if you don't
  use the printer every day. It should be no problem to let the
  printer turned off for 3 weeks.

- has a fast parallel interface (bi-directional).

Hope you can give me some informations ... thanks a lot.

        Andreas ///

--

pgp p-key  http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~bal/pks-toplev.html  >>> powered by <<<
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/Printing/aps-491.tgz  >>>    FreeBSD <<<

2. SolidWorks as a Freeform Surface Modelling System

3. What's the best inkjet: Canon BJC-610 or Epson Stylus Colour II / PRO

4. FLASHBACK

5. Canon BJC-610 vs. Epson Stylus Color Pro

6. VS.NET: Out of Date, Would You like to build them?

7. How much are Epson Stylus Pro /Canon BJC-610 in the U.S. ?

8. Setting hook for Dll procedures?

9. Help Canon 610;Epson Stylus II; Epson stylus Pro WHAT CHOICE!?

10. Epson Stylus Color vs. Epson Stylus Color II vs. Canon BJC 610

11. 360 dpi printing on BJC-610, Stylus Pro

12. Epson stylus II vs. Canon BJC-610 HELP!!!

13. HP 855C or Epson Stylus Color II or Canon BJC-610