Good printer between US$120 and US$150?

Post by Raymond Chuan » Mon, 23 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Folks,

Unfortunately, it appears my HP DeskJet 660Cse is on its last legs. ;_;

Any suggestions for a good printer in the US$120 to US$150 range? I'm trying
to decide between an Epson Stylus 860, Canon BJC-6000, and a few others.

--
Raymond Chuang
Mountain View, CA USA

Good printer between US$120 and US$150?

Post by bskversk » Mon, 23 Oct 2000 04:00:00

I can speak for the Epson 860, I have one. In my opinion it's a great
printer. It's fast & the color is great. I buy the Epson cartridges at Sam's
club. Their $38.98 for a two pack. That's for black & color. I saw the
printer last night at CompUSA for $129 & there's a $50 rebate from Epson.

Quote:> Folks,

> Unfortunately, it appears my HP DeskJet 660Cse is on its last legs. ;_;

> Any suggestions for a good printer in the US$120 to US$150 range? I'm
trying
> to decide between an Epson Stylus 860, Canon BJC-6000, and a few others.

> --
> Raymond Chuang
> Mountain View, CA USA

Good printer between US$120 and US$150?

Post by tangogolfsierr » Mon, 23 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Raymond,

The Canon 6000 is just about gone.  Most retailers have sold out.  The
new BJC-3000 would be a better choice under Canon.  Also, the Lexmark

choice, but if you print normal or heavy amounts, the 842 will cost you
much more in ink than other HPs.  Epson has their new 777s and 888s out
now.  They claim 2880x720 dpi.  The 777 is $99, and I forget what the
888 is; it may be $199.

> Folks,

> Unfortunately, it appears my HP DeskJet 660Cse is on its last legs. ;_;

> Any suggestions for a good printer in the US$120 to US$150 range? I'm trying
> to decide between an Epson Stylus 860, Canon BJC-6000, and a few others.

> --
> Raymond Chuang
> Mountain View, CA USA

Good printer between US$120 and US$150?

Post by Raymond Chuan » Mon, 23 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> The Canon 6000 is just about gone.  Most retailers have sold out.  The
> new BJC-3000 would be a better choice under Canon.  Also, the Lexmark

> choice, but if you print normal or heavy amounts, the 842 will cost you
> much more in ink than other HPs.  Epson has their new 777s and 888s out
> now.  They claim 2880x720 dpi.  The 777 is $99, and I forget what the
> 888 is; it may be $199.

Okay, scratch the Canon BJC-6000. :-(

But how good is the Canon BJC-3000? Does it have the same print quality as
the BJC-6000? And how good is the Epson Stylus COLOR 777? Does it print
high-quality prints at a reasonable price? And how much will it cost to
replace the ink cartridges on the Stylus COLOR 777? (I ask this because the
ink cartridges on the DeskJet 660Cse cost about US$27.50 to replace.)

--
Raymond Chuang
Mountain View, CA USA

Good printer between US$120 and US$150?

Post by David Chie » Sat, 28 Oct 2000 04:27:36

Canon S450 is one good printer we've been getting by the handful over
here.
If the shipper doesn't Samsonite it (ie.damage it during shipping like
some have been), then it'll spit out web pages and text documents like a
mad man - it's really fast and you'll easily get 4ppm+. (awesome!, beats
the old HP laserjet it was replacing)

Naturally, graphics and photos will slow it down to the usual multiple
minutes per page all inkjet printers do, but because it has big
individual ink tanks, you'll be able to print dozens and dozens of full
color pages and still not empty them.

I was happily suprised by the perofrmance of this $130ish printer
(www.shopper.com) due to the fast output speed and huge ink tanks.

It's not the best in photo quality output, not the most durable, not the
best in all fields, but it does a damn good job for a toss away printer
that has a 1 yr. warranty.

--

Other pluses?  It has a photo cartridge you can put in for smoother
photo prints, and you can drop in a scanner head and turn it into a

--

Big advantage over Epson?  Replaceable nozzles means if they clog or get
damaged, you just drop in a new one.  Epson heads are fixed so you have

Big advantage over HP?  Seperate ink tanks = no more wasting the other
colors when one runs out.  HP = throw away the entire all-colors-in-one
cart. when one color runs dry.

--

USB and parallel port connections work fine out of the box, and setup is
easy and trouble-free.

--

We've run HPs and EPsons here as well, but for general printing, the
Canon, IMO, is the better buy because I've seen the Epson nozzles clog

(Yes, the Lexmark Z52 is about as fast, but they don't have individual
ink tanks or the scan head option; and Lexmark inkjets were know to
mis-feed paper horribly in the past.)

----------

final notes:
1) return the printer in exchange for anohter immediately if there's
anything wrong.  usually, it's DOA during shipping that kills it.
2) follow the quick setup guide to the letter!  do it out of order or do
anything ahead of the next and you can goof up the printer as well.
Luckily, you don't need to do it but the very first time you have it out
of the box.
3) get a steady table to put it on.  the printer is so fast at text
output, the head just whizzes back and forth shooting out paper by the
handful - naturally, a weak table will rock back and forth along with
it.
   Still, it is nice to know that even if you use 2/4-up or poster
printing options in the printer control panel, the printer still chugs
out pages quickly (other printers slow down a lot if you try to do
something fancy like that).
4) www.shopper.com, www.dealcatcher.com, www.dealnews.com,
www.fatwallet.org for the lowest prices, coupons, rebates and free
shipping deals.