Macintosh snubbed by color inkjet manufacturers?

Macintosh snubbed by color inkjet manufacturers?

Post by David Dru » Sun, 25 May 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

Having lurked on this newsgroup for a while, I have the impression that
the Macintosh has been snubbed by Epson, HP, and Lexmark with respect
to driver software for their color inkjets.

If your desire is to followup to this post and tell me that "Macs suck!",
please take ten deep breaths and move on to another thread.

My intention is to support whichever manufacturer is still supporting
Macintosh.  If you are using a Macintosh with the HP 870 (?), Epson 800,
or Lexmark 7000, could you please relate your experiences getting them
to work together.

I appreciate the time you will spend on this.

Regards,

David K. Drum

--
"That man has a rare gift for obfuscation." -- ST:DS9 * "It's hard to
be bored when you're as stupid as a line." -- Vernor Vinge * "Reality

Macintosh snubbed by color inkjet manufacturers?

Post by r.. » Sun, 25 May 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,

>Having lurked on this newsgroup for a while, I have the impression that
>the Macintosh has been snubbed by Epson, HP, and Lexmark with respect
>to driver software for their color inkjets.

>If your desire is to followup to this post and tell me that "Macs suck!",
>please take ten deep breaths and move on to another thread.

>My intention is to support whichever manufacturer is still supporting
>Macintosh.  If you are using a Macintosh with the HP 870 (?), Epson 800,
>or Lexmark 7000, could you please relate your experiences getting them
>to work together.

If you dont use winDOS it is tough to get manufacturer support.
If you do use winDOS you will get plenty of manufacturer support, but
it will be tough trying to keep your OS from crashing all of the time.
So take your pick on what tough task you want.

####################################
Why wait till 1998 or ........ maybe 1999 for M$ to
release it's newest Ancient technology from the 80's
when you can run What Bill Gates said was the platform
of the 90's "OS/2"
####################################

Post by Pete Cockere » Tue, 27 May 1997 04:00:00

> Hi,

> Having lurked on this newsgroup for a while, I have the impression that
> the Macintosh has been snubbed by Epson, HP, and Lexmark with respect
> to driver software for their color inkjets.

> If your desire is to followup to this post and tell me that "Macs suck!",
> please take ten deep breaths and move on to another thread.

> My intention is to support whichever manufacturer is still supporting
> Macintosh.  If you are using a Macintosh with the HP 870 (?), Epson 800,
> or Lexmark 7000, could you please relate your experiences getting them
> to work together.

> I appreciate the time you will spend on this.

I get the impression that Epson still supports the Mac pretty well. ALPS
seems to as well. HP's support has been somewhat compromised by the OEM
agreement with Apple, and an HP person has said that the PhotoSmart won't
necessarily appear in a Mac form. There have been photos published of
other Apple-badged HP printers, but who knows when Apple will get them
out? Canon still supports the Mac. Lexmark doesn't.

That's how it looks from here, anyway.

Cheers,
Pete

--
Please remove the 'the.' from my address before replying.

Post by Robert J. Nila » Wed, 28 May 1997 04:00:00

: Having lurked on this newsgroup for a while, I have the impression that
: the Macintosh has been snubbed by Epson, HP, and Lexmark with respect
: to driver software for their color inkjets.

Well, OS/2, Lunix and DOS are getting "snubbed" as well.

However, Mac has an additional problem (in addition to the normal
problem of not being the * OS): as far as I know, Mac not only
demands OS-specific drivers, but also still essentially demands that
hardcopy devices speak only PostScript or QuickDraw, and do so via
a Mac-specific LocalTalk or expensive LAN connection.

That means the device vendor has to provide not just a Mac driver, but
Mac-specific firmware and Mac-specific I/O hardware in the printer.
Nowadays, that amounts to a serious "barrier to entry".

It is long past time for Mac to accomodate other page description
languages and physical interfaces.

Regards,                                            1001-A East Harmony Road
Bob Niland                                          Suite 503

Unless otherwise specifically stated,               Colorado     80525   USA
expressing personal opinions and NOT
speaking for any employer, client or
Internet Service Provider.

Post by Ladd Mor » Wed, 28 May 1997 04:00:00

> > Hi,

> > Having lurked on this newsgroup for a while, I have the impression that
> > the Macintosh has been snubbed by Epson, HP, and Lexmark with respect
> > to driver software for their color inkjets.

> > If your desire is to followup to this post and tell me that "Macs suck!",
> > please take ten deep breaths and move on to another thread.

> > My intention is to support whichever manufacturer is still supporting
> > Macintosh.  If you are using a Macintosh with the HP 870 (?), Epson 800,
> > or Lexmark 7000, could you please relate your experiences getting them
> > to work together.

I have a PowerMac 8500/180 running System 7.6. I use an ESC 800 and it
runs just fine. I haven't had any of the problems that seem to have
cropped up for a few of the other folks.....

Macintosh snubbed by color inkjet manufacturers?

Post by Sean Tud » Wed, 28 May 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Having lurked on this newsgroup for a while, I have the impression that
>the Macintosh has been snubbed by Epson, HP, and Lexmark with respect
>to driver software for their color inkjets.
>If your desire is to followup to this post and tell me that "Macs suck!",
>please take ten deep breaths and move on to another thread.
>My intention is to support whichever manufacturer is still supporting
>Macintosh.  If you are using a Macintosh with the HP 870 (?), Epson 800,
>or Lexmark 7000, could you please relate your experiences getting them
>to work together.

The simple answer here is what the market wants.  Granted there are
*many* existing Mac users but new Mac sales are falling off
drastically.  Printer manufacturers are in the business of making
money and unfortunately the Apple Mac is heading the exact same way
that OS/2, Amiga, and other niche market products have gone.

Post by Michael Fitzwate » Wed, 28 May 1997 04:00:00

> Well, OS/2, Lunix and DOS are getting "snubbed" as well.

> However, Mac has an additional problem (in addition to the normal
> problem of not being the * OS): as far as I know, Mac not only
> demands OS-specific drivers, but also still essentially demands that
> hardcopy devices speak only PostScript or QuickDraw, and do so via
> a Mac-specific LocalTalk or expensive LAN connection.

> That means the device vendor has to provide not just a Mac driver, but
> Mac-specific firmware and Mac-specific I/O hardware in the printer.
> Nowadays, that amounts to a serious "barrier to entry".

> It is long past time for Mac to accomodate other page description
> languages and physical interfaces.

Just a little correction.  Printers built for Macs do not need LocalTalk
or LAN compability.  My Epson 500 is a serial printer that isn't even
compatible with LocalTalk, AppleTalk or LAN.

Michael Fitzwater.

"Those who hear not the music, think the dancers mad."

Post by Rod Smi » Thu, 29 May 1997 04:00:00

>: Having lurked on this newsgroup for a while, I have the impression that
>: the Macintosh has been snubbed by Epson, HP, and Lexmark with respect
>: to driver software for their color inkjets.

>Well, OS/2, Lunix and DOS are getting "snubbed" as well.

>However, Mac has an additional problem (in addition to the normal
>problem of not being the * OS): as far as I know, Mac not only
>demands OS-specific drivers, but also still essentially demands that
>hardcopy devices speak only PostScript or QuickDraw, and do so via
>a Mac-specific LocalTalk or expensive LAN connection.

The "QuickDraw" requirement *IS* a driver requirement.  There's
absolutely nothing in the MacOS that requires special firmware on the
printer end of things, and in fact companies like GDT Softworks have been
producing Mac drivers that will work with ESC/P (Epson dot-matrix),
ESC/P2 (Epson inkjet), PCL (HP laserjet and inkjet), and assorted other
printer types for years.  I've even seen freeware or shareware products to
drive HP DeskJets and Epson dot-matrix printers on the Mac.

The physical connection problem is more serious, but isn't as bad as you
seem to think -- a Mac can talk to just about any printer that has a
serial interface.  That's how Apple has connected many of its printers
(such as at least the earlier Apple inkjets and dot matrix models).  Most
printers intended for the PC market don't have serial interfaces, but some
do (I think that's how the Epson Stylus Color 600 can work with both a Mac
and a PC, though I'm not positive of that).  For those that don't, it's
possible to buy a serial->parallel converter cable, and in fact these come
bundled with at least some driver packages.

Quote:>That means the device vendor has to provide not just a Mac driver, but
>Mac-specific firmware and Mac-specific I/O hardware in the printer.
>Nowadays, that amounts to a serious "barrier to entry".

The Mac is at a disadvantage because of its lack of parallel ports, but on
the software side, it is, in principle, no worse off than OS/2, Linux, or
other non-* PC OSes.  As to ACTUAL driver availability, though, I
don't know precisely what's available for the Mac or how good it is.  Four
years ago, GDT SoftWorks was doing a good job of keeping up with the
marketplace, and I used their products with my Mac LC quite happily.
Since then I've moved to OS/2 and Linux and haven't kept up with GDT's
products, though.

From the printer manufacturer's perspective, the main issues are the cost
of a serial port and the cost of writing a Mac driver.  There are no
proprietary hardware or firmware obstacles to be overcome, but the
non-proprietary obstacles are serious enough.

--
Rod Smith                                 Author of:

http://www.veryComputer.com/~rodsmith          "OS/2 Soundcard Summary"
NOTE: Remove "uceprotect" from address to e-mail me

Macintosh snubbed by color inkjet manufacturers?

Post by Jeff » Thu, 29 May 1997 04:00:00

Not really. HP has a deal with Apple to produce printers under the Apple
name. Thus, for certain catagories of printer covered by the agmnt, there
will be no HP Mac versions. Over time (Apple runs on its own clock, as we
all know), Apple will release it's versions of the HP printers in
question. Virtually all other manufacturers release Mac versions of
graphics-oriented printers because of the enormous installed Mac base.

Macintosh snubbed by color inkjet manufacturers?

Post by sjad.. » Thu, 29 May 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> >Hi,

> >Having lurked on this newsgroup for a while, I have the impression that
> >the Macintosh has been snubbed by Epson, HP, and Lexmark with respect
> >to driver software for their color inkjets.

    It's my impression that these manufacturers do make drivers available.  If
you haven't seen Mac printers mentioned much here, it's partly due to Mac
printers being easier to use.  Hence, nobody places requests for help.

Post by Michael Fitzwate » Thu, 29 May 1997 04:00:00

> The simple answer here is what the market wants.  Granted there are
> *many* existing Mac users but new Mac sales are falling off
> drastically.  Printer manufacturers are in the business of making
> money and unfortunately the Apple Mac is heading the exact same way
> that OS/2, Amiga, and other niche market products have gone.

Get your facts straiaght please.

Yes, Apple's sales have gone down some (due partly to a $400 million
backlog in orders).  But the overall sales of Mac OS based systems,
Apple and the clone vendors, is up over 9% so far this year.

The Mac OS is far from dead.  It's still alive and kicking.

Have a nice day on your 'plug and pray' wintel machine.  :)

Post by Jukka Heikkine » Thu, 29 May 1997 04:00:00

> > > Hi,

> > > Having lurked on this newsgroup for a while, I have the impression that
> > > the Macintosh has been snubbed by Epson, HP, and Lexmark with respect
> > > to driver software for their color inkjets.

> > > If your desire is to followup to this post and tell me that "Macs suck!",
> > > please take ten deep breaths and move on to another thread.

> > > My intention is to support whichever manufacturer is still supporting
> > > Macintosh.  If you are using a Macintosh with the HP 870 (?), Epson 800,
> > > or Lexmark 7000, could you please relate your experiences getting them
> > > to work together.

> I have a PowerMac 8500/180 running System 7.6. I use an ESC 800 and it
> runs just fine. I haven't had any of the problems that seem to have
> cropped up for a few of the other folks.....

Hi, about Mac and HP 870 Cx.
I have a couple of them at work connected to Macs. They SUCK Repeat,
S U C K. First, they need an appletalk cable (two "matchboxes" and a
cable between them, costs like hell) And they run like a snail on
tranquilizers. They work just fine with PC:s, so there cannot be much
wrong with them as inkjets. (These days I buy lasers, no more inkjets
at work, thank you very much.) So there can be hardly any other explanation
than crappy drivers for Mac. And the kind people at the Finnish HP could
not help even when I called them and asked if they do know what to do
with them.

Regards, Jukka

Post by Linda Reynold » Fri, 30 May 1997 04:00:00

> The simple answer here is what the market wants.  Granted there are
> *many* existing Mac users but new Mac sales are falling off
> drastically.  Printer manufacturers are in the business of making
> money and unfortunately the Apple Mac is heading the exact same way
> that OS/2, Amiga, and other niche market products have gone.

It is not true that the Mac market is currently shrinking nor that Mac
sales have fallen off. Only the Apple portion of Macintosh sales has
dropped. With the addition of the Mac clone vendors, Mac sales have
increased quite a bit of late, as has the market share.

Post by Ed Bennet » Sat, 31 May 1997 04:00:00

> Get your facts straiaght please.

> Yes, Apple's sales have gone down some (due partly to a $400 million
> backlog in orders).  But the overall sales of Mac OS based systems,
> Apple and the clone vendors, is up over 9% so far this year.

> The Mac OS is far from dead.  It's still alive and kicking.

> Have a nice day on your 'plug and pray' wintel machine.  :)

Well, even though sales have been up over 9% from last year it still
only accounts for about 0.1% of the entire desktop market (minor
hyperbole, do not flame).

The bottom line is that Postscript printers with AppleTalk interfaces
are never going to be cheap and you will never sell them in the
millions.  When you talk about these color inkjet printers, you're
talking about product volumes of almost a million per month.  When you
design them for the "plug and pray wintel machine" using the parallel
port and the GDI printing system you end up with a very low cost product
and guaranteed sales volumes.  You could call it a "Win-ning"
combination!

--
Ed Bennett
ejb at host primenet.com

Due to overwhelming spam email, you must
edit my "reply to" email address in order
to send me email.  My user name is ejb and
my hostname is primenet.com

Post by Marc Full » Wed, 04 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>Hi, about Mac and HP 870 Cx.
>I have a couple of them at work connected to Macs. They SUCK Repeat,
>S U C K. First, they need an appletalk cable (two "matchboxes" and a
>cable between them, costs like hell) And they run like a snail on
>tranquilizers. They work just fine with PC:s, so there cannot be much
>wrong with them as inkjets. (These days I buy lasers, no more inkjets
>at work, thank you very much.) So there can be hardly any other explanation
>than crappy drivers for Mac. And the kind people at the Finnish HP could
>not help even when I called them and asked if they do know what to do
>with them.

>Regards, Jukka

I have an HP 855 hooked up to a Powerwave 132 and it works just as
fast as when it was connected to a PC. Also I use a standard Mac
serial printer cable without any problem. I don't know what the
problem is with the above fellows configuration but on a modern Mac
the serial port runs just as fast  as Appletalk and the drivers for
the HP 8xx work fine.
Marc S. Fuller
CVRTI, University of Utah

1. ALL INKJET PRINTER MANUFACTURERS WAKE UP CALL

Obviously, You haven't done your homework on Laser printer color cartridges;
assuming that measly inkjet carts are your main gripe.  Large capacity black
inkjet carts. are *not* expensive; it's the color you get screwed on; And of
course, everyone wants color.
Price the cartridges, 3, +1 black, for a Lexmark Optra 1200 model.  Yes, it
produces beautiful prints; inkjets don't compare.
But as for your "I  WOULD GLADLY PAY MORE
How does remanufactured black cartridge at $82 grab ya?
Not to mention the $119 Each! for the cyan, magenta, and yellow!
Think $39 is a lot to replace your inkjet color cart?
Try $370 +, (that will buy you a years worth of inkjets) and I can tell you
from experience; We use one of, if not the largest, remanu carts. around for
our HP lasers, and you get the *bad* cartridges; more often than you will
ever experience on inkjets.
So before your next rant, stop, think.
BTW, you did fill your car with gasoline at least once this week, right?
TomC

2. multia boot-up

3. Inkjets - alternative v manufacturer inks.

4. How to view gif files?

5. Color LJ manufacturer preference

6. News from DevCon

7. COLOR LASERJET 8500 & MACINTOSH QUESTION..

8. Printer setup - Pagelenght

9. FA: HP DeskWriter 540 Color Printer for Macintosh (Early Mac Compatibility)

10. FA: Hewlett Packard DeskWriter 560C COLOR Printer for Macintosh w/cable/power and drivers

11. New EPSON Stylus Color 800 driver released for Macintosh.

12. Epson Stylus Color printer--PostScript SW on Macintosh??