Does anybody have problems using a Panasonic KX-P2123 with Windows 95 version 4.00B

Does anybody have problems using a Panasonic KX-P2123 with Windows 95 version 4.00B

Post by Chris Jackso » Sun, 07 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Ever since February, two months after we got a Cyrix 686 P-150+ computer,
my Panasonic KX-P2123 has been acting very erratically.  For example,
sometimes it will work fine on Windows WordPad and not on Microsoft Works
word processor.  To clarify the problem, I can't get it to print Draft or
Letter Quality.  I tried over the next 4 months or so I reinstalling the
driver over and over again, and every time I printed a text page it would
work, but when I wanted to print something in Draft or Letter Quality it
starts to print and then stalls.  A message comes up saying "A timeout
error occurred.  To increase the timeout settings for your printer. open
the Printers folder, click the icon for your printer, click the File menu,
and then click Properties.  To continue printing, click retry.  Windows
will automatically retry after 5 seconds."

I have done this on a number of occasions and it never works. I have been
in touch with a variety of computer stores, including the one where we
bought it. I've tried everything they've suggested and it still doesn't
work.   I did get a little help from a computer solving firm, resulting in
downloading a driver for a Panasonic KX-P2180, which worked for a while,
but this past July, it conked out.

I am using Windows 95 version 4.00B, if anybody else who has this version
and the same printer as I is having the same problems as I and has solved
them, please let me know!!

Christopher Jackson

Does anybody have problems using a Panasonic KX-P2123 with Windows 95 version 4.00B

Post by Harvey Fishm » Sun, 07 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> Ever since February, two months after we got a Cyrix 686 P-150+ computer,
> my Panasonic KX-P2123 has been acting very erratically.  For example,
> sometimes it will work fine on Windows WordPad and not on Microsoft Works
> word processor.  To clarify the problem, I can't get it to print Draft or
> Letter Quality.  I tried over the next 4 months or so I reinstalling the
> driver over and over again, and every time I printed a text page it would
> work, but when I wanted to print something in Draft or Letter Quality it
> starts to print and then stalls.  A message comes up saying "A timeout
> error occurred.  To increase the timeout settings for your printer. open
> the Printers folder, click the icon for your printer, click the File menu,
> and then click Properties.  To continue printing, click retry.  Windows
> will automatically retry after 5 seconds."

> I have done this on a number of occasions and it never works. I have been
> in touch with a variety of computer stores, including the one where we
> bought it. I've tried everything they've suggested and it still doesn't
> work.   I did get a little help from a computer solving firm, resulting in
> downloading a driver for a Panasonic KX-P2180, which worked for a while,
> but this past July, it conked out.

> I am using Windows 95 version 4.00B, if anybody else who has this version
> and the same printer as I is having the same problems as I and has solved
> them, please let me know!!

It sounds like you have the printer port embedded in your new system board
set to the WRONG characteristics.  With the planar BIOS setup utility, set
the port to a plain vanilla AT port rather than anything more complex such
as an EPP port, an ECP port, or even a bidirectional port.  Since you are
using W95, perhaps this setting must be made from there rather than with
the planar BIOS setup; I am not familiar with W95 since I use NT.

Harvey

 Harvey Fishman   |

  718-258-7276    |

Does anybody have problems using a Panasonic KX-P2123 with Windows 95 version 4.00B

Post by Chris Westergar » Thu, 11 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I have the same printer and had the same porblem. I reinstalled like crazy
with nothing corrected. I then followed Harvey Fisherman's advice (a
thousand thanks!) and reset my printer port to "normal" via my BIOS utility
setup. The problem appears corrected.

        Christian Westergard

Quote:> Ever since February, two months after we got a Cyrix 686 P-150+ computer,
> my Panasonic KX-P2123 has been acting very erratically.  For example,
> sometimes it will work fine on Windows WordPad and not on Microsoft Works
> word processor.  To clarify the problem, I can't get it to print Draft or
> Letter Quality.  I tried over the next 4 months or so I reinstalling the
> driver over and over again, and every time I printed a text page it would
> work, but when I wanted to print something in Draft or Letter Quality it
> starts to print and then stalls.  A message comes up saying "A timeout
> error occurred.  To increase the timeout settings for your printer. open
> the Printers folder, click the icon for your printer, click the File
menu,
> and then click Properties.  To continue printing, click retry.  Windows
> will automatically retry after 5 seconds."

> I have done this on a number of occasions and it never works. I have been
> in touch with a variety of computer stores, including the one where we
> bought it. I've tried everything they've suggested and it still doesn't
> work.   I did get a little help from a computer solving firm, resulting
in
> downloading a driver for a Panasonic KX-P2180, which worked for a while,
> but this past July, it conked out.

> I am using Windows 95 version 4.00B, if anybody else who has this version
> and the same printer as I is having the same problems as I and has solved
> them, please let me know!!

> Christopher Jackson

1. HELP: Panasonic KX-P2123 + Windows + Color

I'm starting to wonder whether to just write off Panasonic products...

I'm having major problems printing in color on my Panasonic KX-P2123 printer
using the PANASONIC SUPPLIED windows 3.1 printer drivers. Almost every time
I print I end up with one of the color passes being completely mis-registered
(sometimes by an inch, sometimes more) on random passes. There seems to be
some printer or driver problem. I've tried printing from Paintbrush,
Ami Pro, and more... all give similar results. This is making my color
printing impossible...

So I called Panasonic a month or so ago. They passed me to "advanced tech
support" where somebody said he'd seen it before and since I have ROM
version A, I needed a ROM upgrade.

The chip arrived in the mail last week (rattling around in a box...) and
I installed it and re-installed the color kit for a test... the ROM
showed Version B, and my test printouts turned out identically awful.

I've already tried every Panasonic printer driver for the KX-P2123 that was
ever uploaded to a BBS or CompuServe (including both MS and Panasonic's
BBS).

So last week I called Panasonic again and was passed to either the same
person with amnesia, or a janitor filling in... he proceeded to tell me
that the other guy was wrong, there was no ROM problem, and it must be
my software. Oh, and by the way, the printer drivers are Microsoft's
responsibility! Take it to a Panasonic Service Center...   Before I had
a chance to tell this guy that I wasn't the only one with the problem,
<CLICK> he was gone.

So, if you own or use a Panasonic KX-P2123 with a color kit, and print
using Microsoft Windows 3.1, could you please e-mail (or post) the
details of your experience... does it work, and if so,  why?  I need
to collect ammunition for a third call to Panasonic...

(In the meantime, if you were planning to purchase a color dot-matrix
printer, I'd advise re-reading the above...)

thanks,

Roger
--

  /\/\otorola -=--==-==--=-    UUCP: {uw-beaver,uunet}!van-bc!mdivax1!theriaul
 /    \obile Data              CompuServe: 71332,730 (not too often)

2. Wanted Tseng ET300 drivers for OS2 2.1 GA

3. a open-source 2D CAD program in pure Java

4. Panasonic KX-P2123 and Windows 3.1

5. 1.3 archive python DAT on an amiga

6. Color Problem w/ Panasonic KX-P2123....

7. Axiom's FileFixer Update

8. Help: Problem with Panasonic KX-P2123

9. Panasonic KX-P2123 problem

10. panasonic KX-P2123

11. Panasonic KX-P2123 broken