Printing stops while scanning

Post by derek. » Sat, 05 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Why can I not print and scan at the same time ? When I try , the printer
stops while the scanner is going ; sometimes the printer loses part of a
line before continuing .

The printer is on LPT1 , IRQ7 and
the scanner is on LPT2 , IRQ12 (I put in an ISA parallel port card).

This happened under Windows 95 and now also under W98 , and also with both
my old Epson dot-matrix and my new Lexmark inkjet .

What is ECP and would it help if I could make one/both of the ports ECP
ports ?

(Incidentally I can print separately to both printers at the same time if I
put one on each port .)

Thanks in advance , Derek.E

Printing stops while scanning

Post by Richard Wintje » Tue, 08 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Scanning is a CPU and I/O intensive operation, more so if the driver is
doing filtering as it scans. Even worse if the port is set to SPP.
Parallel port scanners I'm familiar with prefer EPP mode. Some printers
like EPP, some ECP. You'll have to consult your manuals. Your system
will definitely perform better in the enhanced port modes.

> Why can I not print and scan at the same time ? When I try , the printer
> stops while the scanner is going ; sometimes the printer loses part of a
> line before continuing .

> The printer is on LPT1 , IRQ7 and
> the scanner is on LPT2 , IRQ12 (I put in an ISA parallel port card).

> This happened under Windows 95 and now also under W98 , and also with both
> my old Epson dot-matrix and my new Lexmark inkjet .

> What is ECP and would it help if I could make one/both of the ports ECP
> ports ?

> (Incidentally I can print separately to both printers at the same time if I
> put one on each port .)

> Thanks in advance , Derek.E

Printing stops while scanning

Post by Ji » Thu, 17 Feb 2000 04:00:00

        Hi Derek

Quote:>Why can I not print and scan at the same time ? When I try , the printer
>stops while the scanner is going ; sometimes the printer loses part of a
>line before continuing .

>The printer is on LPT1 , IRQ7 and
>the scanner is on LPT2 , IRQ12 (I put in an ISA parallel port card).

>This happened under Windows 95 and now also under W98 , and also with both
>my old Epson dot-matrix and my new Lexmark inkjet .

>What is ECP and would it help if I could make one/both of the ports ECP
>ports ?

>(Incidentally I can print separately to both printers at the same time if I
>put one on each port .)

>Thanks in advance , Derek.E

In my experience  with a scanner and a printer on the same parallel
port (printer on the scanner pass through port) what you are asking
can't be done on a single parallel port, scan and print at the same
time, due to the nature of the parallel port "beast".  If you must
scan and print simultaneously the you need to buy and install  an
extra parallel port card, if you don't wish to do that settle for
waiting for one or the other to finish it's job first.
        regards
Jim
Skyline Design & Country Music
The Pilgrim Fathers, Plymouth
www.skyline78.freeserve.co.uk

Post by m.. » Fri, 18 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> Why can I not print and scan at the same time ? When I try , the printer
> stops while the scanner is going ; sometimes the printer loses part of a
> line before continuing .
> The printer is on LPT1 , IRQ7 and
> the scanner is on LPT2 , IRQ12 (I put in an ISA parallel port card).

Both printing and scanning are very I/O (and consequently, CPU)
intensive operations.   Read the docs for best port settings,
usually, scanners are happiest with EPP, printers can vary all
over the place, but if they support either EPP or ECP use that.