All-in-One HP OfficeJet R80 (or R60,R40) with Linux

All-in-One HP OfficeJet R80 (or R60,R40) with Linux

Post by Vladimir Rainis » Wed, 15 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Have somebody used one of those printers under Linux ?
What's about printing/scanning quality ?

Thanks

Post by crai » Wed, 15 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> Have somebody used one of those printers under Linux ?
> What's about printing/scanning quality ?

  under Linux, printing to the R[864]0 is limited to DeskJet 660C
compatibility via ghostscript (far from what it's capable of,
particular for photo mode) and scanning requires a newer JetDirect EX
print server and is somewhat limited in capabilities. you have access
to all the scan modes and resolutions, but not the image analysis and
OCR capabilities of the scanning software.

 craig - not speaking for my employer, Hewlett Packard Co.

All-in-One HP OfficeJet R80 (or R60,R40) with Linux

Post by Vladimir Rainis » Wed, 15 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi Craig !

Thanks for that clarification. What, on your opinion,
would be the best all-in-one from HP to work under Linux
especially in terms of printing qualities (scan is less critical) ?

Regards, Vladimir

> > Have somebody used one of those printers under Linux ?
> > What's about printing/scanning quality ?

>   under Linux, printing to the R[864]0 is limited to DeskJet 660C
> compatibility via ghostscript (far from what it's capable of,
> particular for photo mode) and scanning requires a newer JetDirect EX
> print server and is somewhat limited in capabilities. you have access
> to all the scan modes and resolutions, but not the image analysis and
> OCR capabilities of the scanning software.

>  craig - not speaking for my employer, Hewlett Packard Co.

1. All-in-One HP OfficeJet R80 (or R60,R40) with Linux

Craig,

Are yousure a JetDirect EX print server will work for hooking an OfficeJet
(1170c) to a linux box. I'm mainly interested in scanning ability since I
already have printing working.

I read someplace else (http://www.ns.net/~paschal/sane/) that the 170X, 300X, &
500X are supported but it did not mention the EX print server...  I just wanted
to double check and see how sure you are about this....

If you get a chance please drop me a note, I'd really apprecaite it...

Cheers,

  -Dave

 > Have somebody used one of those printers under Linux ?
 > What's about printing/scanning quality ?

   under Linux, printing to the R[864]0 is limited to DeskJet 660C compatibility
via ghostscript
 (far from what it's capable of,
 particular for photo mode) and scanning requires a newer JetDirect EX print
server and is somewhat
 limited in capabilities. you have access to all the scan modes and resolutions,
but not the image
 analysis and OCR capabilities of the scanning software.

 craig - not speaking for my employer, Hewlett Packard Co.

   * SUCCESSOPHIBIA: The fear that if one is successful, then one's
     personal needs will be forgotten and one will no longer have one's
     childish needs catered to.
             Dave Schmitz            RT-SET Broadcast Graphics

             Ph: 303.465.1556x120    Fax: 303.465.2012

2. Problems with USB kit

3. Windows XP software for the HP all-in-one OfficeJet G85

4. spamassassin / procmail Possibly off topic

5. HP OfficeJets (all-in-one machines)

6. MAKE $$$ BY FAX

7. Problem sharing HP OfficeJet 710 ( all-in-one )

8. Exchange problem

9. HP OfficeJets (all-in-one machin

10. HP Officejet R40 hangs computer

11. False Paper Jam on HP OfficeJet R40

12. HP OfficeJet R40/45 - equivalent to which individual components?

13. Print BLACK IN ONLY in HP OfficeJet R40