alright, which is the best one dammit!?! ;-)

alright, which is the best one dammit!?! ;-)

Post by underm.. » Sat, 25 Aug 2001 14:15:06

        I spent about 8 hours online today researching
cheap inkjets. The sites sorta contradict each other and
I came to conclusions about 7 times only to find out something
new that swayed me... I've got it down to HP, Canon, Epson
or Lexmark. I want to spend less than 150us and I want a
printer that will last forever and never need extra ink... Well,
you get the point. I had settled on the HP 842c but it seems
like nothing but trouble in this newsgroup... anything good
to say about it? Any thoughts would be muchly appreciated...
thanks. bob. also thinking about canon s600, lex z?? and
epson 880 or? help.

alright, which is the best one dammit!?! ;-)

Post by Rober » Sat, 25 Aug 2001 14:34:59

Depends on what you need and what you most important concern is.

Mine was high-quality true-color photograph production. My prints are
displayed, sold, and used for commercial posters. Canon failed miserably and
I had quality issues with the others as well. They all looked like inkjet
prints and not very much like a photograph. Epson, on the other hand,
knocked me out and continues to. I'll use nothing else unless someone can
prove to me otherwise.

If your printing color clipart or a wallet photo of your cousin to send to
your aunt so she can look at it and then trash it, go with any of the
printers. But if you want true photograph quality go Epson.

But don't take my or other's word for it. See for yourself. Find people with
different printers or get cooperation from a retailer by bringing in your
laptop. Take a B&W file and a color file and then print them on each of the
printers. See for yourself.

-Robert

> I spent about 8 hours online today researching
> cheap inkjets. The sites sorta contradict each other and
> I came to conclusions about 7 times only to find out something
> new that swayed me... I've got it down to HP, Canon, Epson
> or Lexmark. I want to spend less than 150us and I want a
> printer that will last forever and never need extra ink... Well,
> you get the point. I had settled on the HP 842c but it seems
> like nothing but trouble in this newsgroup... anything good
> to say about it? Any thoughts would be muchly appreciated...
> thanks. bob. also thinking about canon s600, lex z?? and
> epson 880 or? help.

alright, which is the best one dammit!?! ;-)

Post by 3ftmodelma » Sat, 25 Aug 2001 14:39:52

just bought the Epson 980 because

1. have seen no bad reports in this group
2. built for business so assumed "may" be more robust and last longer
3. recommended by another user
4. Good price

now that I have got it, it does seem a very nice printer, fast and produces
superb colour.

IMHO
Don

> I spent about 8 hours online today researching
> cheap inkjets. The sites sorta contradict each other and
> I came to conclusions about 7 times only to find out something
> new that swayed me... I've got it down to HP, Canon, Epson
> or Lexmark. I want to spend less than 150us and I want a
> printer that will last forever and never need extra ink... Well,
> you get the point. I had settled on the HP 842c but it seems
> like nothing but trouble in this newsgroup... anything good
> to say about it? Any thoughts would be muchly appreciated...
> thanks. bob. also thinking about canon s600, lex z?? and
> epson 880 or? help.

alright, which is the best one dammit!?! ;-)

Post by underm.. » Sat, 25 Aug 2001 23:10:53

Thanks for the replies. I guess we're looking first for a
quality text printer because my gf is starting grad school.
Definitely on a budget so we're looking for a cheap
printer and this replacement ink issue seems to be a
hassle so we're looking for a good pennies per page
ratio. Photo quality would be nice for playing around,
but it is definitely not a priority. Good warrantee? Something
that will last at least 2 or 3 years without having to rush
to the printer hospital? any more thoughts? We thought
about a laser, but i've seen text from a couple of the
cheapest models, Brothers I think, and it looked quite
crappy. Thanks again. Bob.

alright, which is the best one dammit!?! ;-)

Post by Tony » Sat, 25 Aug 2001 23:53:35

I can only give you the collated results of several 1,000 users - and we may
be biased in that we sell the jetTec compatible cartridges for Epson. That's
the ILRS chip reset and it definitely delivers superior quality. With Epson
you can save on ink prices ( we ship mainly to the UK Europe, USA, and Oz)
whereas with HP etc you are somewhat hamstrung and get a new head with each
cartridge - hence the abortive prices. The Epson head can gum up with little
use (say a few weeks left idle) so bear in mind that Windolene (USA Windex)
or any ammonia based fluid acts as the solution to free them.
Other than that most opinion indicates the Epson is a far superior print and
longevity.
JetTec are on site as below...
Tony

--
The New JetTec inkjet cartridges for Epson and chips
680/790/1270/2000P with the new ILRS ink level computer

> I spent about 8 hours online today researching
> cheap inkjets. The sites sorta contradict each other and
> I came to conclusions about 7 times only to find out something
> new that swayed me... I've got it down to HP, Canon, Epson
> or Lexmark.

alright, which is the best one dammit!?! ;-)

Post by Betsy Dietric » Sun, 26 Aug 2001 09:08:52

Since this newsgroup is about printers, not just inkjet printers, may I
suggest that you consider a refurb HP-III (built like a tank) with
enhanced 300 dpi output, plenty good enough for text and cheap refills
abound.  Also, I have an Epson Actionlaser 1500 with HP-III emulation
whose refilled carts cost about US$65 and last me 18 months of HEAVY
text printing (~6,000 pp.+).

Last year I paid $199 for an HP 932C colour injet to produce low cost,
colour flyers for a friend. The printer only screwed up feeding paper
three times and those were my fault.  OEM ink is expensive and my
refills for colour only average 50 percent success.  Black ink refills
with pigment ink (that is more permanent) has been very satisfactory.  I
have run about 2,500 two-sided high-qaulity colour prints through this
slow-but-reliable printer.  I see them advertised new for as low as
US$117.

My next printer probably is going to be a tabloid-sized Epson 1200
inkjet, but that in no way is to suggest that a sturdy laser or the low
(equipment) (high ink) cost HP do not have a place in my increasingly
cluttered office.

Cheers,
kds

PS-- I borrowed my Orchid-Lady friends computer, so please to do confuse
her with replies.

Post by Mop-B » Sun, 26 Aug 2001 13:54:53

>    I spent about 8 hours online today researching
>cheap inkjets. The sites sorta contradict each other and
>I came to conclusions about 7 times only to find out something
>new that swayed me... I've got it down to HP, Canon, Epson
>or Lexmark. I want to spend less than 150us and I want a
>printer that will last forever and never need extra ink... Well,
>you get the point. I had settled on the HP 842c but it seems
>like nothing but trouble in this newsgroup... anything good
>to say about it? Any thoughts would be muchly appreciated...
>thanks. bob. also thinking about canon s600, lex z?? and
>epson 880 or? help.

On the Epson side, the 880 is you best all-round printer. Sharp text
printing, quiet, fast, and keen photos as well. IMO Epson's most
economical, and practical printer they have.

~~

Mop-Boy

"If you can't be with the one you love...love the one you're with."

alright, which is the best one dammit!?! ;-)

Post by David Chie » Thu, 30 Aug 2001 07:02:11

Quote:> >         I spent about 8 hours online today researching
> > cheap inkjets. The sites sorta contradict each other and
> > I came to conclusions about 7 times only to find out something
> > new that swayed me... I've got it down to HP, Canon, Epson
> > or Lexmark. I want to spend less than 150us and I want a
> > printer that will last forever and never need extra ink... Well,

1) for longer lasting cartridges, forget the Epsons.  Honestly, while their
780 6-color photo printers are among the best photo printers out there, and
their other printers quite good, their cartridges last about 1/2 as long as
Canon or HP cartridges in terms of pages printed per cartridge.

2) For cheap, stunningly fast, and works forever w/o any problems, I suggest
looking at the Canon S450 first ($50 Fry's Electronics or $75 Canon website
refurbished; $85+ www.shopper.com online stores), then the Canon S600
second.

eg. the S450 prints 5ppm black text, the S600 does 6ppm.  Nothing else out
there except the Epson 9xx series of inkjets will print faster -- all other
inkjet printers, even those $500-1000+ HP office inkjets will print slower
in real life (www.cnet.com benchmarks).

Why pay more for a printer that is slower?  eg. a 50 page document will take
only 10 minutes on the 5ppm S450, but on a slower 2ppm printer, that's a
long wait of almost 1/2 hour!

3) Optional 6-color photo cartidge option on the S450, and optional scanner
head option on both S450 and S600 lets you turn the printer into a great
photo printer and/or a great sheet-fed scanner.

4) The handful of S450's we've got here at work run through reams of paper
per month (500 pages per ream) for months and months w/o any problems at all
thus far.  Unless you just happen to match our output quantity, I'd say
reliable enough.

5) quick and easy as peach pie setup and installs for the S450s here over
both USB and parallel port connections.  Prints quick over both connections,
too.

6) flatter paper feed vs. ugly 180 degree U-feed on HPs means fewer paper
jams when feeding thicker card stocks, some of which can't even be fed
through the HPs.

7) canon has the cheapest cartridges by far at $8-10 for each color vs. the
Epson or HP or Lexmarks.  Also, individual ink tanks vs. others' all-in-one
designs means no wasting inks at all when only one color runs out (yep, the
other brands make you throw away unused ink!).

8) replaceable ink nozzles are seperate from the ink cartridges so you can
replace them if they ever get clogged beyond repair, and keeps cartridge
costs down cheap.

9) when shopping, buy online, use a price search engine, coupons & rebates,
buy out of state to avoid sales taxes, use a free cash back rewards credit
card to get the most for your money.

www.shopper.com
www.dealcatcher.com
www.fatwallet.com/forums/
www.silverace.com/smartpig/

d =)_

1. Prob: PC/Mac Connection: Am I the only one?

Hello,

PC/ Mac Connection (remember the "Friendly Raccoon" logo) has been a
vendor of my company (on and off) for over 10 years. Nothing but
glowing comments for these people-UNTIL yesterday.

"When you absolutely must have it the next day......" call until 2 am
ET for Next Day delivery. I had a very critical deadline and needed a
color printer-ASAP. My salesperson, Laurie, promised delivery before
noon via Airborne Express  (quote-"We ship Everything Overnight? for
next day delivery!"). I told her more than once the how critical this
delivery was. She assured me and I felt comfortable with that. A call
to Airborne confirmed that "they" guaranteed delivery before noon the
next day. I hoped I might get lucky and receive at ~10am, as in the
past.

Tracking the package through PC Con. and Airborne, things were running

late. Printer arrived at ~12:20 pm. Not too bad-but late just the
same.

A call to customer service at PC Con., the gentleman offered to meet
me half way-credit the Visa $13.10. Not good enough. A business should

be built on sound principles. A supervisor would get back with me.
This guy (supervisor) was not a Pro at customer service-NO credit
whatsoever.
That's final. He would have a talk with his employee.

Another call to Airborne to confirm policy. They had absolutely no
prob crediting the account. Very congenial with sound principles. But
PC Con would have to credit my account.

Sorry for the length of this post. But, I'm Upset. I relied on PC Con,

based on past experience, and feel let Down. They made adjustments in
the past to keep me a Happy Customer. I make adjustments to my Happy
Customers.

Thanks for your Time,
Let me hear from you,

James

2. Service Pack Results/Questions

3. Epson 1440 dpi: I can't believe my eyes ;-)

4. Can't Undo PasteSpecial Macro

5. New HP3820 4800 X 1200 driver works with 9XX series ;-)

6. WANTED: PERSON WITH SUN3 X11R5 BINARIES

7. Abusing a Canon 8200.... ;-)

8. Sealth 2000 Freeze

9. THIS WEEKS GOOD DEAL ;-)

10. HP 932, 832, 882- which one is best- including refilling?

11. Whats the Best All-In-One inkjet?

12. Small workgroup laser printer : wich one is the best ?

13. Minolta 1100 or Epson 5800 : wich one is the best ?