Epson 1270: too much ink on paper!

Post by John Marshal » Sun, 06 May 2001 03:17:48

Hi,

I'm trying lots of different paper: actually I've been looking for
postcard thickness glossy so I've ended up with a big stock from lots of
different manufacturers.

Favourite is TDK Pro 264gsm glossy.  On the first tests I could see wet
ink on the surface which went very ugly after 5 minutes.  In "custom" I
reduced the saturation as far as it would go and since then the results
have been brilliant.  The image really sits under the surface; like the
picture and the paper were built together!

Anyway, one picture today came out wet again.  How can I get less ink on
the paper?

thanks,
--
John Marshall                        Cornwall

Epson 1270: too much ink on paper!

Post by odie » Sun, 06 May 2001 03:37:09

try lowering the dpi setting to use less ink. Epson printers are notorious
for being choosy on what paper you use. they work well with Epson photo
stock, and most regular ink jet paper, but i havent found a photo 3rd party
paper that works as well. anyone have suggestions?

-Andres

Post by Nai-Chi L » Sun, 06 May 2001 05:38:36

>try lowering the dpi setting to use less ink. Epson printers are notorious
>for being choosy on what paper you use. they work well with Epson photo
>stock, and most regular ink jet paper, but i havent found a photo 3rd party
>paper that works as well. anyone have suggestions?

You are right that most of those generic 3rd-party photo papers do not work
well with Epson photo printers.  However, I tested a few which worked just
as good as Epson papers on my Epson 1270.  For examples: the Signolit SI91
Premium Photo Paper and the Tetenal SpectraJet 264 (equivalent to the
Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper).

You can see my test results of those and many other papers at:
  http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=14403&a=779457&f=0

The bad news is that all the good 3rd-party photo paper are even more
expensive than Epson papers.
--
Nai-Chi

Epson 1270: too much ink on paper!

Post by Doug Ston » Wed, 09 May 2001 01:23:10

Quote:

> Favourite is TDK Pro 264gsm glossy.  On the first tests I could see wet
> ink on the surface which went very ugly after 5 minutes.  In "custom" I
> reduced the saturation as far as it would go and since then the results
> have been brilliant.

Reducing saturation is not the right answer. Reducing
overall ink volume is.  Saturation has to do with the mixture
of various inks, not the total volume.

Crudely, you can achieve this by "lightening" the image,
doable by the most pedestrian of image printing software.

You can also do it by modifying "dot gain", the settings
for the printer itself, or knocking down the darkest end
of "curves" in Photoshop.

I've found that for some papers, a little reduction can
go a long ways.  What seemed a hopeless case was
addressed by moving the high end of Photoshop curves
from 100% down to 93%.

1. epson 1270 good ink-bad ink

just started to refill my epson 1270 and had bought ink from MIS inks and
about the third refill on the color side it started to clog the light red
nozzle. cleaned it and cleaned it but couldnt get it to work again. luckily
it was still under warranty and epson was quick to replace, but im sorta
skiddish about putting just any old ink in it now.

if there is any body who knows for sure and has really put a specific
company's ink to the real test of perhaps maybe ten or more refills than
could you please hook me up with whoever it is you buy your ink from.
any knowledge of this would be greatfully appreciated..
mike

2. ATT v.32bis for $299?

3. (Epson 1270/870) A suggestion for EPSON to deal with owners of the 1270/870

4. The Next Casiopeia

5. Epson archival paper OK with Epson 1270 printer?

6. FreeVMS 0.0.39

7. (EPSON 1270/870) Legal Options for redress of the 1270/870/875DC issue

8. MPC860 RTOS recommendation?

9. what paper with epson 1270?

10. Epson 1270 print samples on Signolit papers

11. Roll Paper Holder for Epson 1270

12. Paper Roll with Epson 1270

13. ???Any Online Source for Epson Premium 8.5x11 Paper for 870/1270???