localization of powerplant apps

Post by Frank Vynck » Fri, 23 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I am just starting a localization effort for a PowerPlant based application.
Does anybody have good hints on how to perform the localisation ?

Derez seems not to be a usable way when using PP ...

Frank
_______________________f_r_a_n_k___v_y_n_c_k_e__________________
"Trust the computer industry to shorten 'Year 2000' to Y2K. It was
 this kind of thinking that caused the problem in the first place."

localization of powerplant apps

Post by Serge KAMEN » Fri, 23 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi,

> I am just starting a localization effort for a PowerPlant based
application.
> Does anybody have good hints on how to perform the localisation ?

> Derez seems not to be a usable way when using PP ...

> Frank

Have a look at http://www.powerglot.com

Serge

Post by Gregory D » Fri, 23 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> > Hi,

> > I am just starting a localization effort for a PowerPlant based
> application.
> > Does anybody have good hints on how to perform the localisation ?

> > Derez seems not to be a usable way when using PP ...

> > Frank

> Have a look at http://www.powerglot.com

I agree that powerglot is an excellent tool.

However, you can use Derez with PP. There is a file called PowerPlant.r in
the "PowerPlant Resources" folder that contains Rez descriptions for
(almost) all the PowerPlant Pane classes and custom resources.

And the "PP Rez Example" project shows how to add and use Rez definitions
for your custom Pane classes.

-- Greg Dow

Post by David Phillip Ost » Fri, 23 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>Derez seems not to be a usable way when using PP ...

DeRez is perfectly usable with PowerPlant. You just have to set an
appropriate prefix file in the Rez panel of the project preferences, on
that includes PowerPlant.r, plus any user defined types in a .ir file,
then set up the file mappings so that a .ppob file is mapped toi Rez. This
enables the built-in DeRez in Metrowerks Codewarrior. Remember to undo the
above when you're done deRezing.

Once you've deRezed, you can write short text processing program that
replaces literal strings by symbols, and writes a second file of
#define kokS "OK"
for each of those literal strings. Pass that #define file to your
translators, and you are most of the way there.

1. Localization of PowerPlant App

We have an application that runs on MacOS9 that we developed using CW 7. The
application consists solely of a dialog box with a tabbed interface. Each of
the tabs has various pieces of information that we display for the user, one
of the tabs has items that the user can modify (the only text-entry items
are for numbers only).

We have been asked to localize this application to the following languages:
Chinese (simplified & traditional), French, German, Italian, Japanese,
Spanish, and Portuguese.

Is there a documented process for how to go about doing this? Is it possible
to keep a single set of source code that will support all of these
languages, or will we be better off (or required) to branch the tree for
each locale? I did some web searching and I found a tool called PowerGlot -
but the last time it was updated was in 1998. Is it usable with CW 7 apps,
and if so, is it useful?

Thanks for the help.

-Chris

2. Source to Simple Audio App Needed

3. Localization, PowerPlant, PPOBs & DeRez <?>

4. What is....

5. Powerplant classes in Non-powerplant App...

6. What is a chord keyboard? (is there a FAQ here?)

7. Native Cocoa-Java App and native Windows app vs standard Java App

8. dfsa

9. Mac localization help???

10. PowerGlot 1.0.4 Localization Tool available

11. WANTED: TRANSLATION/LOCALIZATION TO JAPANESE

12. localization support in CW 8 for OS-X

13. Localization using Constructor