Two Important Beginner Questions!

Post by Carlin E. Wiegn » Sun, 09 Apr 1995 04:00:00

I just got CW5 Gold Academic.....

I have 130 megs free on my drive but the installation would quit after 5
megs installed saying there was not enough room. I've tried a variety of
installation packages and only the system additions will install.

Now, next I'm having a problem running any of the example programs and I
believe this is because I didn't copy the files correctly from the CD. I
get:

illegal precompilied header version

on the line of an example that says

// Hello.c

which obviously should work. I have tried 3 or 4 examples and written a
quick program of my own and it always says illegal precompilied header
version no matter what the first line. So,

Two Questions:
1) I would like to use the installer to install the software. Any ideas?
2) I assume I have a preference that is not set correctly. Any ideas?

Thanx guys....
cw

--
Carlin "CTow" Wiegner

Talk and NetPhone Services available at quark.stanford.edu

Two Important Beginner Questions!

Post by Ed Watke » Mon, 10 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> I just got CW5 Gold Academic.....

> I have 130 megs free on my drive but the installation would quit after 5
> megs installed saying there was not enough room. I've tried a variety of
> installation packages and only the system additions will install.

I can't help you with this problem, but...

Quote:> Now, next I'm having a problem running any of the example programs and I
> believe this is because I didn't copy the files correctly from the CD. I
> get:

> illegal precompilied header version

> on the line of an example that says

> // Hello.c

> which obviously should work. I have tried 3 or 4 examples and written a
> quick program of my own and it always says illegal precompilied header
> version no matter what the first line. So,

If you go to the language pane of the preferences dialog, you'll see a
textbox for a prefix file. The file listed there is probably
MacHeaders68K. This is a precompiled header file. CodeWarrior will give
the error you mentioned if there's something wrong with the file. You need
to recompile it. An easy way to do this is add the MacHeaders.pch file to
your project. It is located within the MacHeaders folder which is within
the Metrowerks C/C++ folder.

Ed

--
Ed Watkeys                                        Icognitive Systems
Publishing Director                                     215/387-7240

Two Important Beginner Questions!

Post by Carlin E. Wiegn » Mon, 10 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>If you go to the language pane of the preferences dialog, you'll see a
>textbox for a prefix file. The file listed there is probably
>MacHeaders68K. This is a precompiled header file. CodeWarrior will give
>the error you mentioned if there's something wrong with the file. You need
>to recompile it. An easy way to do this is add the MacHeaders.pch file to
>your project. It is located within the MacHeaders folder which is within
>the Metrowerks C/C++ folder.

ok...Well, that fixed one problem (I understand what your solution fixed).
Although, some of the examples don't work, most do! (kinda  disapointing).

My other question is what is dinstant.com hard ethernet address.
distant.com is not in the Stanford DNS.
Anyone?
cw

thans again for the help....

--
Carlin "CTow" Wiegner

Talk and NetPhone Services available at quark.stanford.edu

Two Important Beginner Questions!

Post by Avi Rappopo » Tue, 11 Apr 1995 04:00:00

) I just got CW5 Gold Academic.....
)
) I have 130 megs free on my drive but the installation would quit after 5
) megs installed saying there was not enough room. I've tried a variety of
) installation packages and only the system additions will install.

The installer program has a problem with RAMDoubler.  You could try
restarting with most of your INITs off (except your CD driver), and
installing again.  We will document this in the release notes folder on
the next CD.

) Now, next I'm having a problem running any of the example programs and I
) believe this is because I didn't copy the files correctly from the CD. I
) get:
)
) illegal precompilied header version
)
) on the line of an example that says
)
) // Hello.c
)
) which obviously should work. I have tried 3 or 4 examples and written a
) quick program of my own and it always says illegal precompilied header
) version no matter what the first line.

As said in another reply, open the MacHeaders68K project, select the file,
and choose "Precompile" from the Project menu.  That will always update
your precompiled headers.

--
Avi Rappoport
metrowerks User Advocate & Documentation Lead

Post by John C. Da » Tue, 11 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> I just got CW5 Gold Academic.....

> I have 130 megs free on my drive but the installation would quit after 5
> megs installed saying there was not enough room. I've tried a variety of
> installation packages and only the system additions will install.

Well, skip the installer...i'm not 100% sure how the CW5 installer works
(still haven't gotten mine in the mail, but it's on it's way), but
if it's like the CW4 installer, it's probably just a stuffit self
extracting archive.

if such is the case, just copy the needed files over from Cd to your
hard drive:  the compilers, the de*s, the examples you want, the
system extensions, the docs, the extras, etc.

that might help to just "install them by hand".

good luck!

--

Graduate Student & TA        | WWW: http://www.veryComputer.com/~jcd7106/
Speech Communication Dept.   | "When ignorance reigns, life is lost."

Two Important Beginner Questions!

Post by MW R » Tue, 11 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I have 130 megs free on my drive but the installation would quit after 5
>megs installed saying there was not enough room. I've tried a variety of
>installation packages and only the system additions will install.

You probably have RamDoubler or some other conflict with the aladdin
installer.  Try booting up with all the extensions off this should allow
you to fully install CodeWarrior.   All examples should work be sure you
use the proper compiler  ( PPC  or  68k  ) for the examples.
  let me know if this does not work correctly for you.

   METROWERKS               Ron Liechty

1. Important OS X questions for MetroWerks

Hi all

I have a few questions that are becoming increasingly important for
CodeWarrior advocates as OS X becomes tangible.

1) When will CW be able to link/produce Mach-o files?

2) When will CW have a professional Objective-C compiler/environment to
   compete with (& hopefully beat) Project Builder, as opposed to the
   example/toy 68k version in 6.0 that lacks several essential features.

3) Will the above compiler/environment (assumed to be coming) be able to
   produce X-platform output?

Thanks in advance

Mike

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

     _/_/_/     _/_/_/     _/_/_/    ACS Consultancy
   _/    _/   _/     _/  _/
  _/_/_/_/   _/           _/_/_/     Information Sciences for Industry
 _/    _/    _/                _/
_/    _/      _/_/_/     _/_/_/      Telephone/Fax: 01732~463519 (UK)

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

     `All models are wrong, but some are useful' - George Box

2. dual-port ram

3. A Beginner concludes CW5 is not for beginners

4. CFP: AI, Simulation and Planning in High Autonomy Systems 1992

5. Constructor: Two Basic Questions

6. digitized manuals, crazy or stupid?

7. Two Quick C++ Questions

8. PMAG-BA graphics card in 5000/240