Debugger conflicts with extensions???

Post by Dan Podwa » Thu, 16 Feb 1995 22:32:08

> Does anyone have any clues what extensions cause problems with the CW
> de* for PPC Pascal?  (probably for the others, too, but I'm using PPC
> Pascal right now)

RamDoubler is one. If that's not the one causing your problem, why don't
you tell us which ones you have?

Dan Podwall
Metrowerks, Inc.

Post by Bill the C » Sat, 18 Feb 1995 06:07:38

> >Does anyone have any clues what extensions cause problems with the CW
> >de* for PPC Pascal?

> RamDoubler conflicts with Apples DebugServices for PPC
>  I don't know of any others but there might be others.

>    METROWERKS               Ron Liechty

I'm not using RamDoubler.  Oh no... sounds like I have to go through the
painful and tedious process of restarting and restarting and restarting and
restarting until I figure out which of my 6,000,000 extensions is causing
this.  Ack!!!

Bill Catambay
Pascal Programmer on Macintosh and Open VMS

              />
             //   The purpose of software engineering
     (//////[O]>=========================================-
             \\    is to manage complexity, not to create it.
              \>

Post by Bill the C » Sun, 19 Feb 1995 01:03:30

> > > Does anyone have any clues what extensions cause problems with the CW
> > > de* for PPC Pascal?  (probably for the others, too, but I'm using PPC
> > > Pascal right now)

> > RamDoubler is one. If that's not the one causing your problem, why don't
> > you tell us which ones you have?

> One note on this. I've had problems with the de* crashing, the
> compilers crashing, the de* causing the compiler to crash in the
> background, and many other combinations. In every case, I've been
> able to trace the problem to something in my own code that was corrupting
> random areas of memory that just happened to consistently be in the
> de*'s or IDE's partition, and I run one and a half rows of extensions
> across an 1152x870 monitor.

> Conclusions: 1. we need protected memory

I agree!!!!

Quote:>              2. the de* is very stable

OK.

Quote:>              3. make sure it's not your fault first

It is my fault, but it has nothing to do with my code.  Tis one of my *
system extension.

Post by Bill the C » Sun, 19 Feb 1995 01:04:49

> > Does anyone have any clues what extensions cause problems with the CW
> > de* for PPC Pascal?  (probably for the others, too, but I'm using PPC
> > Pascal right now)

> RamDoubler is one. If that's not the one causing your problem, why don't
> you tell us which ones you have?

> Dan Podwall
> Metrowerks, Inc.

Okay, here are a list of my extensions and control panels...

System 7.5

Extensions:
PowerPeek
EM Extension
Apple CD-ROM
Apple Photo Access
AppleScriptLib
AppleScript
AppleShare
Audio CD Access
CEToolbox
Clipping Extension
Color Cursor
Color Picker
ColorSync
De*INIT
File Sharing Extension
Find File Extension
Finder Scripting Extension
Foreign File Access
GlobalFax
GV Mercury/Gold/Silver
High Sierra File Access
InterSLIP
ISO 9660 File Access
LaserWriter
Macintosh Drag and Drop
Network Extension
Now Toolbox
ObjectSupportLib
PowerPC Finder Update
PowerPC Monitors Extension
QuickTime
QuickTime Musical Instruments
QuickTime PowerPlug
SCSI Manager 4.3
Serial Tool
StuffIt Deluxe Extension
StuffIt Engine
TCPack for AOL
Viewer Engine

Control Panels:
CP DriveLight Control Panel
Apple Menu Options
Auto Power On/Off
CloseView
Color Coordinator
Color7
ColorSync System
CPU Energy Saver
Date & Time
Easy Access
Extensions Manager
File Sharing Monitor
FileSaver
Flash-It 3.0.2
General Controls
InterSLIP Control
Keyboard
Labels
Launcher
Macintosh Easy Open
MacTCP
Map
Memory
Monitors
Mouse
Network
QuicKeys 2
Sharing Setup
Sound
Startup Disk
TelePort Serial
Text
Users  & Groups
WindowShade
WYSIWYG Menus
~Magic Menu

Bill Catambay
Pascal Programmer on Macintosh and Open VMS

              />
             //   The purpose of software engineering
     (//////[O]>=========================================-
             \\    is to manage complexity, not to create it.
              \>

1. Scripting Menu extension possible conflicts

CodeWarriors

The Scripting Menu extension that we install for the Magic Cap may cause
problems with  the 1.6 IDE. The most obvious symptom is that it IDE will
crash whenever the Scripting Menu extension is installed and you press
cmd-I to bring the message window to the front. Using the Scripting Menu
extension may cause problems with other applications as well.

As a fix, if you are not doing Magic Cap remove the Scripting Menu
extension, since it's only necessary for Magic Cap development. If you are
doing Magic Cap programming, you should download OSA Menu, which does the
same thing but is much better behaved. OSA Menu should be available from
all the usual places--umich, info-mac, etc.

So if you are not doing Magic Cap programming but installed it with
CodeWarrior heaven, you should remove the following extensions

(possibly harmful)
Scripting Menu Extension
ASFU Fixer 1.0.1

(large but not harmful)
KarmaExtension

(unnecessary but may be useful)
SoftwareFPU

Thanks for you patience in this.

Ron

--
METROWERKS                   Ron Liechty

2. DirectCD

3. 'sysz', Extensions and Conflict Catcher

4. Who invented Successive Refinement?

5. Conflict between GetScrap and the MW debugger?

6. Syntax help needed

7. CW6.1 Debugger/SIOUX conflicts?

8. The Symbol Grounding Problem

9. Conflict between patching ExitToShell and CodeWarrior debugger's Kill command

10. Ram Doubler/PPC Debug Services/CW Debugger Conflict

11. CodeWarrior Debugger conflict with The Tilery

12. CW Pro3 debugger and OS 8.5 conflict

13. DEBUGGER EXTENSIONS