DEBUGGER EXTENSIONS

Post by Tom Bry » Sat, 31 Dec 1994 15:08:31

I'm running code warrior 68k on a power mac 7100/66, and installed the
various de* extensions - DisposeResource, DoubleTrouble, and
EvenBetterBusError.

The problem is, my machine crashes constantly when these are installed.
Not that it detects errors - it just freezes, kicks the bucket, bombs,
etc. etc. For example, it commonly crashes just as the finder is
booting up and about to display the mounted volumes. And in various
other places. After reinstalling the system and all extensions fresh
from original CDs or the like, and disabling extensions set by set, I
located these three as the source of my bombs and am now living happily
ever after. I had the latest versions of these INITs from
ftp.apple.com.

Has anyone else had similar experiences? And does anyone know which of
the three it is that causes this, and why?

Thanks

Tom

Tom Bryce

DEBUGGER EXTENSIONS

Post by Avi Rappopor » Wed, 04 Jan 1995 04:03:31

> I'm running code warrior 68k on a power mac 7100/66, and installed the
> various de* extensions - DisposeResource, DoubleTrouble, and
> EvenBetterBusError.

> The problem is, my machine crashes constantly when these are installed.

..

The problem is that lots of programs are not terribly clean, so when you
put all three of these destructo-testing inits on, it gets truly messy.
They could be screwing each other up, as wll.

As the doctor said "don't do that!" (or use them one at a time and only
for stresstesting your programs).

Avi Rappoport
Metrowerks User Advocate & Documentation Lead

DEBUGGER EXTENSIONS

Post by OnyxTe » Wed, 04 Jan 1995 10:59:33

> > I'm running code warrior 68k on a power mac 7100/66, and installed the
> > various de* extensions - DisposeResource, DoubleTrouble, and
> > EvenBetterBusError.

> > The problem is, my machine crashes constantly when these are
> installed.

>The problem is that lots of programs are not terribly clean, so when you
>put all three of these destructo-testing inits on, it gets truly messy.
>They could be screwing each other up, as wll.

>As the doctor said "don't do that!" (or use them one at a time and only
>for stresstesting your programs).

Or if you'd really like that functionality all at the same time you can
use QC(tm) from Onyx Technology.  Among it's other stress tests, the
functionality of DisposeResource, DoubleTrouble and EBBE are in QC.  And
unlike those INITs you can just leave QC installed on your Mac all the
time and activate it when you want and on what apps/code you want.  There
is a fully functional demo of QC available on sumex (and mirror sites like
ftp.hawaii.edu).  If you have any questions, just let us know.

"I wrote DoubleTrouble, EvenBetterBusError, and DisposeHandle because I
needed them and they didn't exist yet.  Bo3b Johnson wrote Blat, Leaks,
and ZapHandles for pretty much the same reason - they didn't exist yet.
If QC had existed when I was debugging application compatibility problems
during 7.0 development, then I would have used it instead of taking the
time to write my own tools.  If you don't buy this tool right now, then
you're a bonehead.  Don't come crying to me when your code sucks because
you wouldn't spend $100."  - Greg Marriott, MacTech, Dec 1994.

dEVoN Hubbard
Onyx Technology

DEBUGGER EXTENSIONS

Post by Tracy Crid » Wed, 04 Jan 1995 09:39:21

> I'm running code warrior 68k on a power mac 7100/66, and installed the
> various de* extensions - DisposeResource, DoubleTrouble, and
> EvenBetterBusError.

> The problem is, my machine crashes constantly when these are installed.
> Not that it detects errors - it just freezes, kicks the bucket, bombs,

I've also experienced these pains from the DisposeResource and
EvenBetterBusError.  God what a nightmare; it didn't even tell you where
the error was from (EBBError).  It caused FAXcilitate to hand while it was
looking for a modem response.

Tracy

DEBUGGER EXTENSIONS

Post by Dan Wrig » Fri, 06 Jan 1995 18:49:25

>I'm running code warrior 68k on a power mac 7100/66, and installed the
>various de* extensions - DisposeResource, DoubleTrouble, and
>EvenBetterBusError.

>The problem is, my machine crashes constantly when these are installed.
[..snip..]
> And does anyone know which of
>the three it is that causes this, and why?

DoubleTrouble and DisposeResource don't know about the modern memory manager,
so I wouldn't use them when you have the MM on.

- Dan

--
Dan Wright