Objective-C in CW Professional

Post by Benedikt Stefansso » Thu, 14 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone in this group had experimented with the
Objective-C support for the PowerPC in CW Professional. I've heard that
the run-time system is not included yet - so is there any way to compile
a program in ObjC at this point?

-Benedikt

--
----------------

Department of Economics, UCLA       Fax. (310) 825-9528
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1477          Tel. (310) 825-1777

Objective-C in CW Professional

Post by Greg Galan » Fri, 15 Aug 1997 04:00:00

[snip]

Quote:> At this time Metrowerks isn't looking into providing robust support for
> Objective C on the current Mac OS as there is a great deal of runtime
> support that would be necessary to implement; this is something that
> Rhapsody will give us for free (as it's all built into the OS). It's just
> not worth it for Metrowerks right now to reinvent the wheel. This might
> change in the future, but I'm not making any promises nor guarentees.

[snip]

I should clarify this a bit. Metrowerks is working closely with Apple to
ensure that the YellowBoc on MacOS can be implemented and supported with
our tools.

As such, if and when Apple does have ObjC runtime support for MacOS in
order to support the YellowBox APIs, you should be able to use CodeWarrior
compilers in support of YellowBox.

More as we move closer to a solution. For the time being the MacOS Obj C++
compiler should be viewed as experimental.

-Greg

--
Greg Galanos, President and CTO, Metrowerks

Post by MW R » Fri, 15 Aug 1997 04:00:00

>Hi,

>I was just wondering if anyone in this group had experimented with the
>Objective-C support for the PowerPC in CW Professional. I've heard that
>the run-time system is not included yet - so is there any way to compile
>a program in ObjC at this point?

Currently the 1.9b1 compilers that ship in the "Prerelease" folder (read:
unsupported!) on CW Pro1 do support Objective C. This is both the 68K and
PPC compilers.

However, Metrowerks has only provided a RUNTIME environment for 68K. So
you can compile for PPC, just can't run (and probably can't really link
either). This is due to the fact the mini-runtime contains some 68K
assembly.

At this time Metrowerks isn't looking into providing robust support for
Objective C on the current Mac OS as there is a great deal of runtime
support that would be necessary to implement; this is something that
Rhapsody will give us for free (as it's all built into the OS). It's just
not worth it for Metrowerks right now to reinvent the wheel. This might
change in the future, but I'm not making any promises nor guarentees.

I do believe some third party has implemented a PPC-native runtime (just
took our stuff and recoded the 68K into PPC), but it's not Metrowerks
supported and I don't know the contact information for the author or URL.
Hopefully someone reading the newsgroups will know.

Anyways, take a look through the Objective C examples that are also
provided, and read the release notes and documentation included in those
archives. That should explain everything.

--
     METROWERKS                                   Ron Liechty

Post by Glenn Andre » Sun, 17 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> >Hi,

> >I was just wondering if anyone in this group had experimented with the
> >Objective-C support for the PowerPC in CW Professional. I've heard that
> >the run-time system is not included yet - so is there any way to compile
> >a program in ObjC at this point?

[snip]
> I do believe some third party has implemented a PPC-native runtime (just
> took our stuff and recoded the 68K into PPC), but it's not Metrowerks
> supported and I don't know the contact information for the author or URL.
> Hopefully someone reading the newsgroups will know.

That would probably be me.  I've added PPC assembly code to replace the 68K
code.  It can be downloaded at http://www.skypoint.com/members/gandreas.

On a related note, I've had some success getting a version of gnu's
libobject FoundationKit clone compiled and working (more or less), though
there are some compiler issues to be resolved (since there isn't an ANSI
standard for Objective C, and libobjects is written with a whole slew of
gcc-isms).  So, this is at least a proof of concept that you can do some
cool things with the experimental ObjC compiler on CWPro... (and gave me a
great oportunity to learn ObjC and FondationKit basics)

1. Objective Pascal meets Objective-C

Marcel Achim has just completed a white paper on the Extensions to
CodeWarrior Pascal.  It discusses extensions to Object Pascal as prompted
by Apple's Objective-C model for Rhapsody.  Marcel writes:

    The adoption of Objective-C by Apple has prompted the need to
    revise the current ObjectPascal language definition for the
    Macintosh. Since Objective-C leaves most of the object oriented
    support to the runtime initializations, most functionalities
    cannot be performed by the current ObjectPascal runtime. This
    document presents extensions to ObjectPascal to provide
    semantical compatibility with Objective-C syntactic contructs
    and runtime. Other constructs are added, they're collected from
    other languages and the Extended Pascal Standard.

The full white paper is now available at Pascal Central.

Check out the Pascal Central web site at:

http://www.catambay.com/pascal-central/

The intent of Pascal Central is to provide the pascal community one place
to obtain Pascal technical information, Pascal source code, and
Pascal-related internet links.

Cheers,
Bill

Bill Catambay
Software Developer, Marathon Map Maker, Pascal Central Editor
<http://www.catambay.com/pascal-central>

              />
             //   Excalibur: Morgana's Revenge is released!
     (//////[O]>=========================================-
             \\    <http://www.catambay.com/morgana>
              \>

2. Post-Doctoral Position (Fault Tolerant CORBA)

3. Cocoa/Objective-C in CW questions

4. FA: Claris AppleWorks GS

5. Objective-C in Linux and Solaris versions?

6. Don't look any further. This system WORKS!

7. Breaking on Objective-C NSLog

8. Startup

9. C++ to Objective-C

10. Metrowerks: will you bring Objective-C to the BeBox?

11. Java, C++ or Objective-C?

12. Objective-C

13. CW8 Combined C++ and Objective-C precompiled headers