CD-ROM Media Info?

Post by Steve Gehrma » Fri, 21 May 1999 04:00:00

I need to be able to determine the total capacity of a CD-ROM that is
mounted on a Mac.  This includes any non-Macintosh tracks.  Basically I want
to know if the CD is a 74 minute or an 80 minute cdrom.

thanks.

steve.

CD-ROM Media Info?

Post by Lewin A.R.W. Edward » Fri, 21 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I need to be able to determine the total capacity of a CD-ROM that is
> mounted on a Mac.  This includes any non-Macintosh tracks.  Basically I want
> to know if the CD is a 74 minute or an 80 minute cdrom.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I suspect you'll find that you need to read
the disk at a sector level and analyze the track lengths. If you're trying to
distinguish between [possibly not-entirely-full] CD-R media of differing sizes,
you'll definitely have to do this, and furthermore I have been told that this
operation is only possible if you're reading a CD-R drive, as CD-ROM drives
don't have firmware support for reading that information.

-- Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
Pragmatic Designs Inc.     AT&T PCS # 914.645.9098
<http://www.mobile.att.net/mc/mc_start.cgi>

1. need help installing cw10 tools cd from apple 8x cd-rom drive

i bought performa 6400 and want to learn programing, so i got cw but tools
cd does not install from 8x drive. metrowerks says it is apple's fault,
and you can imagine what apple says to that. does anyone have any creative
solutions?
i want to install enough so that i can do lab projects in the introductory
programming texts.
btw, mw recommends fwb cd-rom toolkit but i cant justify spending another
$60, so i can install a program, i suppose, i could buy a 4x drive, then
return it, but that seems dumb, well, i think the whole thing is stupid,
certainly puts a damper on my enthusiasm about my new shiny mac and cool
things it can do:(

2. Samba from Solaris to win95

3. New Macintosh CD-ROM Periodical

4. A1200 Question

5. FAILURE: CW10 & 8x CD-ROM ???

6. CD Numbering scheme and replacements...

7. Autorun on Codewarrior CD-ROM

8. Can't unroll loops when using "-O" Optimation and having defined labels with asm

9. Inside Mac CD-ROM

10. Do I need a CD-ROM drive to run CW 7 (vs. install)

11. CD-ROM Audio playback